5 qts in a 4.8 fill

I usually round up to 5 like this, but I swear, our new Camry must not fully drain. I think its 4.5 quarts rated, but I put in 4, check a few days later, and now its correct. Haven’t done enough changes on it to be sure.

Everything else, just fine to round up.

I usually round up to 5 like this, but I swear, our new Camry must not fully drain. I think its 4.5 quarts rated, but I put in 4, check a few days later, and now its correct. Haven’t done enough changes on it to be sure.

Everything else, just fine to round up.
I have the same 2.5 Toyota Rav4 - 2019 flavor. Top bubble on my dipstick is exactly 4.65 quarts - yes after its been run for a while - even though the spec is 4.8 quarts. Not sure why - factory defect dipstick, just not that precise, or?

The dealer has overfilled mine slightly - per the dipstick - several times when they do it for "free" with Toyotacare platinum, which is "port installed" for SE Toyota.

I have the same 2.5 Toyota Rav4 - 2019 flavor. Top bubble on my dipstick is exactly 4.65 quarts - yes after its been run for a while - even though the spec is 4.8 quarts. Not sure why - factory defect dipstick, just not that precise, or?

The dealer has overfilled mine slightly - per the dipstick - several times when they do it for "free" with Toyotacare platinum, which is "port installed" for SE Toyota.
Sounds about right—if I was smart, I’d take notes, but you correct. 4.5 quarts for full mark sounds right.

I think I did 5 the first time and it was quite over, so I didn’t do that the next time. Everything else has always been just fine.

Bit of a bummer, but I guess I get a “free” 4.5 qt for the 9th change, I have an open 0w16 on the shelf always now…

Sounds about right—if I was smart, I’d take notes, but you correct. 4.5 quarts for full mark sounds right.

I think I did 5 the first time and it was quite over, so I didn’t do that the next time. Everything else has always been just fine.

Bit of a bummer, but I guess I get a “free” 4.5 qt for the 9th change, I have an open 0w16 on the shelf always now…
4.65 quarts - yes I have OCD :)

And I also have a quart bottle I pour the leftovers in. No idea what I will do with it?

And I also have a quart bottle I pour the leftovers in. No idea what I will do with it?
Use for the next oil change in that car. I dump in 4.5qt, have 0.5qt left in the 5qt jug. Next oil change, I dump in 0.5, then another 4, and now I have 1qt left in the jug. Lather rinse repeat. In your case, the leftover amount would be 0.35 each time, so a bit harder to work with.

Otherwise, what would you do with it? I mean, it's not even good enough for a bicycle chain. ;) [referencing a now closed thread about one's opinion about 0w16.]

That is the beauty of a dry sump system, as in the C8 Corvette. A little extra just raises the level in the oil tank, and has no effect on what is in the engine at any point in time.

Capacities listed in owner's manuals are guidelines. Nearly all manuals default to the dipstick for reading and correcting the level when doing service.

Our 2020 Rav 4 toyota XLE we just bought holds 4.8 qts.
I'm wondering if it would cause any damage or blow any seals or gaskets by putting the last 2 tenths of a quart in it when changing.
4.8 vs 5 quarts.
If anyone thinks it might, I probably won't do it.
Thanks in advance.

I use 6 quarts in our 3.6L Pentastar from Chrysler. It calls for 5.9 quarts. It hasn’t caused issues yet in the 50k+ miles we’ve put on it. I’d say fill ‘er up with 5 quarts and motor on.

Just my $0.02

It probably "holds" 5.5 quarts if we're filling it at the factory. Tilt it up and ramps while draining and you may get more than 4.8 qts. out, I often do.

I used to get concerned about that...
then I noticed the Receipt for mom's oil change from the ford dealer...
car calls for 5.5qts. they billed for 6.
at the time I was driving a nearly identical car,( hers a Taurus, mine a Sable) from then on, instead of saving back the pint of oil to use in an eventual frankenbrew, i just dumped all 6 qts in.
never a problem.

I used to get concerned about that...
then I noticed the Receipt for mom's oil change from the ford dealer...
car calls for 5.5qts. they billed for 6.
at the time I was driving a nearly identical car,( hers a Taurus, mine a Sable) from then on, instead of saving back the pint of oil to use in an eventual frankenbrew, i just dumped all 6 qts in.
never a problem.
To be fair, they can’t really quote half a quart when the bottles come in quart sizes.

Now, the first time I had an oil change (free coupon from dealer), they did quote 5qts on the sheet when the CRV only takes 3.7qts. :unsure: :oops:

Same here.

The car care nut on youtube also admits 4.8 qts is overfilled.

He states it takes about 4.5-4.6 qts checking when engine is warm after a few minutes.

No properly disposed of oil ever goes to a land fill.
Where did you get this idea?
You're the one that added "properly disposed". Plenty of "empty" (or almost empty) oil bottles or jugs get thrown in people's trash cans, then goes into landfills.

Our 2020 Rav 4 toyota XLE we just bought holds 4.8 qts.
I'm wondering if it would cause any damage or blow any seals or gaskets by putting the last 2 tenths of a quart in it when changing.
4.8 vs 5 quarts.
If anyone thinks it might, I probably won't do it.
Thanks in advance.
I had a Honda with the same situation and filled if with four quarts. Didn't hurt a thing. I don't need a partial container of motor oil taking up space that would most likely be forgotten. Or fill your vehicle to whatever the manufacturer calls for and dump the rest in with the drain oil. Regards

Back