5 days to charge a EV Humvee using wall outlet!

The OP showed a projection of the charging time, and it was obviously based upon cold weather. That being said, a battery that large needs a level 2 charger. FWIIW - my humble Ford C-Max Energi gains at least 4 miles range per hour on the home 120 VAC charger and over 10 miles per hour on a level 2 charger.

If you have a dryer outlet, you can charge a Tesla at about 15 to 20 MPH.
A union electrician installed 60' of #6 copper from the service panel, under the house and a NEMA 14-50 in the garage for $600 all in, including tip.
I get 28 to 32 MPH.

People ask me about the car; the 1st thing I ask is, "How ya gonna charge?" If they cannot answer, I tell them this car is not for you. The next thing is to find out if your service panel can add a 50A circuit, or if you have a dryer recepticle you can use.

I know a few people who only use a 120V; they get 3 to 5 MPH max. They charge at work for free or subsidized rate. Pretty big benefit around here; people ask for it. My next door neighbors, for example. They bought the house from the Bummer couple. Heck, one guy told me he never charges at home, only at work. Extreme case, of course.

No one buys a Hummer and charges with a 120V circuit.

That's 7 full tank refuelings for my car, representing minimal inconvenience, and like a year of driving.

20 gallons @ $3.5 per gallon = $70.
7 x 20 = 140 gallons
140 gallons at 35 mpg = 4,900 miles
That's a full year of my driving.
Time, at 5 minutes per refueling, is 35 minutes spread over a year. Gas stations everywhere, not a second extra time planning or going out of my way to find one.

Are you driving a gas Hummer? I’ve heard that they take a lot of gas. Seeing a pattern here?

Are you driving a gas Hummer? I’ve heard that they take a lot of gas. Seeing a pattern here?
Hummer gets 10 or 11 mpg. 5,000 miles takes 450 to 500 gallons. You might be spending all your time at the gas station.
$1,600 to $1,750 at $3.50 per gallon. Better move to TX, last time I stayed there I was paying like $2.20 for rag at Costco. Unbelievable!

That's 7 full tank refuelings for my car, representing minimal inconvenience, and like a year of driving.

7 x 20 = 140 gallons
Time, at 5 minutes per refueling, is 35 minutes spread over a year. Gas stations everywhere, not a second extra time planning or going out of my way to find one.
My BMW had a big tank (70 liters) and used premium fuel. On a highway drive that full tank provided a potential range of as much as 700 km. Fuel is expensive in Canada. In Alberta a full tank of premium fuel cost +/-$100 Cdn. In this area more like $150+ Cdn. So 3 full tanks in this area cost about $500 which would get you as much as 2100 - 2500 km (1300 - 1500 miles) on the highway, less in city or mixed driving.

That $500 installation cost has long since paid for itself.

7 x 20 = 140 gallons

Or you could look at it as the convenience of never stopping for fuel and only charging at home. If you only drive 4,900 a year you could drive an electric car charging at 120v and never have to stop anywhere to fill your vehicle.

I know it's not for you because you feel the need to argue with everyone about it, but just something to think about. Your car would always be full and ready to go in the garage.

That example not a very relevant complaint.
if you are spending 100k on an electric vehicle 500$ is nothing.

I don't think there is another relevant example. The Hummer is ridiculous and is the largest battery available in any consumer electric vehicle available. It's well more than double the average electric car and nearly double the next largest on the market. I understand what GM was doing with it, but really it shouldn't exist.

Or you could look at it as the convenience of never stopping for fuel and only charging at home. If you only drive 4,900 a year you could drive an electric car charging at 120v and never have to stop anywhere to fill your vehicle.
It's a trivial task, barely in the realm of inconvenience. It would be more time consuming to hire someone or even DIY to install some special charging device at my home and plug it in nightly. It would be really inconvenient to wake up to a dead battery b/c I forgot, or someone unplugged, it, or the power went out, or it burned my house down.
I know it's not for you because you feel the need to argue with everyone about it, but just something to think about. Your car would always be full and ready to go in the garage.
What you see is "arguing" I see as pointing out the various reasons that 97% of vehicle buyers opt for petrol, and even of the 3% opting for EVs most also have a petrol vehicle.

Tell me again how they are superior when 97 out of 100 don't want them, and of the 3, those people still have ICE.

It's a trivial task, barely in the realm of inconvenience. It would be more time consuming to hire someone or even DIY to install some special charging device at my home and plug it in nightly. It would be really inconvenient to wake up to a dead battery b/c I forgot, or someone unplugged, it, or the power went out, or it burned my house down.
All you need is a 120V plug for the few miles you drive. A 240V dryer plug would be even better.
How many miles do you drive per day, and how many hours is your car parked at home?

I think you said you drive less than 5,000 miles per year. That's less than 15 miles per day on average. With a 240V dryer recepticle that's 1 hour. With a 120V that's about 4 hours. You could even plug in every few days and be fine.
EV charging is different, you learn. I used to have range anxiety, but that is because we are all accustomed to gas vehicle fueling.
EVs are not for everyone, but I see a lot of misconceptions.

What you see is "arguing" I see as pointing out the various reasons that 97% of vehicle buyers opt for petrol, and even of the 3% opting for EVs most also have a petrol vehicle.

Tell me again how they are superior when 97 out of 100 don't want them, and of the 3, those people still have ICE.

Maybe look at the stats on car fires before quoting that. Remember you've come to argue in the electric car forum, not we've came to the burnt dinosaur section to extoll the virtues of electric cars. I don't know what you're not getting about the charging, especially with 120v. A plug goes in a standard outlet and a plug goes in the car. It's a trivial task, barely in the realm of inconvenience. It literally sits next to the car and I plug it in when I put the car in the garage. If someone is breaking into your garage and unplugging your car you have bigger issues to deal with.

I also have a petrol vehicle. It's almost like they're both great for different reasons. I still find the Tesla that much more convenient on a daily basis. Most though that don't want them either properly understand their limitations and drive more miles than 95% of the population, don't understand them, or don't care to understand them. Then there's some that like to use that lack of understanding to argue with people on the internet and get stuck on the topic of chargers they don't understand or that the fact that ICE cars are 60 times more likely to catch fire than electric cars.

Weird.

I dont have or want an ICE car.
Also, consider more than your time. Gas stations aren't exactly safe places. Why stop?

It literally sits next to the car and I plug it in when I put the car in the garage.
So now to drive a car, I need to build a garage?

I also have a petrol vehicle.
Bingo, ding ding ding.

ICE cars are 60 times more likely to catch fire than electric cars.
Really? 60 times? Any unbiased data supporting that? Best I can find current data from Forbes and CNN state approximately the same ratio, but inconclusive. Seems to me 60 times might be a bit of an exaggeration.

I've owned a lot of cars and driven a lot of miles and not once had a gasoline car fire. I've also managed to avoid and EV fire, but that's by not owning one. LOL

Back