5 days to charge a EV Humvee using wall outlet!

So now to drive a car, I need to build a garage?

Bingo, ding ding ding.

Really? 60 times? Any unbiased data supporting that? Best I can find current data from Forbes and CNN state approximately the same ratio, but inconclusive. Seems to me 60 times might be a bit of an exaggeration.

I've owned a lot of cars and driven a lot of miles and not once had a gasoline car fire. I've also managed to avoid and EV fire, but that's by not owning one. LOL

This thread needs to be locked. You’re trolling way too hard, cherry picking posts, and then responding out of context.

Bingo, ding ding ding.

Really? 60 times? Any unbiased data supporting that? Best I can find current data from Forbes and CNN state approximately the same ratio, but inconclusive. Seems to me 60 times might be a bit of an exaggeration.

I've owned a lot of cars and driven a lot of miles and not once had a gasoline car fire. I've also managed to avoid and EV fire, but that's by not owning one. LOL
Per 100K cars sold, yes, it's 60.9x more gas vehicle fires than EV fires.

Also, no, you don't need a garage. Many chargers, like mine, are rated for outdoor, all-weather user. That said, yeah, I have a garage and wouldn't buy or build a house without one present.

Bingo, ding ding ding.

Not worth getting into the rest of it because it’ll continue on its current downward spiral but the gas car isn’t a backup. My wife and I each have a car. One happens to be electric and the other happens to be gas. I don’t see in any way, shape, or form if it matters if both were electric. We each need a car, especially when I’m out of town for a couple of days.

Not worth getting into the rest of it because it’ll continue on its current downward spiral but the gas car isn’t a backup. My wife and I each have a car. One happens to be electric and the other happens to be gas. I don’t see in any way, shape, or form if it matters if both were electric. We each need a car, especially when I’m out of town for a couple of days.

It’s like saying you wouldn’t buy a boat because it doesn’t get as good of gas mileage as your car. The OP is making an absurd argument, based on emotion, not logic.

Me too. They charge outside, on 120v, and it works great for them. They use a fast charger on occasion when they need it on a longer trip.
Guy around the corner charges his Model Y in the driveway. No biggie; I've not seen an inside Supercharger...
Maybe he's got something wild in the garage? Maybe I'll sneak a peak one day...

Guy around the corner charges his Model Y in the driveway. No biggie; I've not seen an inside Supercharger...
Maybe he's got something wild in the garage? Maybe I'll sneak a peak one day...
Ive not seen a supercharger in anyone's driveway. 480v, 250kw. What kind of insanity involves having this installed...in your driveway? For what?

I almost, almost, almost wasnt going to comment for once *LOL* Been resisting for a day or more and about to go to the gym but I cant help myself to say this has to be the most silly thread I have seen in a while.
Really if you read the comments. As far as the OP its informative. You're not going to charge your Hummer on a 110 outlet.
Then it goes downhill from there, into the cost of gas vs electric ect ect

My take is if your going to buy a $100,000 truck EV or Gas (or any price vehicle)
1. If an EV you will get/have the proper apparatus installed to charge it more rapidly
2. If a gas vehicle you could care less about the cost of gas. Its like saving Im not going to have a super nice yacht because it burns 2 gallons of fuel per MINUTE.
I think someday we will all look back on these threads and laugh. EVs and Fossil fuel vehicles will co-exist for a long time.
No right or wrong who are we to judge what someone wants to buy based on what we think they should?

I see myself possibly having an EV in the future, purchase price will rule though if gas or electric and if electric it will be a second car or better said my wife's car.
I will always see myself having a gas vehicle that will be much larger than my wife's car with a solid tow rating that at present time is not competitive in the EV market. I could care less about the price of gasoline, repeat, I could care less, the price could double and I will find at present time the convenience to me to be well worth it for my type of driving.

Options are good for everyone, but as a species we seem to like to tell others what to do. Im not sure why, we need to respect others choices, simple stuff. I think... over and out!

Last edited:
Per 100K cars sold, yes, it's 60.9x more gas vehicle fires than EV fires.

I believe many things are missed when comparing/contrasting the "fire risk" of EVs to fossil-fuel vehicles.
Here is my list of things that make this difficult, if not impossible, to quantify at this point (thereby making the "data" suspect and conclusions unreliable):

- Are we talking about pure EVs, or Hybrids? The article does not delineate. For the sake of my points below, I'm just going to lump them in together, but that is likely going to induce errors into the data stream.

- The "source" of vehicle fires is not identified in this article. ANY vehicle can catch fire, depending on the ignition source and the fuel (fuel meaning - what's able to burn ... carpet, seats, wiring, gasoline, insulation, plastics, etc). Of these gas and EV fires that were included in the study, how many of those fire were directly related to the energy drive system, versus stupid stuff like friction, cigarettes, etc?

- "EVs" are reasonably new to the market in mass, therefore they have not "aged" like many other gas/diesel vehicles. This makes a big difference. A fire in a 2 year old Tesla due to drive batteries overheating (resistance fire) is a lot different than a 15 year old Taurus with a brake seized (friction fire) and set the car ablaze. The article doesn't help us understand the nature of these differences, and they are very important to distinguish.

In fact, I'd say a LOT of "gas" vehicle fires are actually electrically-sourced probems in the first place. RARE is the time that a gas vehicle catches on fire because of the fuel itself. Typically it's some type of electrical cause. Even modern gas/diesel vehicles catch fire, but often it's a manufacturing defect in wiring or a component, and not the fuel system.

Here's an example where the data at the top level would lead to a massive error in data reporting.
This is a TRUE STORY that HAPPENED TO ME!
1986 ... I had a diesel Ford Tempo (please don't laugh; it was what my dad was able to provide at the time). We got it new; it was a lease vehicle. I was on a trip to visit friends at another college. We decided to run out for a bite to eat. The car was full; five people on board (2+3). After several minutes of driving, one girl in the back seat said she smelled smoke. I looked in the rear view mirror and didn't see anything, but did get a wiff of an acrid odor. Seconds later, she screamed her (posterior) was on fire! We were stopped at an intersection and all jumped out. Within seconds, the car was roaring in a fire, which had it's origin in the back seat area. The fire department showed up, but it was a total loss; the car was nothing but a smoldering heap. Here's the funny thing though ... it was still running fine. The interior was gone, the paint above the beltline was bubbled and char-black, and the tires were all flat. But the diesle engine was still idling! (ol' skool mechanical fuel pump so it just kept running despite the fire!) What caused the fire? It was an electrical short in the battery wiring! The battery in those cars was in the trunk (massive battery for the IDI diesel). The cables run under the rear seat frame, and when the mass of three people sat on the seat in back, it caused the seat frame to abrade through the wiring insulation and start a resistance fire in the seat foam, and then the backseat, and then the entire car! (It was not a design defect, it was a manufacturing defect. The cable was supposed to lay in a recessed track, but it was hap-hazardly laid on the floor pan. We could see it after the fire was out.)
Now ... how would that true example have been classified in the "study" that Autoweek did? If they ONLY looked at two criteria (did it catch fire and was it fossil fueled?) then the "data" would lead you to believe it was a fire due to being a fossil-fuel car. But that is completely wrong; it was an electrical fire and had nothing to do with the fuel source.

Simply put:
Electrical fires can happen to both EVs and fossil-fuel vehicles, but only fossil-fuel source fires can happen to fossil-fuel vehicles. Soooooo .... this argument about the safety of vehicles related to fire risks is, well, silly, because that article has spent no time really defining the actual root causes, and not standardized for the mono-directional overlap of characteristics. I estimate that the bulk of all vehicle fires is related to two things: electrical sources and friction sources. Rare is the "fuel" fire a thing. The fuel may burn in the fire, but it's rarely the root caus of the fire.

This is what happens when you get a car nerd at AutoWeek to "study" a complex set of data. People like that need to "stay in their lane" and stick to car reviews, and let the data be handled by statistical experts.

Last edited:
I assume that was from a dead or almost dead battery. While slow it really isn't a problem if you rarely use the vehicle or drive short trips. But Level 2 is logical choice.

Demonstrates there's no point in trying to charge an EV with a 110-120 Volt outlet.

Using my level 2 system (240 Volts at the car's 32 Amps maximum) I charge my Tesla most days in an hour or so. And I could probably charge it to the usual 80% in 10 minutes or so at a Supercharger.
You must not drive very far.

Demonstrates that there's no point in charging THIS EV with a 120 outlet. The battery size and lack of efficiency of this vehicle makes it basically not make sense. We only charge our Model 3 with 120v and then use Superchargers if we're driving more than can make the round trip home. It may not get to fully charged some nights, but I still get close. The car is plugged in now with 37% battery, we'll wait for off peak to kick in at 8pm when it will automatically start charging and it should be around 75%-80% by morning when the car is driven again. It'll likely see a small amount of local use tomorrow instead of going out of town like it did today and if we feel the need to charge it tomorrow night, then it'll reach 100%.

Really that's just the difference between the ridiculous 9,000lb Hummer with a 200kwh battery and a 3,800lb car with a 77kwh battery.
Now some EV people are Kwh shaming other EV people due to their wastefulness and excessive weight?

Back