4l60e woes

Hey guys. Figured I should post this here. Please move it if it's in the wrong place

2002 chevrolet silverado 1500. 4.8 v8 with the 4l60e. It is a 2wd truck.
She slips on the 2-3 shift. And that tells me it's probably time for a new trans.
I'm not complaining. It's got 252,000 hard miles on it. Ive pulled other trucks and vehicles without An external trans cooler long distances. Ive used my truck as a truck basically. I added a bottle of lucas stop slip to help get me by until I decide to rebuild the current one, or buy a new or reman unit.
So the question is, what do I do? Rebuild my current trans or get a unit?
If so, what's a reputable manufacturer for a complete unit? I will be doing the replacement myself.
What I will do while I'm in there doing a trans replacement.
Replace rear main seal on the 4.8
New torque converter
Big external trans cooler, that bypasses the one in the rad
New u joints.
Dexron 6 fluid and filter change after the first 10k miles

I’ve had spotty success we rebuilds. Really depends on the shop. Did go with a GM rebuild once and it worked out well.

I hope someone could point me in the right direction, along with anything else that I should do "while I'm in there." This truck has never let me down. I put a fuel pump in it once due to having to attempt to start it 5 times before it would start, and that was at 200,000 miles. This truck is probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever had.

i agree with bullwinkle on a rebuild by local shop. Over the years I have a lot better luck with rebuilding my old units trans, alternator, starter. When you rebuild your units you know what problems need correcting but with unknown cores you do not know what problems you will inherit.

I rebuilt the 4L60E in the Safari in 2014 because of 2-3 slippage and eventual loss of 3rd.

I bought an outrageously expensive (complete) rebuild kit from a small shop in So. Cal. This is the heavy duty kit contents. I added new solenoids, wiring harness, range/neutral safety switch and a rebuilt converter.
kit parts list.jpg

There were a few tools I had to buy to disassemble/reassemble, like bushing installation tools and a spring compressor. The most time consuming part of the whole thing was cleaning out all the black garbage that got circulated throughout the case and valve body. Simple Green, brush and hot water did the job.

Last edited:
A lower mileage core as the base of a rebuild would be preferable. If you're willing to drive to DFW....I can build you one.
Dfw Texas? That's a long drive lol I live in Mississippi

Not the 4Lslippy 😭
How many neutrals are there 😳
Third gear is a myth 😂
The 4Lslippy has only 1 numeral as of now. That's been a tough transmission. Still has fluid and filter from 2002. I've pulled way heavier than I should've many many times. I drive that truck like a formula 1 racer and the only things I've done are general engine maintenance and greasing the front suspension every 2 oil changes.
Which leads me to ask, why does the 4l60e have a bad reputation? I've had 4 vehicles with them and never had issues (this one is extremely abused, so it is my fault here).
Was it the earlier ones?

The 4L60E is one tough transmission. I've managed a number of fleets with Express vans that were overloaded, I'm sure the drivers abused them and we never lost one.

Time flies but circa '17 the 4L60E in our '05 Tahoe went out. A reman installed by our local dealership was within a couple hundred of Jaspers from indys..... we paid $3200 IIRC and then I knew any dealership would stand behind GM's warranty (100k miles, maybe?)

I was working like crazy at the time and simply had NO time to deal with it myself. We dropped it off in the morning and had it back that afternoon, so it worked great for my hectic schedule.

I'm sure prices are much higher now....surely it's Putin's fault because everything is.

It went from 180k to 230k when we sold the vehicle with no problems.

I've heard of Corvette servos can extend the life of the 4L60e. Pretty cheap and easy project to try to tighten up the 2-3 shift.

Back