50 weight oils for Corvette track use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to 2019, Corvette owner manuals recommended switch to Mobil 1 15W-50 for track use. In 2019, with the switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP, this is no longer officially recommended. However, when I recently attended the Corvette Owners School at Spring Mountain, they said they still use exclusively the Mobil 1 15W-50. That seems like a good idea to me - the higher HTHS for the hard driving on track. Who cares if its not Dexos2 certified. However, it seems the heavier weight would not be good for start-up. My understanding is that the biggest advantage of 0W oils, regardless of climate (Spring Mountain is outside Vegas, so it's not "cold"), is the faster circulation on start-up. Thus, I was looking around for any 5W-50 or 10W-50s that might serve this role when I finally take mine to the track. I'm in North Carolina and would likely go to VIR. I came across the two below from Ravenol. Anyone have experience with these? I'm still pretty new here, but I gather that ester-based oils are very good...

https://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/10w-50-motor-oil-ravenol-high-viscosity-ester-hve/

https://www.ravenolamerica.com/moto...racing-motor-oil-rrs-racing-rally-synto/

What about Castrol 0W40

Group IV (PAO) based and rated SN, A3/B4, VW 502/505, Porsche A40, BMW LL-01, and MB 229.5

Of course, the 15W-50 M1 has a low pour point of -39F, so at least it pumps at any reasonable temperature. With the use of any higher viscosity oil, a gentle warm up is a good idea.

The use of that particular M1 for track days is really based on decades of real world results. It's a very robust oil that protects well when track day oil temp reaches absurd levels. It also does not shear down to a lower grade rapidly, like many of the 0W-x oils do.

In the end, the use of a thinner oil is very possible and when properly managed will provide adequate protection. However, to do so requires excellent oil temperature management. Something the Corvette is not known for.

Last edited:
Ravenol should be very good.

But if it doesn't get very cold there, i prefer choosing a 10w or 15W if you are concerned on protecting it at the track.

Motul and Mobil are also great options.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 15W-50 is still an excellent oil; that hasn't changed.

If you want a 5W-50, Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 carries Porsche A40 approval - I'm not sure what more you could want.

I would actually stick to a 5w40 with a higher HTHS over any of the 15w50s. It'll have the lower viscosity on startup but the protection at higher oil temps. For instance, what about something like Redline 5w40? It has an HTHS of 4.4 (M1 15w50 is 4.5). But it's viscosity at 40c is 97, compared to 125 for M1 15w50. So that's a significant difference on startup without losing anything at higher oil temps. Redline 5w40 also has a great NOACK value of 6%.

M1 15W-50 is a very good oil, once used it in an old Honda Accord and still got very good MPG on a summer road trip. I just wonder why they just don't make it a high mileage motor oil...

Originally Posted by 2019StingrayZ51
Prior to 2019, Corvette owner manuals recommended switch to Mobil 1 15W-50 for track use. In 2019, with the switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP, this is no longer officially recommended. However, when I recently attended the Corvette Owners School at Spring Mountain, they said they still use exclusively the Mobil 1 15W-50. That seems like a good idea to me - the higher HTHS for the hard driving on track. Who cares if its not Dexos2 certified. However, it seems the heavier weight would not be good for start-up. My understanding is that the biggest advantage of 0W oils, regardless of climate (Spring Mountain is outside Vegas, so it's not "cold"), is the faster circulation on start-up. Thus, I was looking around for any 5W-50 or 10W-50s that might serve this role when I finally take mine to the track ...

The NOT GOOD FOR START-UP might be applicable on a very cold winter morning, but on an average spring / summer day, the delay in oil circulation will be measured in fractions of a second. Yes, the oil is thicker at room temps, but it still pumps and flows just fine. 0w oils are ideal for EXTREME COLD ... As in 0*F and well below that. At temps above freezing, the 0w designation becomes much less relevant than the HTHS and KV100 specs.

Prior to 2019, Corvette owner manuals recommended switch to Mobil 1 15W-50 for track use. In 2019, with the switch to Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP, this is no longer officially recommended. However, when I recently attended the Corvette Owners School at Spring Mountain, they said they still use exclusively the Mobil 1 15W-50. That seems like a good idea to me - the higher HTHS for the hard driving on track. Who cares if its not Dexos2 certified. However, it seems the heavier weight would not be good for start-up. My understanding is that the biggest advantage of 0W oils, regardless of climate (Spring Mountain is outside Vegas, so it's not "cold"), is the faster circulation on start-up. Thus, I was looking around for any 5W-50 or 10W-50s that might serve this role when I finally take mine to the track. I'm in North Carolina and would likely go to VIR. I came across the two below from Ravenol. Anyone have experience with these? I'm still pretty new here, but I gather that ester-based oils are very good...

https://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/10w-50-motor-oil-ravenol-high-viscosity-ester-hve/

https://www.ravenolamerica.com/moto...racing-motor-oil-rrs-racing-rally-synto/
15W Not good for startup what have you been reading? 15W is good to about 20*f being conservative.

Originally Posted by CT8
However, it seems the heavier weight would not be good for start-up. My understanding is that the biggest advantage of 0W oils, regardless of climate (Spring Mountain is outside Vegas, so it's not "cold"), is the faster circulation on start-up. Thus, I was looking around for any 5W-50 or 10W-50s that might serve this role when I finally take mine to the track.
15W Not good for startup what have you been reading? 15W is good to about 20*f being conservative.

I can't tell you how many engines I have started in North Dakota with straight 30W in the crankcase when it was far, far, far below -20°F

Originally Posted by Patman
I would actually stick to a 5w40 with a higher HTHS over any of the 15w50s. It'll have the lower viscosity on startup but the protection at higher oil temps. For instance, what about something like Redline 5w40? It has an HTHS of 4.4 (M1 15w50 is 4.5). But it's viscosity at 40c is 97, compared to 125 for M1 15w50. So that's a significant difference on startup ...

Is the difference significant ? At typical summer temps, both oils will reach the top of the engine in less than a second.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by CT8
However, it seems the heavier weight would not be good for start-up. My understanding is that the biggest advantage of 0W oils, regardless of climate (Spring Mountain is outside Vegas, so it's not "cold"), is the faster circulation on start-up. Thus, I was looking around for any 5W-50 or 10W-50s that might serve this role when I finally take mine to the track.

I can't tell you how many engines I have started in North Dakota with straight 30W in the crankcase when it was far, far, far below -20°F

i would die if the temps were that cold.

Originally Posted by Patman
I would actually stick to a 5w40 with a higher HTHS over any of the 15w50s. It'll have the lower viscosity on startup but the protection at higher oil temps. For instance, what about something like Redline 5w40? It has an HTHS of 4.4 (M1 15w50 is 4.5). But it's viscosity at 40c is 97, compared to 125 for M1 15w50. So that's a significant difference on startup without losing anything at higher oil temps. Redline 5w40 also has a great NOACK value of 6%.

Finally, we have a serious person not one with 10000+ posts playing games, they are on here. I have to thank you for pointing this out, this one of the oils that is better than Mobil 1 and it can be had from online. Stellar oils if you spend the extra money. Now, in the case of the Corvette it says Mobil 1 on the cap but that is a recommendation or suggestion, not binding or mandatory, oddball on that one. you find a better oil or one you like better you can use it!

Now, while M1 0W-40 and 15W-50 are probably M1 two best oils and engines are spake to run baby smooth on the 15W-50 yup, Anything comng from Pennzoil a la Platinum or Ultra? this will be a Group 3 product with other things mixed in and more on par with the Mobil, which of course is of that same make-up, though these oils can be had at local stores. Online is the great equalizer and of course there are more oils too.

The key to wear protection is HTHS, not so much whether its a 40 or 50 or whatever. Redline 5w40 gets my vote for more than enough protection, and they've been around a while and have a good reputation. (Patman's comments above apply fully.) Really as long as you use a high quality name-brand synthetic with HTHS about 4.0, you've got plenty of wear protection for hard driving.

Another great one, probably my 1st choice, is the "Ferrari" oil: Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40, which starts with the SN+ qualification, and notably has Ferrari-Maserati's seal of approval, as well as Porsche, VW, Mercedes, & BMW, what CAN'T this oil do on race day? Shell Pennzoil knows their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back