5w-30 conventional crossed out on work order

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do my own oil changes, like most on here. Took my 4 Runner in for a free service, but I just had them rotate the tires and lube the drive shaft.

On the original work order, he had listed the oil change with 5w-30 conventional. Again, he crossed it out.

Of course, it takes 0w-20.

Maybe the tech would have caught it. Who knows. Just one more reason to do your own...

Maybe they listed it as whatever is the easiest service to get the results you wanted and merely crossed out what was unnecessary. It seems like something that was more of a keystroke issue versus a dealership not putting in the correct oil that they were instructed not to put in

Sounds like the field might be populated automatically or they just typed it in out of habit and crossed it out later. Even if they DID change the oil, what's the big deal? I'm sure your engine is spec'd for 5W-30 (in addition to the 0W-20 you usually run), so you just get a free oil change out of the deal.

It's very unlikely any detrimental events would have occurred when (theoretically) filled with 5W-30, other than perhaps a reduction of fuel economy.

Free is free. Most would rather having 5w30. Either way it your engine won't know and I seriously doubt the fuel pump use will either. I actually got better fuel mileage on 10w30 then 5w20.

Whenever you don't do it yourself there is a reasonably good chance the vehicle is not going to get what it is "spec'd" for, even at dealerships.

A good many Jeep I-6's have been fed conventional 5w20 simply because it was what was stocked in bulk at Jeep dealers, a definite no - no for that venerable engine.

But a 5w30 instead of 0w20 is nothing more than an annoyance, the other way around maybe not so much. All my 20 grade spec'd vehicles get 30's and they live happy long lives on it.

With a free oil change, wouldn't surprise me if they put in bulk 10W30 and sent you down the road.

The dealer tech sneezed.....one more reason to do your own........KCJeep and MClasser seem to have crystal balls and can predict events at dealers.

Love these bash the dealer threads......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
The dealer tech sneezed.....one more reason to do your own........KCJeep and MClasser seem to have crystal balls and can predict events at dealers.

Most people these days seem to do their job "just good enough" and take no pride in their work. You don't have to use a crystal ball to know this, just interact with a company you need customer service from once or twice.

Yeah, not everyone is a crook, but if a company can save a few bucks by using bulk 5w30 instead of 0w20, they will.

There are boat loads of comments out there on threads where users ask if they should use oil viscosity X when oil viscosity Y is spec'd. The reasoning is usually the same...why second guess engineers who have determined the specification.

Now you get a thread here where people say oil is oil and the engine doesn't care so who cares what the dealer might use?

And to let people know, if they had put in 5w-30 conventional, can we all agree that oil might not hold up for the spec'd 10,000 mile OCI whereas 0w-20 FS might have a better shot at that goal?

Last edited:
Did you check the dipstick? I would think oil that fresh should be easy to tell apart from oil that's been in there, unless you just changed it.

You more than likely got what you want. Takes a manager to void/ override a work order, so the tech or the junior grade service writer scribbled it out and fixed it. This is actually a good thing.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: CKN

Most people these days seem to do their job "just good enough" and take no pride in their work. You don't have to use a crystal ball to know this, just interact with a company you need customer service from once or twice.

Yeah, not everyone is a crook, but if a company can save a few bucks by using bulk 5w30 instead of 0w20, they will.

You must have bought your crystal ball at the same place......

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Very, Very true.

And essentially, If 0W-20 is specified and it got filled with 5W-30, you would likely never tell the difference (unless it's very cold outside).

I seriously doubt you could damage a 0w-20 spec'd engine by consistently running 5W-30 in it as long as normal OCI's are practiced.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
...why second guess engineers who have determined the specification.

Well, um, the engineers didn't "determine the specification". The CAFE bureaucrats did.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I seriously doubt you could damage a 0w-20 spec'd engine by consistently running 5W-30 in it as long as normal OCI's are practiced.

Yes, especially when the exact same engine is actually spec'ed for a heavier weight all around the globe, except for units sold in the CAFE spec'ed U.S.

Originally Posted By: Polly_3SFE
Did you check the dipstick? I would think oil that fresh should be easy to tell apart from oil that's been in there, unless you just changed it.

It may not look much different in color if he recently changed his anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back