5.7 Vortec GM Workvan 10,000lbs Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for recommendations for oil for my 2001 GM 9,500 lbs Savana Box Van, it has 220,000miles on it.

I have been using Delvac 1300 15-40 in all vehicles. (Factory spec calls for 5-30)
Just because they all have around 200,000 miles on them and i understand it is a good oil to minimize wear.

It uses about a quart every 387 miles.
I drive it typically 30 minutes between stops.

Uses the quart every 387 miles??
shocked2.gif
Does it leak anything?

What was the history of oil changes and what weights?

How long have you been feeding it 15-40?

Does this vehicle have cats?

Any smoking out the exhaust pipe?

How is it operated?

Sorry for all the questions.

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

With that mileage and burning oil at that rate, it really doesn't matter what oil you use. Your replenishment rate is so high that any benefit from a fancy oil will be nullified.

I see no point in changing oil brands at this time. If what you have been using is working for you, stick with it. The time to make a change was when it had 20,000 miles on it, and we are a bit past that point.

I used to manage a small fleet of service vans and trucks, some being GM's. In the 4.3's, 5.7's and the newer modular Vortec V8's, I used any name brand 10W-30 I could get a deal on. The biggest thing was regular oil changes around 5,000 miles, not the name on the container. I loved it when I could buy a case of Chevron Supreme from Costco for $11.99.

Uses the quart every 387 miles?? Does it leak anything?

No leaks

I bought it about 2 years ago with a slight knock knowing it would need a engine the price was good enough that even with buying a new engine it was a deal. the first oilchange were 5-30 then switch to the delvac 15-40 for about 18 months now

about 18 months

YES (Those cats have to be dog tiered by now)

None.

How is it operated?
Idles and runs very smooth power is a little week on torque. Until #4 spark plugs fouls out, (every 1400miles) It had/has a cracked head/blown head gasket fixed with blue devil coolant sealant. I also used a ceramic oil treatment that has improved the spark plug fouling and oil consumption (it was as bad as fouling every 200 miles.) I do plan on treating again this time with RVS. but that another story

I know it need a new engine, but despite all its issues it runs very good and averages a corrected 12 MPG which is not bad. And If the RVS cuts the oil consumption down, it will allow me to save up for that new engine.

Buy cheap top-up oil.

At this point you are WAY past oil 'fixing' anything, or even one oil doing 'better' than another.

One other oil treatment to try is 'Restore', in the the silver can. Does seem to help some real old beaters cut down on oil burning a bit. Can't hurt to try!

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
With that mileage and burning oil at that rate, it really doesn't matter what oil you use. Your replenishment rate is so high that any benefit from a fancy oil will be nullified.

I see no point in changing oil brands at this time. If what you have been using is working for you, stick with it. The time to make a change was when it had 20,000 miles on it, and we are a bit past that point.

Your right, Until i started answering those questions i had forgot about the slight engine knock it had with the 5-30.
i guess ill stick with the 15-40 Delvac 1300.

Any downsides to using this Delvac 15-40 when manufacture calls for 5-30 for when i replace the engine?
I also use it in 2 Nissan Quest's, nether use any oil and have 200,000 miles on them

Originally Posted By: Roland
Uses the quart every 387 miles?? Does it leak anything?

No leaks

I bought it about 2 years ago with a slight knock knowing it would need a engine the price was good enough that even with buying a new engine it was a deal. the first oilchange were 5-30 then switch to the delvac 15-40 for about 18 months now

about 18 months

YES (Those cats have to be dog tiered by now)

None.

How is it operated?
Idles and runs very smooth power is a little week on torque. Until #4 spark plugs fouls out, (every 1400miles) It had/has a cracked head/blown head gasket fixed with blue devil coolant sealant. I also used a ceramic oil treatment that has improved the spark plug fouling and oil consumption (it was as bad as fouling every 200 miles.) I do plan on treating again this time with RVS. but that another story

I know it need a new engine, but despite all its issues it runs very good and averages a corrected 12 MPG which is not bad. And If the RVS cuts the oil consumption down, it will allow me to save up for that new engine.

Your last paragraph says it all. It had a problem (not oil related IMO) when you bought it. Got a good deal and some service.

The cats HAVE to be real tired!

Thanks, Bill

Originally Posted By: Roland
Originally Posted By: bretfraz

Your right, Until i started answering those questions i had forgot about the slight engine knock it had with the 5-30.
i guess ill stick with the 15-40 Delvac 1300.

Any downsides to using this Delvac 15-40 when manufacture calls for 5-30 for when i replace the engine?
I also use it in 2 Nissan Quest's, nether use any oil and have 200,000 miles on them

If you're new engine calls for 5W-30 oil to be used, and comes with a warranty, use what is specified!

You might get a bit better mileage from the Quest's if you use what is called for.........

you could switch to mystic oil, 15-50, its a part synthetic but it can be found cheap at least here it can be found for like 13 bucks and for 5 quarts. if not find a cheap 15-40 and use that, till the motor finally fails.

That motor needs to be put to sleep.
grin2.gif

I do say that I see a lot of these work vans that look like they were used for demolition derby still driving on the roads around here. Some of these things you can hear 100 yards away with their engine knocks. Usually the gas is floored down a pothole ridden road with the tools clanking in their tool chests in the back as it passes...but they keep going.

Definitely time to save for an engine replacement or rebuild. Keep using the 15w40 for now. When the time comes, I'd use the oil recommended by the manufacturer.

Best of luck.
wink.gif

The weak on torque part is built in.

I had a lease savanna 3500 back in 2000, Floored it wouldnt even squeak the tires at a light (unloaded)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back