4l80e rebuild suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 Suburban k2500 with the 7.4l 454, it has a 3" flowmaster exhaust and a k&n air intake, I drive it pretty fast for being 6000# so I'm curious what rebuild suggestions everyone has for the 4L80e trans that went out a couple months ago. I've taken it out already and pulled the guts but haven't disassembled the innards yet to inspect them. The forward band was misshapen somewhat and the check ball seats are a tad worn but not as bad as some I've seen. I was thinking of doing the transgo shift improver but have read mixed reviews on it as far as for my application. Am curious about performance steels and whatnot, I can't afford the $1000 billet aluminum clutch housings and don't know that they'd be good for a 6000# truck on 35's anyway. I also don't know if it's just mine or a few models or if it's common but mine already has a magnesium alloy transfer case and aluminum extension housing as well as other various aluminum parts in the drivetrain. Any input is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

Since you are there, be sure to check transfer case for pump rub. The T-cases are identified as NVG/NPG 246, 243, 249, 261, 263. There is a kit/fix for it.

Shift kit in my 46re is a little twitchy sometimes, its set to hold gears for towing....installed deep pan(gained drain plug)and tranny gauge, I will never tow again without temp gauge after seeing what happens to temps maneuvering around my yard or getting slightly bogged down. I spent a pretty penny on my trans , my truck will be around for a while and I didn't want to worry about it ....its way overbuilt lol
Iv hauled 12k with it before no prob
19.gif

Last edited:
Because nobody was responding to it so I changed the headline and subject matter to gain attention. I see a lot of good it did me though as pretty much I still have the same questions. Lol

Apologies clinebarger, just now so your replies to those questions on the other thread but to your question once again, the original thread had several questions in it whereas this one is solely for rebuild suggestions. Originally everyone was answering everything but the rebuild question. Apologies again, I'm off to read your suggestions on the other thread. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back