5w-40 or 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007-up diesels. Using Amsoil Premium cj-4 only. Which would you use the 5w-40 or the 15w-40???

The 15w40 CJ-4 Amsoil is a little cheaper than the 5w40 and it has a pour point of -40. Couldn't see why you wouldn't use it. If the temp was even down to -20F or below, I would have an oil pan heater on the engine anyway regardless of 15w40 or 5w40. Either choice is good, it's just a matter of what your gut tells you.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
2007-up diesels. Using Amsoil Premium cj-4 only. Which would you use the 5w-40 or the 15w-40???

What truck/engine?

How cold does it get in the winter? For how long?

I'd probably go with the 5W-40 and be done with it.

I'm going to use the Amsoil AME 15W-40 (current fill, CI4 + rated) this winter. The AME is a thinner 15W-40 then the newer CJ-4 stuff. I live in SW Missouri and it doesn't stay real cold for long.

I've used the Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40 and Shell 5W-40 with great results.

I have a 2006 6.0l Powerstroke Diesel. These engines need a thinner oil in the winter to operate the injectors properly. The PSD uses engine oil at a high pressure to push the plunger down on the injectors. So thinner is better in the winter.

I'll keep you posted to see if the Amsoil AME 15W-40 will do the trick this winter!

I've read somewhere that if the spec existed, then the AME would more or less flow like a 7W-40 or 8W-40, but is still labeled a 15W-40 for familiarity and marketing reasons.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I've read somewhere that if the spec existed, then the AME would more or less flow like a 7W-40 or 8W-40, but is still labeled a 15W-40 for familiarity and marketing reasons.

Thank you!!
It looks like I'll be fine for winter then!!

I've thought of it but:
1) Lowest temps in my area are -30 F. = -34.5 C., within specs of 5W40 but out of range for 10W and 15W40.
2) There are exactly 3 oils with X Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 is 228.3 but not 228.5. My owners' manual clearly strongly endorses 228.5 oils if obtainable. In fact, with this oil, if EGR is not on engine 1200 hr OCIs are possible under the right running conditions.
However, if I were in Fairbanks I would use John Deere +50 0W40. And an oil pan heater.

Charlie

Jerre 310, I think it literally depends on where in PA you are. It can get pretty nippy in Potter County late January. I would say that you'll have fewer issues overall with the 5W-40 of any flavor. I am of the Mobil 5W40 for winter persuasion.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Why is the winter weight on a deisel so much thicker than a gasoline engine? 15w40 vs 5w30.

--About 25 points of viscosity spread (40 - 15 = 25) is about the best that can be done with a conventional oil without a big slug of polymer viscosity index improvers...which don't lubricate, they just fool the viscosity testing.

--The diesel engine is built to handle the higher viscosity without added heat except in frigid conditions.

--That's what folks are used to using.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
I read somewhere that Canada will be getting a 0w40 version of Mobil Delvac -- maybe in Alaska too?

It's already out....Delvac1 ESP 0W40.
Still waiting for the pdf spec sheet.

Hi,
one reason why I was keen to try the 5W-40 over a 15W-40 semi-synthetic and 15W-40 mineral luricant was the cold start flow factor

In heavy diesel engines this is important (load on starter/batteries) and the potential for both differential and system by-pass to be deactivated earlier. Using Synteq FF filters and later, a centrifuge and SS FF filters, this was achieved

With up to nearly 80 litres of lubricant and coolant to get up to and around "core" operating temperature quickly this - at least to me - was a major consideration

I would only use a 5W-40 or 0W-40 HDEO (subject to ambient) in any heavy diesel engine I was to purchase

A 0w40 HDEO oil would be good those in the northern contiguous US too. The only two 0w40s for our older TDIs are M1 Euro 0w40 and Redline 0w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back