5w-20 vs 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by blufeb95
[Linked Image]

I'd consider running 10w30 in it, since it's permissible above 0F , I assume it never gets that cold in Texas

Looks like, at temperatures above 20 F, the manufacturer does not care what oil you use.
laugh.gif

Based on the chart I'd use 5W30. In fact w/o looking at the chart I would have used 5W30, especially in the OP's DI engine equipped vehicle. Kudos to Hyundai to give you a choice!!

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Interesting quandary - by nature a 5W-20 generally has to consist of better base oils than a 5W-30 has to..
Does it ?

how have you determined this ?
Am I wrong?

5W-20 contains less VII and has a thicker -- yes, thicker -- base oil than 5W-30 -- because it has less VII than 5W-30, which means it can achieve the same MRV with a thicker base oil, as the VII content increases the MRV. So, if thicker is better, 5W-20 has a better base oil.

In terms of actual base-oil quality (like oxidation resistance, viscosity index, or API group), you need to consider the Noack. Since 5W-20 uses a thicker base oil, it can achieve the Noack requirement of a given certification (such as 13% for dexos1 Gen 2) using a lower-quality base oil than 5W-30, as the Noack is inversely proportional to the base-oil quality. So, in terms of actual base-oil quality, you can get away with a slightly lower-quality base oil for a 5W-20 than for a 5W-30. However, in practice, blenders will use the same base-stock slate, meaning they will use different ratios of the 4 cSt, 6 cSt, 8 cSt, etc. base stocks of a given type and quality, and the quality will be identical more or less.

All this said I prefer the 5W-20, as it will usually have a lower Noack (for the reasons explained), less VII, and a thicker base oil, not to mention better fuel economy, as long as the HTHS viscosity (2.6 - 2.7 cP) is sufficient for your application and/or driving conditions.

Originally Posted by joel95ex
i don't care about fuel economy, but would like your opinions about when the manual says both 5w-20 and 5w-30 are acceptable. i've always run 5 or 10w-30 in my vehicles. climate is not a concern as i live where it's well-within all of the temp ranges. vehicle is a 2018 santa fe with the 2.4 gdi

From one Joe to another Joe....
Owning two Korean models myself, I like your PP choice and running 5 or 10w30 is your best option also. Limiting your OCIs to Severe Service - meaning 4-5K OCIs is most important during warranty time.

Keep all receipts and make sure mandatory service requirements are met.

[Linked Image]

I'd consider running 10w30 in it, since it's permissible above 0F , I assume it never gets that cold in Texas

Looks like, at temperatures above 20 F, the manufacturer does not care what oil you use.
laugh.gif

Only on the 2.0L Turbo Engine, OP had the N/A 2.4L

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I think like you, and also being in Texas, I prefer 5W/30 as well. I run 5W/30 in a Jeep and a RAM that call for 5W/20 but both motors were originally (in years past) spec'd 5w/30 so it is a safe choice for HEMI and Pentastar motors. All my GM's are running 5w/30 as well.

I am in Louisiana and I am running 5w20 just to hopefully prevent a problem down the road. I will run Synthetic since I am doing yearly oil changes. Synthetic Blend seems to be doing great but only 5 months in at this time.

[Linked Image]

laugh.gif

Semantics. For the 2.4 you can use 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 at temps above 0F.

[Linked Image]

laugh.gif

Semantics. For the 2.4 you can use 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 at temps above 0F.

Yep.. and even though he can, and I would, run a 10w30, there are plenty of "thick" 5w30's to choose from that would prolly work just fine here.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I think like you, and also being in Texas, I prefer 5W/30 as well. I run 5W/30 in a Jeep and a RAM that call for 5W/20 but both motors were originally (in years past) spec'd 5w/30 so it is a safe choice for HEMI and Pentastar motors. All my GM's are running 5w/30 as well.

I am in Louisiana and I am running 5w20 just to hopefully prevent a problem down the road. I will run Synthetic since I am doing yearly oil changes. Synthetic Blend seems to be doing great but only 5 months in at this time.

Hey Tiger, did you get flooded just recently from the Pearl River?
Also, have you eaten any crawfish yet this year? We are having a boil next Saturday.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by tiger862

Hey Tiger, did you get flooded just recently from the Pearl River?
Also, have you eaten any crawfish yet this year? We are having a boil next Saturday.

No I am high and dry. I did pass by the river (6 miles away) and it was high. Seen a person try to drive through the flooded road cause he had a 4 wheel drive until he started floating then he backed up to get out. I was supposed to go to Lafayette this morning but wife is sick so I didn't get my crawfish this morning (bil runs crawfish ponds) but I did get some earlier in year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back