5w-20 vs 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post. We bought an'08 Sequoia with the 5.7 and have had the dealer do the 2 oil changes that have been done so far. The first showed on the invoice that 5w-20 was used and the second, last week, shows 5w-30. I called and asked if this was a typo, or did they use 5w-20. He first replied that it was a typo, that the service writer just didn't change the weight when the invoice was written up, then said that I needed 5w-30 because the weather was getting hotter. Should I request a new oil change with the owner's manual recommended oil? Or, just drive it as is? I currently have just over 10,000 miles on it.
Thanks

Welcome to the boards. I wouldn't worry over it. The same engine is recommended 20W-50 at this end, although that is too thick for my liking. 5W-30 would do very nicely in the 5.7, especially in higher temperature conditions.

I think your fine with either weight oil. With summer coming and being in Texas I wouldn't sweat the 5w30 at all. It goes to show that the only way to be certain what oil goes into your vehicle is changing it yourself.

We live in southern Alabama a few miles from the Florida line and have long hot summers here too.

We run Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 year around in both vehicles.

Had a similar thing happen recently with my daughter's Civic. Only 10w30 was used instead of 5w20, and overfilled by 1/2qt.

The good folks here said no worries. So, my mind was put at ease.

That said, it confirmed for me, that if want a job done right..yada...yada...yada.
LOL.gif

Especially with an oil and filter change.

Oh and......
welcome2.gif

A couple things.

I would dump that dealer immediately. He sounds incompetent. Same guy would bust your chops for using the wrong viscosity. What a joke.

While a 5W-30 will hurt nothing, some of the same folks in the very next post may very well tell someone to follow the manual!

Lastly, learn to do it yourself, and learn that you can do it right. I would not hesitate to run 0W/5W-20 in any hot climate.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

While a 5W-30 will hurt nothing, some of the same folks in the very next post may very well tell someone to follow the manual!

Lastly, learn to do it yourself, and learn that you can do it right. I would not hesitate to run 0W/5W-20 in any hot climate.

+1

AD

I guess I will run the 5w-30 for 5000 miles and then do it myself on the next umpteen changes. Thanks for all the replies! And I look forward to finding out more about oil!

Originally Posted By: hogpops
I guess I will run the 5w-30 for 5000 miles and then do it myself on the next umpteen changes. Thanks for all the replies! And I look forward to finding out more about oil!

The vast majority on this site tend to over-think their oil decisions. Most of us learned everything we needed to know about oil in kindergarten.

You and I both know that you probably won't be able to sleep unless you change that oil out. LOL. If you have been reading these posts, the oil has probably already been changed. Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back