5.7 Hemi -Tick coming from injector rails?

Ronsant

So my 2006 Magnum with 110,000 miles on it has a ticking sound. Having read the “dreaded Hemi Tick” articles and posts, I’m hoping it’s not a disintegrating valvetrain.
I got out the long screwdriver ( aka mechanics stethoscope) and both valve covers are quiet. Same for alternator, pvc valve, and exhaust manifolds.
the “clicking” is most definitely coming from the FI rails. Very audible on the left and right side. Nothing in the intake or water pump.
My question to all the mechanics on the forum is what can be causing a tick loud enough to hear in the cabin relative to the FI rails?

Our '12 has an EM tick but at least in this case it's noticeably different than something like injectors.

For one, it improves with temp (as the EM expands). And it's more like a classic exhaust tick than the quick nail-tapping-a-chalkboard or tap-dancing click of an electrical component engaging.

I isolated the EM tick with rubber fuel hose in my ear, run along the EM/head joint. You'll get a puff puff puff. Very noticeable when you hit it
Yes, by far, the most common tick on the trucks is the exhaust manifolds.

Reactions: D60
Thanks for all the replies. My 2006 Magnum 5.7 does have MDS, but no VVT.
I was relieved when the screwdriver on the valve covers revealed no noises out of the ordinary. It is likely just loud injectors, so as long as the noise doesn’t change, I won’t worry about it. Seems like every engine has some failures and the internet makes it seem like the failures are inevitable. If you don’t have any issues you probably don’t go on the internet and document that. I’m hoping to get this car to at least 200K.

Reactions: D60
I was relieved when the screwdriver on the valve covers revealed no noises out of the ordinary. It is likely just loud injectors, so as long as the noise doesn’t change, I won’t worry about it. Seems like every engine has some failures and the internet makes it seem like the failures are inevitable. If you don’t have any issues you probably don’t go on the internet and document that. I’m hoping to get this car to at least 200K.
I forgot those early car hemis had MDS. That probably reinforces that the MDS had nothing to do with the litter failures. It was a parts quality issue on later engines.

Pretty sure it was a 5.7 but I could be wrong.
Funny thing is I remember warning this guy when he worked with me, that the Rams I'd experienced when I worked in automotive had a lot of suspension issues, exhaust manifolds, rusted out boxes, fenders and the lifter issue....and he didn't think he's have that kind of luck...his experience with caravans was pushing him towards a ram...but his son bought the ram and the engine failed within 2 years. Now he said they'll never buy one again. I know that lifters don't affect every one but in our area the manifolds and rust do.

Funny thing is I remember warning this guy when he worked with me, that the Rams I'd experienced when I worked in automotive had a lot of suspension issues, exhaust manifolds, rusted out boxes, fenders and the lifter issue....and he didn't think he's have that kind of luck...his experience with caravans was pushing him towards a ram...but his son bought the ram and the engine failed within 2 years. Now he said they'll never buy one again. I know that lifters don't affect every one but in our area the manifolds and rust do.
Yeah it's hit or miss I guess. The '12 Ram 1500 I service was purchased new by my non-profit. Other than a cracked RH manifold, eating rear brakes 2:1 over fronts, and a failed ground strap sending the trans into limp mode, it's needed nothing and is approaching 170k.

It almost pains me to say it's impressed me......

I said, "really only". Unless you're on the spectrum, that shouldn't be taken literally.
God, I hate when people who have been proven wrong have to try and get personal so they can feel like they’ve still “winning”

You made a statement that was incorrect then try and wriggle out of it by throwing a accusation that someone may be more intelligent than you are. Brilliant.

Every platform and/or engine family will have issues more common in those than in other platforms and/or engine families.

It is more likely that an 09+ Hemi will have a lifter fail and take out the cam than it is for the 08 and older Hemi’s.

Conversely, it is more likely the 08 and older Hemi will drop a valve seat as opposed to its predecessor, the 09+ Hemi where a dropped valve seat is virtually nonexistent.

If your engine experiences a catastrophic failure, the odds-on favorite is it will be a dropped valve seat. There isn’t much you can do (differently) to avoid this happening, except maintain the engine cooling system at all times.

From what I have gathered the heads are prone to dropping a valve seat after an overheat event occurs. So whatever you can do to avoid a boil over or driving while the temp is steadily rising, will be the best approach.

If you should accidentally overheat the engine or drive it for an extended period of time while it’s hotter than normal, be aware the engine could soon be taking The Big Dirt Nap as a result.

Pulling the heads and having them gone through wouldn’t be a bad idea in that scenario…

Back