5w20 experiment coming to a close soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw how well regular Pennzoil 5w20 did in my Chrysler, and Johnny was kind enough to donate a case of 5w20 synthetic for comparison. That part of the "experiment" will be coming to a close soon.

As a follow-up, I thought I'd go the other direction and see how a 10w40 does in comparison. What do you guys think?

G-man, I'd like to see Pennzoil 5w-40 synthetic as a comparison. We just don't see much of this oil on this board.

Don't forget, since you used Pennzoil, check those valve covers for sludge! Now, and at 400,000 miles.
wink.gif

pennzoil 5w40 synthetic is so rare that it is not an option for most people. therefore i would recomend texting somthing that everyone can easily purchase, like the aformentioned 10w40, or even the 15w40 long life perhaps
tongue.gif

Thank you for all your efforts and I look forward to seeing the results.
bowdown.gif

I personally don't have a lot of interest in the 10W-40. I have a forgone conclusion that you will see some sluggishness and reduced fuel economy with no better wear. Maybe you can prove or dis-prove this.

My Mitsu 4 banger and GM 3800 Series II just don't like the 40 wts., so even if wear was zero, I won't go there. I don't won't to be bogged down especially on the 2.0L 4-cyl. It likes the PZ 30's noticeably. I ran Castrol 10W-40 Syntec at only 13 cst or so (don't remember exact #, but lite) and it slugged up some in the V-6.

I think testing the PZ HM Blend @ about 12cst in 10W-30 would be very, very interesting. I would really like to see that and I think it could benefit many with older engines with isssues while still being fine for new ones.

Any interest in the HM 10W-30???
cheers.gif

Kinda the PZ dino version of GC me thinks.
grin.gif

[ December 06, 2004, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

Thanks for sharing your data. I'd like to see how one of the new GF-4 5w30 compares, especially Motocraft 5w30. Let's see if the improved basestock and lower phosphorus of an GF-4 is up to the task.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Thanks for sharing your data. I'd like to see how one of the new GF-4 5w30 compares, especially Motocraft 5w30. Let's see if the improved basestock and lower phosphorus of an GF-4 is up to the task.

Good point, but I think we wil start to see a lot of that anyway. I will post one of these in the future on Motorcraft in GF-4 in the Ford modular. I bet we'll get lot's.

I want to see the PZ data.

quote:

Any interest in the HM 10W-30???

Patman has brainwashed me, go for HM 5W-30 instead. I have no numbers to back me up, but I think 5W-30 is more relevant to most dino users these days.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

quote:

Good point, but I think we wil start to see a lot of that anyway. I will post one of these in the future on Motorcraft in GF-4 in the Ford modular. I bet we'll get lot's.

Yeah, but with those aluminum bearings in a Ford Modular, you really can't tell much about bearing wear.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
G-ManII I would like to see a 15W40 instead of 10W40. I think you can get a better oil that way!

I think it gets a little too cold here during the winter months for a 15w40 in my engine. I'd be concerned about cold start lubrication to my overhead cams.

G-Man, I assume you're staying with Pennzoil?
If so, I feel that it's a more fair comparison to use the 5w-40 synthetic. It should have a more comparable base oil blend to your "reference oils", and an SAE 5w cP viscosity; - same as two of your three "test" oils.
Sure the 5w-40 can be a little difficult to locate,
but any store that carries Pennzoil can order it for you!
smile.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

quote:

Yeah, but with those aluminum bearings in a Ford Modular, you really can't tell much about bearing wear.

This is very true. I can't tell enough to even engage in the great 5-20/5-30 debates on this one. I know it would be heresy to put Motorcraft in a GM, but I've thought about it.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back