5 year old Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a sealed, 5 quart jug of unopened Mobil 1. It is rated API SL/CF. It has been out in my garage which gets up to 120 deg in the summer and down to 30 deg in the winter. It has been sitting out there for I would guess about 5 years. I was thinking about shaking it up really well and using it. What do you think?

I wouldn't worry about using it but in the future I'd store it indoors in a more temperature controlled environment.

Shake it up, use it. Or send it my way! I'd put in my ride and not think twice about it. I've used oil that is several years oil, no problems to report.

turn it into antique ^^, yesterday I dig in my storage found a old mitsubishi oil filer in a box it been 6 years ( back then I alway use factory oil filter only ), im plan to keep it there for ever lol.

Last edited:
I have 2-3 quarts M1 15W50 red-cap I bought about 8-9 years ago, it is the remaining of 2-3 cases. I will use it some time in the near future.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
turn it into antique ^^, yesterday I dig in my storage found a old mitsubishi oil filer in a box it been 6 years ( back then I alway use factory oil filter only ), im plan to keep it there for ever lol.
Thats a good point! A lot of us charish old sealed oil containers. Ive got a can of PYB 10w40 API SE. I will hold on to that baby forever. I wish I had some old quart bottles to go with it.

last week i got some Mobil 1 at target on sale It is rated API SL/CF they still have the api SL where i live but not much most is SM

Originally Posted By: dparm
No need to shake it, just open and pour. Oil pump and pouring will take care of mixing for you. :)

I shake jugs or quart bottles that are less than a year old.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Thats a good point! A lot of us charish old sealed oil containers. Ive got a can of PYB 10w40 API SE. I will hold on to that baby forever. I wish I had some old quart bottles to go with it.

im glad we thinking the same ^^

It's in! Thanks guys for the advice. The last quart or so looked kind of chalky (not clear but opaque with a whiteish oil color) so I shook it up really well and poured it in. I took the car on a 15 mile highway run to hopefully re-blend the oil. Pulled the dipstick and the oil looks crystal clear. I would have felt really badly about tossing 5 quarts of Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: dparm
No need to shake it, just open and pour. Oil pump and pouring will take care of mixing for you. :)

I shake jugs or quart bottles that are less than a year old.

Always,always shake oil,additives do settle on old oil over time(additive fall out).

Man, Ive got a bunch of Mobil 1 from 2006(Walmart made a mistake and charged me only $1 a quart) that is gonna take years to use up. It will be 10+ years before the last quart is poured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back