5K synthetic oil change a waste of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I don't think it's a waste of money at all in a turbo application that tends to cook oil. You want to keep it changed out to prevent varnish from occurring.

Depends on the turbo and use. I have lots of customers running turbo diesels 20,000 miles or more on Amsoil AME. For gas engines, Amsoil recommends up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever occurs first. For aftermarket turbos or racing, I would recommend UOA.

No, 5k synthetic oil changes are not a waste of money in turbo applications. Within the next month i plan on getting an evo or sti and will run 5k synthetic oil changes.

Quote:

Nope.

Just buy on sale/rebate oils - last month synpower was $.99/qt after rebate.

YEP

im all over the cheap synthetics, my stash right now is around 80 qts of pp, synpower, and havoline.

With your synthetics and owners manual, I'd stick with the 5,000 miles. With Amsoil PAO, I'd go the warranted 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Both my engines (2.4l Toyota and 5.6l Nissan) are hard on oil, therefore I stick to 5k on Pen Platinum or QS Syn. They are on sale BOGO at AA quite often and the extra margin of error makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not to mention the warranty requirements that Toyota has since the sludge-fest a few years back. Just my .02 worth.

I would run a quality SM brand name conventional …say, like Castrol GTX in a turbo for 5k miles …if … I was doing the oil changes myself. (so I know what’s going into my crank … have a little bit of distrust towards fast lube places and what they’re putting into motors … whether warranted or not). I trust the oil quality in off-the-shelf products because the manufacturers have a reputation at stake.

I would also make sure to check the oil level often so it doesn’t run low -- low oil levels in a turbo application will kill the oil quickly even if it’s a quality GII.

On the other hand, nothing wrong with the extra protection of synthetics in a high heat environment. Probably 5-7k miles depending on the service.

I change mine at 5K since Synthetic @ 5K = same cost of Dino @ 3K. Also, I run very short little in town runs in my car and 5k is usually 6-months for me.

It is a waste because the oil still should have lots of life left in it.The major problem with turbos is when the enging is shut down with the turbo hot. Most all of the over the road trucks run petro oil and have turbos and run and run.

Quote:

just wondering what you guys would run for oci's in a turbo application?

The real trick is to run your oil of choice to the miles you think is correct then do a uoa to check how the oil is holding up.That is how the big boys do it .

Driving all day is easier on oil than repeated short trips. If you drove your car all day instead of 5 mile trips here and 3 mile trips there, with start up / shut off several times a day, you could easily extend your OCI to 15,000 miles. Fuel dilution, moisture buildup and hundreds of heat cycles are why the typical household vehicle needs more frequent OCIs.

If you study up on the uoa posts how many oils show bad wear numbers in 5,000 mile oil change intervals? And how are they compared to syn oils in the same miles ..

Quote:

just wondering what you guys would run for oci's in a turbo application?

On forced induction cars I like to use hours on engine run time versus miles. One set of miles can be very different from another. Less so with hours of engine run time. I use hours only for the GTO OCI's....

What does Mazda recommend for your car?

Best is to do somewhat short changes (maybe the severe service recommendation?) until the break in is complete (check the site for other UOAs to see if you can figure it out) then do a UOA after a 5k run. That'll tell you if it's a waste for your car or not.

Over the road diesels are not relevant to passenger cars. They've got huge sumps, multiple filters, bypass filters, etc. Different engines, different applications, different requirements. Just different.

I've got a turbo car and do 5k OCIs with synthetic. I've also done a few UOAs. Search my name and Saab and you'll find them.

So unlike some others here I'm semi-qualified (ok maybe barely qualified
laugh.gif
) to comment, and I have a vested interest in knowing the right answer - for my car.

The answer to your question is, not necessarily. For some cars 5k is probably all you should go. That's what I've found so far with my Saab. The TBN takes a beating and shearing is kicking in at 5k. Fuel dilution doesn't help and the car is a documented sludger. TBN is still in the ok range but I like to stay on the safe side
smile.gif

jeff

Quote:

5K synthetic oil change a waste of money?

Get a UOA done afterwards - should you want a much longer OCI. Analysis is the best way to determine oil life. Nobody here online can tell you if you're wasting money or not.

I prefer 5-6K synthetic OCIs to maintain a cleaner engine.

Quote:

What does Mazda recommend for your car?

Best is to do somewhat short changes (maybe the severe service recommendation?) until the break in is complete (check the site for other UOAs to see if you can figure it out) then do a UOA after a 5k run. That'll tell you if it's a waste for your car or not.

Over the road diesels are not relevant to passenger cars. They've got huge sumps, multiple filters, bypass filters, etc. Different engines, different applications, different requirements. Just different.

I've got a turbo car and do 5k OCIs with synthetic. I've also done a few UOAs. Search my name and Saab and you'll find them.

So unlike some others here I'm semi-qualified (ok maybe barely qualified
laugh.gif
) to comment, and I have a vested interest in knowing the right answer - for my car.

The answer to your question is, not necessarily. For some cars 5k is probably all you should go. That's what I've found so far with my Saab. The TBN takes a beating and shearing is kicking in at 5k. Fuel dilution doesn't help and the car is a documented sludger. TBN is still in the ok range but I like to stay on the safe side
smile.gif

jeff

When it comes to turbos there is not nuch difference at all when it comes to what the turbo and oil sees in use ,plus the drains on semis is 10 to 25,000 + miles depending on many factors .Lets say around 10 to 12ish gallons of oil" I have changed enough oil on them to know" with a bypass filter ,I have never seen a semi with out one . More or less the standard 855 cube inch Cummins, 903 cubic inches I think for the Cats although there are smaller and bigger. I am more tham semi qualified. I have been out of the business for 7 years and there are other guys on the site more qualified IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back