54 degrees out, washing the cars in January!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I used a manual wash when it was 4F out. One side of the stall had the garage door pulled down, so the water would take a couple of minutes to freeze. I even used the brush (after I thawed it out). The salt caked to the vehicle was that bad and I couldn't stand it any more.

Everything froze on the car, but after a few hours in the garage it thawed, and I finished drying it.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by das_peikko
You drive a nice car like that in the salt?

Why not? I drive both Mercedes in the winter. I just get them washed all the time. Life's too short to drive cheap crappy cars, especially if you have the money.

Yeah, why have a dreaded econobox just for winter driving.

No no no, it only goes out above 40-45 degrees, all of the cars mostly sit inside at the shop, one up in the air and one below it if I have the bay to spare. I usually rotate through them weekly on my short trips home, or for the weekend. The E36 is the only one with all season tires, so even in the 40s I need to be careful with the E39 and 46. It should be inside the garage right now, but i lost a good chunk of that once we redid a room for the nursery. I need to get a cover. The GL and TDI are my daily drivers.

Last edited:
We had 12.5 inches of snow back in mid December. I washed my wife's car and my truck Sunday, temp around 62 F. Yesterday I went to the shooting range with a friend, temp around 70 F. Today I rode my Harley 120 miles, temp 76 F. I'm planning on working in the yard tomorrow. We have our windows open and the sliding door to the deck open right now as well. I love living in N.C.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I used my car air conditioning. Mostly because I replaced the compressor last June and wanted to see if it was still working good. It was.

If you don't regularly use your ac, seals will leak and you will loose charge and oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back