5w20 or 5w30 pick a number !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Newly acquired 05 Dodge caravan with the 3.3 engine. It is a one owner and has 127k miles. Owners manual says to use 5w30 oil, oil cap says 5w20 oil. I have several receipts fro dealer oil changes over several years. Dealer has used both with no particular pattern. I live up in Maine. I asked the dealer and service adviser says it really makes no difference at all. Does it really Matter? Thanks

What is 'on sale'?
wink.gif

From your owners manual:

3.3/3.8 Liter Engine Oil Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 engine oil. Refer to your oil filler cap for correct
SAE grade, meeting DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API certified and meet
the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard
MS-6395.

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 3.3/3.8 Liter
Engines

SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating
temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature
starting and vehicle fuel economy. Refer to your engine
oil filler cap for the recommended engine oil viscosity for
your vehicle.
For information on engine oil filler cap location, refer to
the Engine Compartment illustration in this section.
Lubricants which do not have both, the engine oil certification
mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number
should not be used.

Synthetic Engine Oils
There are a number of engine oils being promoted as
either synthetic or semi-synthetic. If you chose to use
such a product, use only those oils that meet the American
Petroleum Institute (API) and have the correct SAE
viscosity grade. Follow the maintenance schedule that
describes your driving type.

With this info we can now debate what oil to use.

Thanks for the feedback. I did check my manual again but it does say 5w30 oil is preferred! Dealer has been doing the changes at 5k so I'll stick with that and use my old standby oil PYB. I had thought about synthetic but you folks have taught me to not put that stuff in an older high mileage motor like mine. It doesn't leak a drop now so no sence in starting it now. Thanks everyone.

I do x20 in the cold months and x30 in the warm months in the Tacoma. Doesn't matter, but makes sense to me logically.

Perhaps the previous owner lost the oil filler cap and replaced it with the wrong cap. You could check with someone who has the same year and engine and see what their cap says. Or simply go to the dealership parts counter and ask for a cap and see what they give you (I am sure if they are not too busy they will look for you).

Its a known oil burning engine.

Change PCV valve.
Run a couple changes on 5w20. See if oil usage is bad..

My mother in laws was using a qt every 1k miles.
Changed to AMSOIL 10W30 XL series, and the first change it slowed it to 1qt every 3k. Next change 1qt every 4-4500 miles or so. Last change I just did was 1qt every 6k miles.

On the amsoil product application guide, it calls for 5w 20. I wonder if you got a model caught in production during the change. Perhaps they were going to 5w20 that year, yours was already on the assembly line and the manual was already printed , yet you got the new cap?
Reason i say that is if i look up an 04 caravan with the 3.3 it comes up spec'd for 5w 30. Your van may have been right in the middle of the change over to 5w 20.

Last edited:
great reply's. I have actually driven it about 3k miles and it has not used any oil at all. Still full and looks clean. Last slip from the dealer shows they changed it at 124200 and used 5w30. the window sticker says it's due for a change at 129200

I'm running M1 0w40 in my 3.8. It seems to like it. I don't think it will hurt it, and it gives me peace of mind when crawling off road in low range in high temperatures. It appears to be excellent in sub zero temps, too.

Do you have any other vehicles that you maintain? If so, what oil do they use? I'd say to use what they use.

So if you have another car and it takes 5w-30, that's what I'd use to simplify everything so I don't have to keep buying two different oil weights. Even if the other vehicle was using synthetic, I'd keep the weights the same so that you can use either oil as top-up oil in either vehicle should they ever need it.

Those engines have gained a reputation for burning oil. I'd replace the PCV valve with an OEM valve, as someone already suggested. I'd use either a 5W30 conventional oil, or if you prefer synthetic oil, Mobil 1 0W30 would be my first choice.

Last edited:
we do have 2 other cars but neither uses the same grade of oil. 2012 Honda civic uses 0w20 synthetic and a 1993 240 Volvo calls for 10w30. civic gets M1 and the Volvo gets PYB. Just last year I again started doing my own changes after reading all the info about quick change salons.

If you plan on using synthetic, I'd use the 0w-20 you use for your Honda. If you plan on using conventional, I'd use 5w-30 and would switch the Volvo over to 5w-30 to simplify things.

Originally Posted By: erniem
Thanks for the feedback. I did check my manual again but it does say 5w30 oil is preferred!

Really? I saw no mention of 5w30...it was a 2005 Caravan, right? Anyhow, you are well out of warranty so you can use whatever you like...preferably whatever is readily available and reasonably priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back