4L80E build

Sun gear shaft bushings
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wit is out of the 34238a 4 legged plastic shim for between front and rear planets. These are .061 and the original plastic one is .066. Any ideas on gm number

The factory (GM) plastic one is also .061" thick.......The original TH400 used that exact brass/alloy thrust between the Carriers AND Under the Output Shaft against the 3-tanged selective, Starting in the early-mid 80's GM switched to the plastic thrust between the carriers as a cost cutting measure but retained the brass one under the Output.
That's the reason they are both the same thickness.

It's standard procedure to use a brass thrust during a rebuild. As I already stated.......The CK self lubricating thrust is thicker, I forget how much.
If you don't want to wait for the CK parts to get in.....Check the end-play between the Carriers with the brass thrust & get back to me.

[Linked Image]

I guess I forgot that there is going to be one in the ck parts. Not gonna do much in the shop till Friday now so hopefully my ck goodies will show up. Thanks

I noticed you bought Sonnax 34006-SPB......This product hasn't been on the market for 6 months.

I recommended 34006-SP that works with the TH350 Pump Bearing when installed backwards. It's $25 dollars cheaper as the CK kit comes with the output rollerization parts.

34006-SPB comes with a larger diameter bearing & shims that go over the lip of the bushing.

Because you installed the bushing backwards.....You CANNOT use the Sonnax supplied bearing & shims!!!!!!

If I would have known you ordered the "B" version......I would have amended my instructions. If you mentioned ordering the "B" version.....I missed it & apologize for the oversight.

This clinebarger gent reminds me of another Gil Younger.

Outstanding technical support and a breadth of knowledge possessed by far too few. Well done, sir!

Originally Posted by splinter
This clinebarger gent reminds me of another Gil Younger.

Not even.......I have great admiration for Gil Younger, And had the pleasure of talking to the man on the phone a couple times (tech-line) & attended a TransGo seminar in California where he was a key speaker!

Yeah my screw up there. Before I dig that bushing out I measured the reveil inside the case. I have .053" to hang a shim and a bearing on. Is that enough?

If that is not enough what is the part numbers for the 350 pump bearing and shim? Please

Ok just so I'm clear. These are the components that I need to stack for the first end play check?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by P10crew
Yeah my screw up there. Before I dig that bushing out I measured the reveil inside the case. I have .053" to hang a shim and a bearing on. Is that enough?

Something's wrong here brother......You usually end up with @ .070"-.080" proud into the case with the 34006-SP, The machining on the rear of the case varies a bit from case to case/year to year.......But definitely NOT .017"-.027" variance!!!!

As I've never used the 34006-SPB......I'll have to "wing it" here.

I can't find any dimensional specs on the 34006-SPB, 34006-SP has some dimensions listed on the Sonnax website But not the "Under the Lip width" or the Lip thickness.

It LOOKS like the Lip on the 34006-SPB bushing is thicker, Which makes sense as it's now designed to locate a bearing.
Here are some pictures of the 34006-SP bushing, And as you can see.....It looks different than the bushing you installed, I wish I had a 34006-SP on hand to measure the Lip thickness & compare actual measurements.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:

What is the part numbers for the 350 pump bearing and shim? Please

TH350 Stator Bearing.......
GM part# 9436851
WIT part# 44211C

Shim Kit.....
WIT part# 44200F

They must be 2 different bushings
The flange height is .185" and the overall bushing height is .668.

Ok just so I'm clear. These are the components that I need to stack for the first end play check?

Yes Sir.....You don't technically need the Sun Gear Shaft to check the Reaction Carrier to Center Support End-Play, But it doesn't get in the way either.

Stacked it up using the .041 shim between sungear and rear ring gear, new sonnax 4 tab and existing thrust between reaction carrier and CS . Had zero end play. Found that the counter bores that the 4 tab legs locate into are not bored as deep as the original planet carrier. Filed off some of the legs and verified that the 4 tab was indeed sitting on the planet carrier using a .0015 feeler gauge between . Installed the silencer to help stabilize the reaction carrier while checking end play (helped a lot).now I'll wait for the thicker ck shim that is in the kit. My question now is
[Linked Image]

What do we use as a basis to decide what exactly is the correct end play say between the sun gear and rear drum. I do realize that I can tighten up the reaction to CS end play with a 34500-z shim.
Right now the CS-reaction end play is .045" but I don't know how thick the CK shim will be. Chris emailed me and said the billet stuff and the kit won't ship till the 8th.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Rear Unit End-Play will take care of ALL the "Bearing'ed" components from the Center Support Down.

As noted in the below drawing....Additional Shimming under the Sun Gear will Increase the Reaction Carrier to Center Support End-Play!
The .041" shim is factory on all 1999 & up 4L80E's, As the Center Support was shaved by .041".....This didn't effect any components End-Play.
Explanation (Page 6).....HERE

Sonnax part# 34006-05 are the shims I use to tighten the Reaction Carrier to Center Support End-Play.

[Linked Image]

1. Rear Unit End-play: .003" to .005" (Rollerized Output)
2. Reaction Carrier to Center Support End-play: .008" to .015"......(.015" being ideal with the Brass Thrust)
3. Forward Clutch Hub to Direct Drum: .005" to .008" (Rollerized)
4. Front End-play: .002" to .005" looser than Rear Unit end-play

Back