$48 Value battery 2 week test

Yeah you are in Texas blupupher and that makes life hard on your batteries.

3 years is decent considering where you are at.

Hope you have been doing good man.
Yeah, I know, the heat is bad for batteries, but sometimes it is just a crapshoot on them.
My mom had a NAPA battery last over 5 years in her Saturn Vue.
I don't think I have had a battery last more than 3.5 years in my truck (about to get my 4th battery in 9 years).
I have debated getting the Walmart AGM ($150 for the Group 65 for my truck) just to test if it is "better". Comes with a 4 year warranty, so maybe it would last that long in the truck?

Last time I was at Walmart, they actually had some "N" (northern) batteries in stock for some sizes (higher CCA, more, but thinner lead plates) that don't last near as long as "S" (southern) batteries (lower CCA (but still at or above vehicle requirements) with thicker lead plates) that tend to last longer in the heat.

Work sucks, but pays the bills, some days I want to get out of nursing, but stick with it.
Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
I was led to believe that the difference between N and S batteries was not the number or thickness of the plates, but the strength of the electrolyte.
This was gleaned from an intelligent engineer who was in the industry 30+ years ago, and of course things have changed for the max profit mindset, so who knows if it still remains true or partly true, or partly true sometimes.

For the flooded batteries with removable caps, of the marine and starting batteries I have dipped with a temperature compensating hydrometer, the electrolyte has ranged from 1.270 to 1.285 when fully charged, and newish.

But when the batteries are low on water, it is far easier to get a 1.285 reading, and when refilled that same battery struggles to read 1.270, even when it is held at high voltages and physically agitated to thoroughly mix the electrolyte.

Likewise when low on water, just above the plates full charge resting voltage can read abnormally high, and when refilled abnormally low.

I believe the CCA can be manipulated just by the strength of the electrolyte.

Each 10 degree C in rise of the electrolyte doubles the rate at which the sulfuric acid solution eats the plates, so manipulating its strength can certainly affect the amount of warranty returns.

I would be interested if Southern batteries do indeed ship with ~1.265 max strength electrolyte, and northern batteries ~1.310, as that engineer claimed was truth 30 years ago.

Either way I think that blanket statements should be taken with a grain of salt or 2. There's some findings in the following link which go against the common beliefs, regarding plate number and thickness of starting vs marine batteries.

OP, what are you using for a battery tester? Does it have built-in temperature compensation?

The Midtronics I used at the tire store did; it required that I point an infared temp sensor at the battery before calculating a result. I similarly expect it to calculate SOC from voltage and temp, and use that data for the final result as well.

My Cen-Tech and other Chinese special make no mention of whether they do or not, but if they did it would be internal to the device and assuming the battery is the same temp.

I was led to believe that the difference between N and S batteries was not the number or thickness of the plates, but the strength of the electrolyte.
This was gleaned from an intelligent engineer who was in the industry 30+ years ago, and of course things have changed for the max profit mindset, so who knows if it still remains true or partly true, or partly true sometimes.

I have also read that the electrolyte balance is different, but not sure if it is either a plate thickness difference or different strength electrolyte or a combination of both, or just the same battery with a label difference?

I personally would not buy a battery marketed as a northern battery down here in Texas regardless of what the difference (if any real difference) is.

I have 2 of the HF 5$ , 1/2 amp floaters . 1for the U1 battery for my mower and the other to keep the Rat's battery going. I can usually get 3seasons out of a U1 before it needs a jump to start the mower. I'm not scientific about it. I just plug them in when I remember it. I try to plug the Rat in at least once a month.

The small solar maintainers are lifesavers! My F-450 can go 2 months without being driven, but the solar maintainer keeps the 2 group 65 Everstart Maxx batteries topped up. I used to actually keep TWO maintainers on my '06 Ram, because the keyless entry, etc. drew more than the 10 watt maintainer put out, but I haven't lost a battery yet on seldom driven vehicles since I started using them. I doubt if anyone's going to break into a car to steal a ~$20 maintainer! Also, the xB's Value Power is now coming up on 4 years old with no issues, but that car could probably start on a few D cells in series!

The small solar maintainers are lifesavers! My F-450 can go 2 months without being driven, but the solar maintainer keeps the 2 group 65 Everstart Maxx batteries topped up. I used to actually keep TWO maintainers on my '06 Ram, because the keyless entry, etc. drew more than the 10 watt maintainer put out, but I haven't lost a battery yet on seldom driven vehicles since I started using them. I doubt if anyone's going to break into a car to steal a ~$20 maintainer! Also, the xB's Value Power is now coming up on 4 years old with no issues, but that car could probably start on a few D cells in series!

Your favorite solar maintainer?

I've got a few years old cheap HF one that works great. I tried to buy another one, but the newer ones are junk and only work in the HF parking lot, and break when I tested them again when I got home.

Back