5.0 Coyote oil filters with enough flow to be safe for frequent redline

Now that my 2022 Mustang GT with a Coyote is broken in, I’m starting to do some auto crossing and having more fun with the car opening it up. Is there any advantage to using a larger style filter than the OEM FL500S size assuming I keep my oil changes frequent? I swapped the factory-only FoMoCo filter for a Fram XG10575 which is cross referenced with the FL-500S but wondering if the engine will be better suited for a filter that emphasizes oil flow for race use since this Coyote hits 7500 RPM and has a 10 quart capacity pan. So the oil pump is defintiely churning a good amount of volume and want to make sure my filter isn’t gonna be a choke point for restriction at full throttle. I was thinking of getting the XG2 (larger style that fits Coyote) when I bought the XG10575 but the 10575 actually had the same amount of holes but they were noticeably larger even though the overall can was smaller. I also bought some Ford Racing FL820 that recently had a change to a 6-hole base plate instead of the original 8 hole, but they still weigh the same as the original style.

They make racing oil filters but they dont do much filtering maybe rock catchers.
Maybe fram titanium. IF you want flow and filtering.

Now that my 2022 Mustang GT with a Coyote is broken in, I’m starting to do some auto crossing and having more fun with the car opening it up. Is there any advantage to using a larger style filter than the OEM FL500S size assuming I keep my oil changes frequent? I swapped the factory-only FoMoCo filter for a Fram XG10575 which is cross referenced with the FL-500S but wondering if the engine will be better suited for a filter that emphasizes oil flow for race use since this Coyote hits 7500 RPM and has a 10 quart capacity pan. So the oil pump is defintiely churning a good amount of volume and want to make sure my filter isn’t gonna be a choke point for restriction at full throttle. I was thinking of getting the XG2 (larger style that fits Coyote) when I bought the XG10575 but the 10575 actually had the same amount of holes but they were noticeably larger even though the overall can was smaller. I also bought some Ford Racing FL820 that recently had a change to a 6-hole base plate instead of the original 8 hole, but they still weigh the same as the original style.
Ford developed and tested the Coyote with the FL500S filter ... so I'd trust the engineers. Only time that an oil filter can "choke down" oil flow is when the oil pump is in pressure relief, which with hot oil at 200F or more it's hard to do with a stock oil pump. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't go redline until the oil is close to 200F or more.

If you're sitting there waiting for an hour before an auto-cross run and the oil isn't at full operating temperature, then maybe use a "racing filter" like the Ford Performance or even a Fram Racing filter. The old Ultra flowed well (backed up by Ascent Filter Testing data), so if you want that old wire backed media design, go get a Fram Titanium from Advance Auto Parts (only place that sells the Titanium).

I use a Fram on my S2000. Revs to 8900 and pumps a shocking amount of oil. A little bypass never hurt anyone
A shocking amount of oil being pumped is on the older non-turbo EJ25 Subarus that pump something like 12.7 GPM for an engine that sends roughly 28 horsepower per wheel to the ground while never breaking 6200rpm.

I use a Fram Ultra with wire backing on a 2020 Mustang GT.

Had this car at 155 mph a few times and no worries, I would take it faster but fuel cuts off.

How much bigger is the XG2 than the FL-500 ?

Last edited:
The last OG Ultra XG2 I cut open and measured had 176.25 sq. in. of media area in it. 2.9375 in. wide and 60 in. long. But the OG Ultra media flows very well while filtering about as good as is available. Not bad for a $10.00 filter.

The last OG Ultra XG2 I cut open and measured had 176.25 sq. in. of media area in it.
That's a lot of media area for the old wire-backed depth filtering synthetic media.

The more important factor is making sure you have the filter torqued on properly. There's been reports of filters backing out if not installed tightly enough (cough cough S2000)

There's been reports of filters backing out if not installed tightly enough (cough cough S2000)
Also happen so the Ford GT350 with the Voodoo ... that's why Ford change the filter from a spin-on to a cartridge filter on that engine a few years into the production.

Back