57K oil change update

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

So, just an update on this car here.

I borrowed this car while mine was parked on some sketchy side street after shooting a plug out the cylinder head. It has about 1,200 miles on it since I changed the oil (Peak 10W40). With an oil filter installed which is actually tight, oil consumption was about 1/3 qt. over 1,200 miles. Amazing... I topped it off with some MMO, and I'm going to change it at 1,500 as a favor for the dude letting me borrow his car for a couple of days.

The oil is pretty dark, but not horrible. After seeing the last oil filter, I'm anxious to cut this one open after a short run and see what's doing. I installed the missing air filter, and added about a qt. of PS fluid (the rack was almost dry). The noise while steering is gone, and the leak is actually pretty small from the PS pump, so I'm gonna just re-seal the pump and replace the o-ring from the reservoir to pump (I *think* that's actually the source of the leak), clean the idle control valve (once I get a gasket), then my work on this car will officially be done.

It's running strong, and it's not shooting plugs out of the cylinder head... And don't worry, if I ever have reason to pull a valve cover, I'll take some pictures! At this point, it's running fine, and I don't even wanna know what's going on in there!

Keep changing the lube and it will keep running. I'm not surprised. Good job on saving that Subaru.

Not a terrible consumption rate. I'd also be curious to see what a HM oil with perhaps Lubro Moly Oil Saver(conditions seals too?) would do for consumption rate during a future OCI?

Originally Posted By: Brenden
This is the reason I check everything very thoroughly before buying a used car...

Yeah, on this engine in particular. There's a long filler neck, no view into the motor--and in an effort to figure out where the heck the oil was coming from (the oil cap had been off for an indeterminate amount of time), I cleaned then engine--twice--to help pinpoint the leak. Some CD2 engine detailer sprayed in there and this would like an incredibly well-maintained engine!

It looks really clean from the outside... You'd have no idea the car was run (probably for a long time) with no air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back