5 qts in a 4.8 fill

Our 2020 Rav 4 toyota XLE we just bought holds 4.8 qts.
I'm wondering if it would cause any damage or blow any seals or gaskets by putting the last 2 tenths of a quart in it when changing.
4.8 vs 5 quarts.
If anyone thinks it might, I probably won't do it.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Many new cars come intentionally overfilled from the factory. I’ll round up to the next quart. 4.5 gets 5. Most cars will consume some oil between changes, so I’m preemptively topping up. I don’t want to hold onto a half quart in a big jug.

Last edited:
If you paid (whether directly or via toyotacare) for a service ask for a redo. If its a DIY thing, do it right the first time.

Everything else is grey area/do at your own peril.
If you like to live on the edge, dump it in, and check for aeration effects.
Some folks say that less the quart its fine, or half of the distance between low and full lines. IDK

On the 2nd gen Prius it was rumored to save gas by running the dipstick halfway between Add & Full, effectively half a quart low. Not sure how the Rav 4 crank whips up oil, but there's a reason there's a "full" line.

If you paid (whether directly or via toyotacare) for a service ask for a redo. If its a DIY thing, do it right the first time.

Everything else is grey area/do at your own peril.
If you like to live on the edge, dump it in, and check for aeration effects.
Some folks say that less the quart its fine, or half of the distance between low and full lines. IDK
We just got it but with all the ice and snow we've had I haven't been able to change it yet.
Too nasty, wet, icy and cold.
Will get better in a few days and I'll be doing it.
Not fortunate enough to have a nice, dry garage. (Bummer)

What's it say on the dipstick? My car specifies 4.5 quarts but always comes exactly to the full line at 5 quarts.
As does mine, a '15 Accord with the 2.4 which specs something like 4.45 quarts.

I dump 4.5 quarts in from a 5 quart jug and check it during the week and I always end up having to dump the rest of it in to bring it to the top mark.

death-of-common-sense.jpg

Back