50WT Racing oil.

Air-cooled vehicle with short (1000 miles or less, takes a year) oil change intervals. Used for spirited driving every time it's on the road. Never driven below 50F/10C.
Between the following two options, which one would you go with and why, if price isn't a concern?
71Zje2UBLsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg OR 512Ax3QcvRL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Currently got some RedLine 50WT on hand, but after these couple gallons are gone - the choice lies between these two. If there are definite benefits to using RedLine, then buying more isn't a problem. But if it doesn't edge out VR1 in any way, then 60%+ savings are definitely welcomed.

There's also Pennzoil GT 25W50 (which used to be really cheap) and M1 0W50 (which is uber expensive), but they're not mono grades which looks like what you want(y)

Pricewise for the money, VR1 is probably the way to go. I know it's a highly respected oil.

Of those 2 choices, Redline.

Does it have to be a monograde? A synthetic 20W-50 won't contain a whole lot of VII, if that's what you're worried about.
It's a slightly lifted VW Baja Beetle with oversized tires, roof rack, and other "overland" goodies. Therefore good bit heavier than a basic VW Bug. Considering short intervals owner isn't worried much about the lack of detergents in racing oils, but does care about the extra anti-wear additives, which is why owner wishes to stay in the "Racing Oil" category. Considering the temps when it will be used, and intended usage - SAE50 fits the profile. The reason for monograde is we simply had some Redline 50WT (which claims to meet the requirements for 15w50) on hand, and after using it feedback from owner is more positive than Castrol Classic 20w50 oil used before. So owner doesn't want to go back to 20W50 and wishes to stay with either of the previously mentioned SAE50 Racing Oils.

Any of those two would be fine. I'd get vr1 if i was forced between the two but I still wouldn't go for it first thing.

I really doubt a decent euro or diesel 40 grade won't be good enough for that engine. Heck I'd be comfortable running even vanilla 10w-40 or 20w-50 in it if it's driven that little every year. Driven a lot more frequently maybe not.

M1 15w-50 is the most I'd put in it. Get it at Walmart for $27 a jug and it's pretty stout stuff.

if cost is not a biggie Redline for sure. assuming its an air cooled VW engine i read where they are hard on oils + Redline being a real synthetic is better. check redlines site as it shows a LOT of ZDDP if that matters + it "acts" like a 15-50.

It's a slightly lifted VW Baja Beetle with oversized tires, roof rack, and other "overland" goodies. Therefore good bit heavier than a basic VW Bug. Considering short intervals owner isn't worried much about the lack of detergents in racing oils, but does care about the extra anti-wear additives, which is why owner wishes to stay in the "Racing Oil" category. Considering the temps when it will be used, and intended usage - SAE50 fits the profile. The reason for monograde is we simply had some Redline 50WT (which claims to meet the requirements for 15w50) on hand, and after using it feedback from owner is more positive than Castrol Classic 20w50 oil used before. So owner doesn't want to go back to 20W50 and wishes to stay with either of the previously mentioned SAE50 Racing Oils.

Noted.

A friend of mine has a sand rail with an old air cooled VW engine. We put Driven GP-1 15W-40 in it, and it runs nice and quiet.

There's also Pennzoil GT 25W50 (which used to be really cheap) and M1 0W50 (which is uber expensive), but they're not mono grades which looks like what you want(y)

Pricewise for the money, VR1 is probably the way to go. I know it's a highly respected oil.
I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong, but I think Pennzoil has discontinued GT Performance.

Noted.

A friend of mine has a sand rail with an old air cooled VW engine. We put Driven GP-1 15W-40 in it, and it runs nice and quiet.
I'd like to add that if SAE 50 is absolutely the grade they want to run, GP-1 is available in a full mineral straight 50wt.

I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong, but I think Pennzoil has discontinued GT Performance.
The 25W-50 was the last holdout of what was once a line of several grades of street and racing oils. Shell killed off all but the 25W-50 not long after the takeover. That one was available not too long ago, but I believe all that is left now are dusty cases in local distribution centers.

If money is of no concern, then REDLINE all the way. Premium, REAL synthetic oil and can take any abuse that air cooled VW can throw at it. Redline has a ton of ZDDP and uses a lot of Esters so its easily up to the task for that old engine but likely overkill.

Back