5w20 2006 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice ride, Jt. I love my 05 GT Convertible.

Motorcraft 5W-20 is what I use, with Motorcraft filters. I confess I don't really trust the "20", so I won't go beyond 4,000 km (2,500 miles), but you can't beat the UOAs posted here.

And I'm a little obsessive. I want only clean oil in this beautiful engine. Did my first oil and filter change at 821 km (about 510 miles). Second oil and filter change at 2,981 km (about 1,800 miles). She'll get her third change in about a month just before she goes away for the winter, at around 6,000 km (4,000 miles).

May go synthetic in the spring, but will stay with 5W-20.

Enjoy your ride!

Likewise here with my '98 GT Vert!

I bought this car about 6 months ago, with 72K on
it. It had a sticker from a local oil change place
that suggested it was using 10W-30. I've since
switched it to 5W-20, and it literally doesn't use
a drop.

I use 0W-20 Mobil 1 in the Maranello 575 and 0W-30 in the Murcielago. I am using 5W-20 Red Line in my Maybach now. If I had your car I would use the MC 5W-20 as in my Expedition.

I drive all cars with spirit here in Florida.

aehaas

I know that the crank and the rods have been changed

umm where did you here that? they are the same basic setup unchanged since 93. they only changed the heads to 3 valve heads. same thing for the 5.4 and 6.8.

quote:

Originally posted by Jtgrant:
did Ford really redesign the 4.6 3valve for the 5w20 oil or is that a CAFE thing? I have heard that the tolerances on the bearing where changed to like .001-.0018. That is pretty small. I know that the crank and the rods have been changed from the 4.6 2 valve. I would rather have protection over better emissions and mpg. But hey if the motor is design to handle the 5w20 then I guess it is the right choice. I just want to run what is best for the car.

Thanks

The main bearing tolerances on the aluminum block versions are the above cold since the block grows the clearances another 0.002" when warm. Started in the early 90's and the Lincoln Mark8. The iron block versions are regular 0.0025" or so on the mains.

An issue I have found with the Ford 4.6 and oiling is the camshaft rubbing the heads on a dry start. The head does not have a seperate cam bearing, it is cut directly into the aluminum in the head. When you pull some of these apart you see the galling on both the cam and head. This might explain the aluminum and iron in some of the UOA of these motors.

As far as I can tell The 4.6 has not been redesigned over its life span to use lighter oil. It is an engine that lives quite well on light weight oil, as long as you can keep enough in the pan at RPM. All the problems I have heard with it is that the oil gets pumped into the heads faster than it can drain back to the pan, and for high RPM extended use you need a bigger pan. The Mark 8 version had a 6 quart pan to give an idea.

quote:

Originally posted by Jtgrant:
no the whole engine was redesigned.

Not true, though the engine has small differences from just about every year and both versions (Windsor and Romeo) Alot of parts will bolt back and forth between the 2V, 3V and 4V versions.

I must have been given false information, sorry. I guess the dealership was blowing smoke up my butt! I was just wondering if a 5w30 syn would be better than a 5w20 syn. I was told that everything on the new modular motors (4.6 3valve and 4valve, 5.4) are new from the ground up.

yeah I know that I once worked at one, also for a few independent shops. I am currently going to UTI right now. Hopefully BMW step after that got a 4.0. Wish me luck

If it were mine, I would use MoCraft 5-20 and FL820S filter.

Ford vehicle and Ford oil/filter = no problems

3k mile OCI for first 3-4 OCI's then 5k mile OCI's, unless driven under "servere conditions" the 3k mile OCI all the way.

Thats a great oil/filter combo for well under $20!

5w20 it is, thanks everyone. I am going to run MC 5w20 for 5000 miles then switch to syn Mobil 5w20

I'd choose either, with a slight inclination towards redline if you drive real hard more than occasionally They will both do excellently even if you extend the oci to ~7000miles.(Though I wouldnt till your warranty runs out.) I'd use just about any filter except a fram.

I'm a new owner of an '06 Mustang GT
grin.gif
too and have a couple cases of Schaeffers 7000 5w30 laying around. Is this OK to run or should I stay with 5W20? Thanks

20w-50 would probably be just fine in an 06 GT if the ambient starting temps were high. 5w-30 is A-OK. By the way, how does someone who calls themself "Goat" dude stumble into a Ford dealer?
tongue.gif

goatdude,
Don't sweat using Schaeffers 5W-30. As long as you use the Motorcraft 820S oilfilter and change within the 5,000 mile/6 month warranty requirement you'll be fine unless your dealer is a total pr*ck. With IL winter's Schaeffers MAY give you some cold starting noise in the extreme cold temps compared to the Motorcraft 5W-20. But if it's a few seconds of noise I wouldn't worry. The oil filter seems to cause cold engine starting oil starvation more than the viscosity of the oil when comparing a Ford rated 5W-20 with a true semi-synthetic 5W-30's, such as Schaeffer's Supreme Blend oils.

Whimsey

20w-50 would probably be just fine in an 06 GT if the ambient starting temps were high. 5w-30 is A-OK. By the way, how does someone who calls themself "Goat" dude stumble into a Ford dealer?

This is my second time I have stumbled into the same Ford dealer, dealt with the same salesperson and bought a Mustang. Weird ain't it? Almost 10 years ago to the day I bought a 1996 Cobra and now have an '06 GT. Really like my GT the test drive totally blew me away as I expected the GT to be a slow ***. Compared to the Cobra the GT has better low end torque and feels just as quick overall. My 96 Cobra with 4.30 gears, suspension work, aftermarket shifter, a fresh coat of Turtle Wax, underdrive pullies, K-Mart dingle balls, a larger MAF, K&N filter and BFG drag radials could only manage 13.4 @ 103! The GT with a few mods people have in the high 12's @ 107-108! Shows the GTs can perform. I would have bought a new GTO being loyal to the marque and all but didn't like the bland bland styling and besides, it really didn't feel any quicker or more nimble than the 'stang. Certainly didn't sound better! Sold the 1967 GTO in April, all projects come to an end. GTO went to a good home and will be missed dearly. I am still goatdude who now drives a **** Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back