2006 Saturn Vue 3.5L torque converter problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has the Honda 5-speed automatic like Ridgelines or Pilots and only has 95,000 miles. I'm getting a P0741 code for Torque Converter Clutch Stuck Off. It shifts through the gears perfectly but has a problem with torque converter lockup. A month or two ago it seemed to work fine when the weather was colder for the first 20-30 minutes of driving. After 30 minutes it would unlock at the slightest touch of the accelerator and may not even lockup again. Now it doesn't seem to lockup at all.

If I command lockup with a scan tool at 60 mph, it's barely perceivable. Maybe a drop in rpm from 2,100 to 2,000 when before it was around 1,700 rpm at that speed. I tested the resistances of the TCC solenoid and clutch pressure control solenoid and they were in spec. and when I put power to them they click solid. Fluid was pretty dark but no junk so I changed it 3 times with the correct Honda fluid a month ago. What do I check next, or is the converter toast?

If you commanded it via a scan tool and so no real change in RPM, and you've verified wiring from the PCM to the solenoid and back, you either have a mechanical issue with the TCC solenoid, a mechanica issue with the valve body, or a failed converter clutch.

Unbolt and remove all of the transmission solenoids from the transaxle. You should find a stainless steel fine micron mesh screen filter beneath each solenoid. Gently remove the screens and look for clogging from clutch material debris. Clean with spray carb cleaner, dry and reinstall the screens and solenoids. That worked on my Honda Odyssey for another year until the infamously fragile transmission fully destructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back