5w20 2006 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen the great number that MC5w20 has earned. Should I run Redline 5w20, MC5w20, or extended performance 5w30 (Almost a 5w20) in the new stang? Thanks

What's your intended oil change interval? I personally wouldn't run the MC oil longer than 5k but would consider longer intervals with either the Redline or M1 EP.

3k but I want to run syn. Before this car I had a E36 M3 I ran the Mobil 15w50 and changed it every 3k. I think that it was too thick for the car, but everyone was using it.

why overkill? maybe more expensive but better for the engine. It's like having fresh oil all the time.

Well...Amsoil XL 5w-20 would probably do just as well for 25% less.

Clean does not necessairly mean better.

It's about the right oil for the right application, more expensive isn't necessairly better.

If you race or drive VERY hard, then Redline may be a better choice.

Mike

welcome.gif

3K OCI is a waste of a good synthetic.
If you insist on 3K intervals then run MC.

Amsoil XL 5w-20 and MC Filter @5K drains. $5/qt, dirt cheap, when you buy it at pref. customer cost. See site sponsorer Mike Sparks.

RL 5w-20 is also an excellent oil, but overkill for 5K drains.

Mike

what oil???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I prefer the syn oil though. Redline 5w20 Mobil 1 5w20 or Mobil Ext. 5w30.

MotorCraft 5W20 is great oil and probably has quite a bit of synthetic in it. It also posts really good UOA's. If you are going to have such short OCI's make sure that you do not change brands. If you want to go short interval, use motorcraft for 3k oci or Redline for 5k interval. If you are willing to spend the money, I would pick Redline over Mobil 1.

It's ok to use Red Line if you want to. Great oil, costs more but lubricates and protects well and does a great job keeping the engine clean on the inside. If you want to pony up the extra, it ok. I use it and have had good results for 15 years or so.

i'll run mc for 5000 miles then run redline 5w20. Why not change brands if you change the oil more frequently? Winston

did Ford really redesign the 4.6 3valve for the 5w20 oil or is that a CAFE thing? I have heard that the tolerances on the bearing where changed to like .001-.0018. That is pretty small. I know that the crank and the rods have been changed from the 4.6 2 valve. I would rather have protection over better emissions and mpg. But hey if the motor is design to handle the 5w20 then I guess it is the right choice. I just want to run what is best for the car.

Thanks

Because you will not get optimal results when frequently switching chemistries due to additive clash. It’s also best to stick with one chemistry to establish trends in oil analysis.

5w-20 is fine. Viscosity is rarely the reason for abnormal wear, abnormal wear is often cause by problems such as fuel dilution, chemical ingestion or dirt. Thinner oils do flow better for more rapid heat dissipation and may have better solvency.

Mike

Motorcraft 5w20 oil (assuming that 5w20 is spec) and Motorcraft filters would be ideal for your short interval. A 3K interval would mean a complete waste of a synthetic oil, which are meant for use with longer intervals. Congrats on the sweet ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back