4l60e woes

Which leads me to ask why they have a bad reputation.
As long as you put something anemic in front of them, they seem to hold up OK, but I know even the 5.3's were killing them (my buddy's old work truck was through several) and those weren't stump pullers by any measure. Ergo, I'm not surprised you got good life out of one with the 4.8L in front of it, as it makes less than 300lb-ft of torque.

I hope someone could point me in the right direction, along with anything else that I should do "while I'm in there." This truck has never let me down. I put a fuel pump in it once due to having to attempt to start it 5 times before it would start, and that was at 200,000 miles. This truck is probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever had.
I think if you have a reputable rebuilder that's a good option. These are considered a pretty simple transmission to rebuild these days. It's obviously a decent core because it lasted as long as it did. My 2005 Silverado has 232k miles on it, original 4L60E. Shifts great still. I added a cooler and changed the fluid a couple of times. I'm hoping for 300k miles but whenever it does fail I will be getting it rebuilt.

It's obviously a decent core because it lasted as long as it did.

Not necessarily, It could be completely worn out & starting with a lower mileage core might be better. 4L60E cores all the way to 2013 can be modified to work as well. ('09-'13 require an '02-'08 valve body)

High mileage 4L60's are known to wipe out the rear stator support bushing.....Taking out the Stator Support & the Input Drum.
If the Case Lugs have wear where the Center Support rides as well.....The unit is basically totaled.
A heavily worn rear stator bushing will compromise the 3-4 Clutch sealing rings & cause 3-4 clutch failure.

GM SRTA's do have a really good warranty.....Even though build quality is usually not that great. Keep in mind it has to be installed by a shop for the warranty to be valid.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, It could be completely worn out & starting with a lower mileage core might be better. 4L60E cores all the way to 2013 can be modified to work as well. ('09-'13 require an '02-'08 valve body)

High mileage 4L60's are known to wipe out the rear stator support bushing.....Taking out the Stator Support & the Input Drum.
If the Case Lugs have wear where the Center Support rides as well.....The unit is basically totaled.
A heavily worn rear stator bushing will compromise the 3-4 Clutch sealing rings & cause 3-4 clutch failure.

GM SRTA's do have a really good warranty.....Even though build quality is usually not that great. Keep in mind it has to be installed by a shop for the warranty to be valid.
But then some of them just burn out the clutches early and get a basic rebuild and fail again because they never fixed whatever was causing it to fail in the first place.
My father in law has an 04 Savannah van and it failed at 70k miles. Got rebuilt, it still only at like 100k but it shifts very soft and mushy. My 240k mile trans shifts nice and crisp in comparison.
I'd never heard that cases were basically a consumable item on these trans? Or is that just a very occasional issue?
Would be a real tough decision for me choosing between a questionable gm rebuild with a good warranty or a rebuild from a reputable local rebuilder.
The most important thing to me is not having any issues with the new rebuild as I get paid mileage every day I drive my truck for work and rental trucks are not easily come by.

Which leads me to ask why they have a bad reputation.
They dont unless you neglect them. Only 4L I would avoid is one behind the 4.3 Vortec LU3. Simply because the converters are smaller and I believe the transmissions are easily overheated with these applications. Especially in express/safariVan's. People will overload them not really knowing. I have tore a many of them out prematurely because of this.

M30s were some of the best 4 speed transmissions ever built and I stand by that assertion.

Makes sense. I've never towed in overdrive. I've just towed way too heavy alot. Every time I tow more than my empty 4x6 mower trailer and honda 300 fourtrax, it gets tow/haul and shifted to 3rd instead of D. Most of the time even with the 300 and small trailer.

But then some of them just burn out the clutches early and get a basic rebuild and fail again because they never fixed whatever was causing it to fail in the first place.
My father in law has an 04 Savannah van and it failed at 70k miles. Got rebuilt, it still only at like 100k but it shifts very soft and mushy. My 240k mile trans shifts nice and crisp in comparison.
I'd never heard that cases were basically a consumable item on these trans? Or is that just a very occasional issue?
Would be a real tough decision for me choosing between a questionable gm rebuild with a good warranty or a rebuild from a reputable local rebuilder.
The most important thing to me is not having any issues with the new rebuild as I get paid mileage every day I drive my truck for work and rental trucks are not easily come by.

I won't get into hacked rebuilds, The van needs a pressure gauge/transducer hooked to it!

TH350, TH250, 700R4, & 4L60E are susceptible to Case Lug wear, Engine's idling lower & Electronic IAC strategies in general has helped lesson the amount of wear over the life of the unit.

Back