4L80E TCC Not Locking

Sorry if this is long but hope to present a complete picture as best I can.

Vehicle: 2006 Chevy Express 3500 RV Conversion (Roadtrek 210P). Weighs 9600lb, right at GVWR
153k miles. Fluid/filter changed at 60k and 110k
Valvoline Maxlife Fluid, Lubegard Transmision Fluid Additive, Magnefine Inline Filter
Transmission Cooler installed after the radiator cooler. Tran temps typically 130-150-deg. Will run up to 180-deg on a hard climb. Vehicle driven with a light foot. Transmission has always shifted smoothly.

Problem: last fall the transmission shifted very hard in each gear during a 10 mile in-town drive. After stopping the engine for 30 minutes, and then starting again the shifts were nice and smooth as always. No hard shift since.

After that, I noticed my gas mileage had dropped and looked closer at engine speed with Scangage, the transmission TCC is not locking, which explains the gas mileage drop. Transmission still shifts as smooth as ever, with no repeat of the hard shift incident.

I am coming due for fluid and filter change. I do a complete change: 1. Drop pan, clean magnets, change filter. 2. Then refill and disconnect the line at the radiator cooling and run new fluid through until new appears. (about 12 qt).

I am an OK DIY guy, but no pro and I don’t have a scanner. So should I just do some of the relatively simple and cheap things, such installing the TransGo part# 48-ACT-TL recommended in: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/4l80e-lockup-issues.295241/

Also recommended there (by clinebarger): replacing all 3 thimble filters. One in the case (TCC Solenoid Feed), One under the separator plate in the valve body (PCS-AFL Feed), And one at the end of Manual Valve (Shift Solenoid AFL Feed). I would need some guidance on how to do this.

I have also seen that brake pedal sensor or speed sensor problems can affect the TCC lockup.

I realize I am doing the Parts cannon thing here hoping for an easy & relatively cheap fix to the problem before trying to find a good trustworthy transmission shop. Suggestions?

You can throw as many parts at it as you like, but without knowing what codes are stored it may be as simple as a brake pedal switch or as big as a worn out TCC.
I had OReillys check for codes but they showed none. Looks like a more advanced reader is needed. I am OK buying a scanner. Any suggestions on a good one for a DIY guy like myself?

I had OReillys check for codes but they showed none. Looks like a more advanced reader is needed. I am OK buying a scanner. Any suggestions on a good one for a DIY guy like myself?
Regarding a scanner, getting one with capabilities like ABS bleed would be handy. Quick search shows units like Foxwell NT630 or HF Zurich units. Not sure how to tell if they can get transmission level codes.

We need the DTC's before giving advice, P0894 is the DTC for Component Slip......As the PCM cannot distinguish between a TCC slip error & a 4th Clutch slip error, They call in "component slip", But it's usually the TCC slipping or not applying that causes P0894.

Brake Switch......Purple wire, Key on....Should have 12vdc with the pedal at rest then no power with the pedal pressed.

We need the DTC's before giving advice, P0894 is the DTC for Component Slip......As the PCM cannot distinguish between a TCC slip error & a 4th Clutch slip error, They call in "component slip", But it's usually the TCC slipping or not applying that causes P0894.

Brake Switch......Purple wire, Key on....Should have 12vdc with the pedal at rest then no power with the pedal pressed.
Any suggestions for a scanner that can access transmission trouble codes for this 06 Express van?

Amazon

I have this exact dongle, and it works flawlessly. It's basically OE level with my GM vehicles. It should do everything you need it to do.

Thanks. Just ordered. On sale for $54 right now.
Purchased. Could not get it to connect to my phone, so I returned it. Still looking for a scanner that can read transmission codes. It is very hard to determine if a particular scanner will or not. Very frustrating.

Back