5 days to charge a EV Humvee using wall outlet!

Wow, that's even worse! Sweet Jesus.

Similar here. Low 30s household here. If someone is talking 6 figures here it holds weight. It's a faily small town and decently far from 2 major cities. Mostly factory jobs here although if any of the advertising means anything here the pay is getting better. I drive 80-110 miles round trip for work depending on where I'm called to so it's centrally located for me. I'm sure there's plenty here that do the same.

I really never worried about efficiency much until I started having a longer commute. I'm just glad there's fun options for both gas and electric that work. It kind of sucks that premium versions of small efficient performance cars are hitting such premium markups. I'm sure the Civic Type R is ridiculous even if one could be found at a dealer. I would still consider a new GTI or Golf R, but the same thing, not easy to find. My local dealer hasn't had any in stock in a very long time and have been suggesting ordering one. I love the one I have now though, no need to replace it.

Median family income in my town and neighboring is around $128k per year. Rivian, Porsche , VW EV are prevalent as Tesla here .

Rivian is fine at price point and volume. Once demand lowers they can hopefully reduce price and appeal to more people. I think it is possible by MSRP to order a lighting ford for $40-$50k. Still. Lot more expensive than base F150 at $34k

This argument is stupid to begin with, like telling people you are saving money buying a Tesla because Mercedes is so expensive (and ignore the fact that you can get around cheaper driving a Camry).

Humvee is not typical, nor is charging with 110V as the main source if you have such a hungry vehicle. Let's be honest, if you can afford a Humvee EV, you can afford a 240V and higher current circuit to charge it, or charge it at a public high current high voltage charger when you go out.

This argument is stupid to begin with, like telling people you are saving money buying a Tesla because Mercedes is so expensive (and ignore the fact that you can get around cheaper driving a Camry).

Humvee is not typical, nor is charging with 110V as the main source if you have such a hungry vehicle. Let's be honest, if you can afford a Humvee EV, you can afford a 240V and higher current circuit to charge it, or charge it at a public high current high voltage charger when you go out.
People love sensationalism. AKA clickbait.

The premise of this post is just wrong. You don't drive an EV or PHEV until it is near empty like a gas or diesel powered vehicle and then charge it. You plug these vehicles in at home every night and let them charge while you sleep. It doesn't matter how long it takes to charge them from zero to 100%; what matters is how much range you can gain on that overnight charge.

The premise of this post is just wrong. You don't drive an EV or PHEV until it is near empty like a gas or diesel powered vehicle and then charge it. You plug these vehicles in at home every night and let them charge while you sleep. It doesn't matter how long it takes to charge them from zero to 100%; what matters is how much range you can gain on that overnight charge.
The premise of this post is a dis on EVs. Either intentional or from lack of understanding.
Of course, if someone is OK with paying big bucks on a super expensive electric Hummer and charging on 110V, that's their business.

It is for me at 4 miles per KWh at $0.15 per KWh here in PA. Another PHEV driving BITOG user reports $0.22 per KWh up in ME and gas at $3.75/gal is actually less expensive for him in the winter.
I think the rate is $0.30 per KWh here in Los Gatos. But not for me. Solar is a no brainer here. An EV gets me to break even faster and after that it's all gravy. I am close to the break even point now, I believe. Yay!

Individual with a new EV Humvee demonstrates it will take from Sunday to Friday to charge his new SUV using the standard 110 wall outlet and the supplied charging cord. He shows the monitor will charge at 1 mile per hour and require 5 days for a full charge, and even that math only adds up to 120 miles. LOL You could walk to your destination faster.

See video and information at this link:

And is he also measuring how long it will take to fill his empty F250 34 gallon gasoline tank using a 1 cup measuring cup and a funnel? An apples to apples comparison. Nobody with any sense is going to charge an EV with 110 or fill their car with a cup and funnel.

And is he also measuring how long it will take to fill his empty F250 34 gallon gasoline tank using a 1 cup measuring cup and a funnel? An apples to apples comparison. Nobody with any sense is going to charge an EV with 110 or fill their car with a cup and funnel.

It breaks down to 1mph on the Hummer? That really shows the lack of efficiency due to its size. Our Model 3 does 3-4 an hour on 110v.

This is always an interesting topic that @alarmguy has brought up here. The average FAMILY income for the city I live is $55,000 (which is lower than the Canadian average). Local politician got lambasted for forgetting how much she made (it was like $270,000) in a zoom meeting where she forgot to mute her mic. This, understandably, impacted her already pretty low popularity.

This actually doesn't track that much differently than in the US:
View attachment 136749

Canada:
11-627-m2022040-eng.jpg

Income is relative. My parents who lived in FL weren’t paying crap compared to me in New England just to live. My area may be >75k, but our cost of living is higher than other lower income areas.

I envy some of the guys I used to ship out with. They made six figures and lived where ever they wanted, sometimes in low-standard-of-living areas where their money really went far. One guy lived in Costa Rica, IIRC, like a king. He bragged about his sweet house and maids.

Some of my money goes to great schools, though. That means a lo…for now.

Back