502.00 5w-40: LM Leichtlauf vs LM Top Tec 4100 vs Castrol Edge Professional OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to oil, so please go easy on me.
smile.gif

Anyhow, I drive a US-market 2017 Volkswagen Passat with the 1.8L TSI engine and seek a very good 5w-40 for my beloved Passat. I've narrowed my choices to these three, all approved and licensed for the mandatory Volkswagen 502.00 specification:

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf (Part Number 2332)
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 (Part Number 2330)
Castrol Edge Professional OE (VW Part Number GE521671QDSP and/or GE525021QDSP(?)) (Castrol Label Number 06256-01 C) — I believe the car came with this oil from the factory.

Which of these do you think is the best performer? The car has direct fuel injection and no port injectors, so naturally carbon deposits are a bit of a concern.

LM Top Tec 4100 stands out to me because it meets ACEA C3 and BMW Longlife04, whereas the other two oils I mentioned meet only ACEA A3/B4 and BMW Longlife01. It is my understanding that this is because Top Tec 4100 is a low SAPS oil, which means it should have less of a tendency to poison my catalytic converters over time. Since catalytic converter health is important to me, this is appealing. However, if low SAPS comes at even a small cost, such as increased engine wear, I'd sooner skip it for one of the others.

I look forward to hearing your expertise! Thanks!

LM Top Tec 4100 stands out to me because it meets ACEA C3 and BMW Longlife04, whereas the other two oils I mentioned meet only ACEA A3/B4 and BMW Longlife01. It is my understanding that this is because Top Tec 4100 is a low SAPS oil, which means it should have less of a tendency to poison my catalytic converters over time........

Concur with your line of thought on C3, which steers me to its selection in the circumstances .

However, if low SAPS comes at even a small cost, such as increased engine wear, I'd sooner skip it for one of the others.

Unfortunately I beg to differ on your take on increased engine wear relating to being a C3 oil vis-a-vis an A3B4.
A C3 mid SaPS oil (hence having lower TBN) is often under-rated and misunderstood on Bitog, IMHO.

It depends on your intended OCI.

ACEA Cx arose due to the introduction of tighter emissions requirements which necessitated ULSG.
So for example LL01 was replaced by LL04 and 502 with 504 (30w only IIRC) etc.

In the US we now have ULSG but the levels are allowed to fluctuate somewhat. So IMO if you're going to use the C3 LL04 then cut your OCI in half or 5k miles. Obtain UOA's if you want to push it further.

In the US BMW uses LL04 for diesel only.

Use a 502 oil and forget about it . I like Castrol over Mobil myself . Dont do 10k in a VW , they are carbon machines , why VW wont do what Toyota has done with 2 sets of injectors is beyond me . 5k oil change with a good oil will make your timeing chain and valves happier .

Thanks for the replies, all!

I follow the owner's manual and use an OCI of 10K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. TheU owner's manual also insists on either 5w-30 or 5w-40, so 0w-40 is out of the question.

When was ULSG introduced? Should I count on the ACEA C3 oil being able to last in my car for 10K miles or 1 year here in the United States, or should I go with one of the other two ACEA A3/B4 oils?

Additionally, I have heard that these oils may have differing "base oils." Does anyone know the base group for each of the oils I mentioned.

Thanks again for your help!

If your going to rely on your owners manual for 10k changes , then why not rely on the manual for oil type ? Do some research on 10k changes and VW . Not good on a GDI AND TURBO .

I'm using a low saps oil in the same engine, and I think it makes the most sense. The hand-wringing over sulfur in the fuel is way overblown, IMO. It's not 1990 any longer. Even if you ended up w/fuel that wasn't "ultra low", it's still below 30ppm.

Based on the UOA's I've done on Mobil1 5W30 ESP, I'm confident it will be suitable for the recommended interval. VW is as well, since they specify a 10K interval on a 504/507 oil. 504/507 is among the most stringent tests to pass.

Your car likely came with Castrol 5W30 LL03 from the factory. I'm not sure why you want a 5W40 oil, but I'm just not seeing a benefit over a 504/507 oil.

If you are going to use a 502 oil I see no reason to chase those hard to find oils, as mentioned I'd just opt for Castrol 0w40 which IS 502 approved, that is all you require. And there are other very easy to obtain 502 oils as well.

Now if you opt for a 504 oil you have a discussion. Not near as many options. I am considering a 504 oil for my new Passat as well.

Originally Posted by TurboDieselPoint
Thanks for the replies, all!

I follow the owner's manual and use an OCI of 10K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. TheU owner's manual also insists on either 5w-30 or 5w-40, so 0w-40 is out of the question.

When was ULSG introduced? Should I count on the ACEA C3 oil being able to last in my car for 10K miles or 1 year here in the United States, or should I go with one of the other two ACEA A3/B4 oils?

Additionally, I have heard that these oils may have differing "base oils." Does anyone know the base group for each of the oils I mentioned.

Thanks again for your help!

Seriously? VW wants you to use VW502.00 oil. grade is irrelevant! Grade is there to tell people to get that because most do not understand VW502.00 specification and what that means.
Manual in my Tiguan says 5W40, but what REALLY MATTERS for your warranty is VW 502.00.
Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 FS are more stout oils than all you mentioned.
Now, if you are that set on grade and what VW tells you, than:
1. Why you do not change oil in VW dealership?
2. Why you asking question here?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JOD
I'm using a low saps oil in the same engine, and I think it makes the most sense. The hand-wringing over sulfur in the fuel is way overblown, IMO. It's not 1990 any longer. Even if you ended up w/fuel that wasn't "ultra low", it's still below 30ppm.

Based on the UOA's I've done on Mobil1 5W30 ESP, I'm confident it will be suitable for the recommended interval. VW is as well, since they specify a 10K interval on a 504/507 oil. 504/507 is among the most stringent tests to pass.

Your car likely came with Castrol 5W30 LL03 from the factory. I'm not sure why you want a 5W40 oil, but I'm just not seeing a benefit over a 504/507 oil.

Agree with you with hand-wringing over gasoline sulfur ppm being overblown on this board.

Glad to read that you had good 10k UOA with a C3 (M1 ESP 5W30) in this 2017 passat engine.
I 'believe' in your assertion the VW factory fill is likely a VW 50400 50700 LL03 typically of 5W30, or rarely 0W30.Not xW40 for sure.

Having said that, VW probably recommends VW 50400 50700 for variable service (with computer service indicator) of up to 18-20k miles in Europe .Guys from Europe probably can attest to this, IDK.

In 10k mile fixed service regime as per OP's context,IMO it makes no sense for OP to select a VW 50400 50700 xW30 as I believe for fixed service , VW factory probably recommends 50200 50500 (normally a A3B4) or 50200 50501 (normally a C3) whose viscosity grades includes those of xW40.

Originally Posted by TurboDieselPoint

ACEA 2004 introduced mid SaPS C3 oils in November 2004, probably in conjunction with upcoming Euro 4 fuels (containing 50 ppm sulfur) launching in Jan 2005.

Agree with you C3 base oils may be different, if not 'better' than that of A3B4 base oils. I have no facts to support so though. If I may add, C3 additive package quality and types are probably much different from that of A3B4.

Current US gasoline fuels is likely an Euro 5 , if not Euro 4.5.......but is surely 'superior' to Euro 4 launched in Europe in 2004.......
Hence IMHO, current US fuels is way more than adequate or suitable for use in conjunction with an ACEA C3 engine oils, in particular in Euro cars having DI without port injection.

OP, I strongly suggest you picking a VW 50200 50501 with C3 (read,Top Tec 4100) over a VW 50200 50500 A3B4 in your circumstances.

Last edited:
I just got my oil report after trying LM 2332 5w-40 in my 2007 911. Blackstone was able to pair it up against the Mobil 1 0w-40 I had run prior for 8k miles vs only 2700 miles for the liquid moly 2332. In a nutshell, my wear metals were higher, viscosity dropped off faster, and ironically the moly level was 1ppm after 2700 miles verse 65ppm after 8k miles in the Mobil 1. As some of the people out here have noted the Mobil and Castrol seem to be the better choices in the end than these boutique oils...

Originally Posted by sibhus
I just got my oil report after trying LM 2332 5w-40 in my 2007 911. Blackstone was able to pair it up against the Mobil 1 0w-40 I had run prior for 8k miles vs only 2700 miles for the liquid moly 2332. In a nutshell, my wear metals were higher, viscosity dropped off faster, and ironically the moly level was 1ppm after 2700 miles verse 65ppm after 8k miles in the Mobil 1. As some of the people out here have noted the Mobil and Castrol seem to be the better choices in the end than these boutique oils...

Thanks for this. Keep in mind most Liqui-Moly oils contain zero moly, ironically, including the Leichtlauf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back