46PPM lead and 21PPM Copper in S54 BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Oil analysis from 2002 BMW M Coupe with the dreaded rod bearing worry has me very NERVOUS! BMW changed out the rod bearings on M3s with this motor but not the M Coupes.

46PPM Lead is HIGH...am I close to failure now at 60,000 miles? Always ran TWS 10W-60 with annual changes and I drive like a Grandpa (I am).

I hear a slight "BUZZ" from the motor on overrun/closed throttle when shifting, can you hear rod bearing troubles?

This started one day while picking my car up from the shop...did some porter RED LINE my car on cold oil (A S54 NO NO!)?

I will admit this may be coming from "left field", but it is also based on my experience with many dozens of "Sxx" engines (from the E30 M3 S14 and early M5/M6 engines to the E90/92 M3 and M5/M6 V10)....

That experience is that these engines practically beg to be revved into the stratosphere, regardless of having 4 cylinders or 10. Perhaps you could get a better feeling of how your engine is doing by driving it like a banshee and paying close attention to how it responds? With the S54 and the early engines' bearing issue, it presented as a sudden failure with no warning signs. Rather, no reported warning signs.

Also, if memory serves, the E36/7 M Coupes had a slightly detuned S54, rated at 310bhp rather than 333bhp as in the M3, along with a slightly lower redline? Perhaps this put less stress on the engine, thus the bearings just didn't fail? I do not know for certain, but I could try and find out for.you if you'd like...

Sincerely,
nleksan

I would pull the bearings before they wipe the crank.
Not a big deal right now but if the crank takes a hit its going to hurt.

Parts per MILLION! Nothing here to indicate severe bearing wear.

Careful examination of drained oil and the filter contents will tell you if there are particles of bearing material in the sump.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Careful examination of drained oil and the filter contents will tell you if there are particles of bearing material in the sump.

Average for this Motor is 4ppm Lead and 1ppm Copper. I think TEN TIMES the normal lead is an indication of bearing wear, no?

Originally Posted By: nleksan
I will admit this may be coming from "left field", but it is also based on my experience with many dozens of "Sxx" engines (from the E30 M3 S14 and early M5/M6 engines to the E90/92 M3 and M5/M6 V10)....

That experience is that these engines practically beg to be revved into the stratosphere, regardless of having 4 cylinders or 10. Perhaps you could get a better feeling of how your engine is doing by driving it like a banshee and paying close attention to how it responds? With the S54 and the early engines' bearing issue, it presented as a sudden failure with no warning signs. Rather, no reported warning signs.

Also, if memory serves, the E36/7 M Coupes had a slightly detuned S54, rated at 310bhp rather than 333bhp as in the M3, along with a slightly lower redline? Perhaps this put less stress on the engine, thus the bearings just didn't fail? I do not know for certain, but I could try and find out for.you if you'd like...

Sincerely,
nleksan

True, the M Coupe has a lower output due to a different exhaust manifold and a slightly lower redline too, but many M Coupes and Roadsters had Rod bearing replacements. They sure did fail and it looks like I am joining the club.

Standard UOAs are not fail-safe indicators are recent or near-future catastrophic failures because such events tend to produce particle sizes above what standard UOAs detect. This could be nothing or could be something. Inspect oil filter first and foremost for large particles.

I've seen copper or lead in the hundreds of PPM realm in UOAs of non-failing engines.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

+1. If you had bearing wear that would be of concern the number would be in the hundreds or more. This would typically also increase wear of other metals as well.

At face value i agree 100% 46 PPM isn't much but how much got caught in the filter?
These engines are well known for bearing issues and if left too long and all to often results in a big dollar repair.
JMHO

Originally Posted By: Trav
At face value i agree 100% 46 PPM isn't much but how much got caught in the filter?

If I'm not mistaken, the parts that a typical UOA measures are so small that they would not have been trapped by the filter in the first place. That's not to say that there weren't some larger chunks present that did get trapped in the filter....

OP, where is the whole UOA report?

Quote:
That's not to say that there weren't some larger chunks present that did get trapped in the filter....

That was my thought but the filter is long gone.

But that's not the point really is it.
If the higher than normal ppm numbers is indicative of something seriously wrong it will show up in the oil filter as visable sparklies or worse. If absolutely nothing is there I don't think there is anything to worry about.
The nice thing about Bimmers with there cartridge filters, it's simply a matter of unscrewing the cap and having a look at any time.

Since the OP drives his car so conservatively, I'd also consider running a lighter oil such as M1 0W-40. It can only help with the cold start wear.

If the copper is from the bearings then it's too late to save them. As TRAV said I would be looking into replaceing the bearings soon.

Trav is correct. The early S54 motors, like yours, had rod bearing problems. Replace them ASAP.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

Trav is correct. The early S54 motors, like yours, had rod bearing problems. Replace them ASAP.

Roger that... the risk is too great! Rebuilt S54 short block from BMW is about $17,000. Used engines may well have the same issue as my motor. Made an appointment to get new Rod Bearings for about $1800 or so. If it makes my motor stay together for another ten years...I'll be happy!

Last edited:
Just a question..is this your first oil analysis? Have you had an inspection 1 or inspection 2 service? If you did they probably added techron to your fuel tank..from what I've seen techron will cause high lead readings. I'm a BMW mechanic and the dealer I work at uses the BMW fuel system cleaner which is rebadged techron. Just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back