4G/5G Hotspot

I currently have an unlocked Netgear MR1100 hotspot for my internet though T Mobile (via Consumer Cellular). This is 3G/4G capable and will be obsolete at the end of the year.

So I need a good unlocked 4g/5G hotspot with an Ethernet out. I could use a MiFi type device and as I have a WiFi extender with Ethernet out. Previously I used Verizon internet like this.

Consumer Cellular say that no 3G devce will work after the end of the year. So any suggestion would be appreciated.

If it's connecting in LTE (4G) mode it would continue to work. That unit is far from obsolete.

The large number of LTE bands mean that there is rarely one device to buy that will work with all carriers. At least not work on the best band that each carrier offers.

5G is only a thing in major cities, and is likely to stay that way for years.

No this is not what I am being told. I am told that any backward compatable 3G device will be obsolete. This is with both AT&T and T Mobile.

That has a Cat 16 LTE radio, compared to the typical $99 hotspot that is Cat 4. They should love you for using it since it supports fast modulations that save airtime for other customers.

Does it have a setting where you can turn off 3G modes like GSM, HSDPA, and WCDMA? If you do that and make it LTE only then it's not backwards compatible, is it?

As far as band region I can chose Auto, WCDMA All or LTE all. Currently on LTE band 12 when on Auto.

Here is the chat session I had this morning.

*** Paul joined the chat ***
Paul: I need to upgrade my hotspot and need to know what specs are needed.
Consumer Cellular: Your chat request will be assigned to an available agent in the order it was received. Please allow just a moment.
*** Peter K. joined the chat ***
Peter K.: Thank you for contacting Consumer Cellular. My name is Peter and I'll be assisting you today. Before we begin, please give me a moment to review your issue today and then we'll get started.
Peter K.: Hi, Paul. Thanks for chatting with us. I can certainly help you today. In order to verify the account, may I have the last 4 of the account holder's social? Please provide only the last 4 numbers. Also, can you confirm your first and last name for me please?
Paul:
Peter K.: Thank you.
Peter K.: We actually stopped selling hot spot devices as most smartphones today have that feature already programmed into them.
Paul: Yes I know. I have my own hotspot and need one with an Ethernet output.
Peter K.: I understand, but we do not sell any newer models.
Paul: I know. But what is it with my current model that makes it soon to be obsolete?
Paul: I need to now what the spec is that is obsolete.
Peter K.: It's operating on 3g technology. Carriers across the country are shutting down their 3g networks.
Paul: It is never used for phone calls. It is all data.
Peter K.: SO it's not the device, it's the network that's going out.
Paul: So the 4G LTE is going out?
Peter K.: No, only 3g
Peter K.: After the shutdown there will only be 4gLTE and 5g
Paul: So my device is 3g/4g capable. Will it still be working?
Peter K.: I checked, and the hotspot device will be affected by the shutdown.
Paul: So I guess any hotspot that is 3G capable will not be any good? They have to be 4G/5G? That is what I need to know.
Peter K.: Yes, any 3g device will be inoperable after the shutdown.
Paul: This is on the T Mobile line. Is this also true for the AT&T line?
Peter K.: Yes.
Paul: Ok.
Peter K.: Did you need help with anything else today?
Paul: No. Thank you.
Peter K.: Thanks for chatting with us and have a wonderful day. Please end this chat session by clicking the end chat button at the bottom of the chat window below your text box. If you're on a mobile device, tap the menu button at the top left corner of the chat window.
*** Peter K. left the chat ***
*** Paul left the chat ***

[TD valign="top"]
Chat started on 02 Nov 2020, 02:36 PM (GMT+0)​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] (02:36:46) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:36:46) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:36:48) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:39:09) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:39:32) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:40:15) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:40:35) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:40:58) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:41:46) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:42:33) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:42:53) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:43:28) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:43:55) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:44:20) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:44:32) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:44:34) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:44:57) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:47:42) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:48:02) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:48:48) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:49:56) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:51:07) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:51:36) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:52:22) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:52:50) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:53:22) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:53:45) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:54:05) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:54:16) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (02:56:55) [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] (03:22:37) [/TD]

Attachments

• T mobile hot spot deadline 3.jpg
    T mobile hot spot deadline 3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I don't know. But the specifically state my device. And have been warning of this since this summer. Netgear is not of much use as they don't acknowledge the problem. I've found most cell carriers don't offer much help with hotspots. They seem to dislike them.

They are talking about phone calls on a non-VoLTE phone. Certain early 4G smartphones that don't support Voice Over LTE, which encodes a phone call into 4G, send data over LTE but need to drop back to old 2G or 3G standards to make or receive a phone call. Those calls of course will stop working after towers no longer support 2G or 3G signals.

This doesn't affect you at all since a hotspot can't make phone calls in the first place. But they don't realize that. They have a list of IMEI numbers of the phones that support VoLTE, and your device is not on it.

They are talking about phone calls on a non-VoLTE phone. Certain early 4G smartphones that don't support Voice Over LTE, which encodes a phone call into 4G, send data over LTE but need to drop back to old 2G or 3G standards to make or receive a phone call. Those calls of course will stop working after towers no longer support 2G or 3G signals.

This doesn't affect you at all since a hotspot can't make phone calls in the first place. But they don't realize that. They have a list of IMEI numbers of the phones that support VoLTE, and your device is not on it.
That's kind of what I figured. Just don't want to lose the Internet out of the blue and have to get a new device unexpectedly.

It is a very good router I might add.

I currently have an unlocked Netgear MR1100 hotspot for my internet though T Mobile (via Consumer Cellular). This is 3G/4G capable and will be obsolete at the end of the year.

So I need a good unlocked 4g/5G hotspot with an Ethernet out. I could use a MiFi type device and as I have a WiFi extender with Ethernet out. Previously I used Verizon internet like this.

Consumer Cellular say that no 3G devce will work after the end of the year. So any suggestion would be appreciated.
I thought consumer cellular rides on att.. I have simply safe home security and had to swap out free of charge the cellular module that was on T-Mobile 2g to a Verizon lte module. Guess the 2g/3g networks are being phased out.

They use ATT and T Mobile. I use T Mobile for the hotspot and ATT for my phone both through CC. T Mobile tower is a bit closer and I get a better signal using external antennas. T Mobile phone service is way to spotty to use for a phone around me. Or at least it was before the merger.

Back