TWS 10W-60 BMW M Coupe 1500mile post Rod Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
[img:center]
2mg8fi9.jpg
[/img]

I finally feel good about the bearing replacement in my S54 M Coupe.

First OA is the "PANIC VALUE" one that made me pull the oil pan to find #2 Rod bearing toast and the others worn a bit.

Next I tested the oil at 500miles to see what the inital break in wear was (driving under 3500RPM).

Now at 1500 miles post repair with no RPM limit I do not show much additional Copper or Lead. I feel good and will test the oil when drained (+ - 6000miles). Note: at 1500miles the TWS is still in grade...a 50Wt @ 6000miles in my first OA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab
Note: at 1500miles the TWS is still in grade.

Not really. I don't know where Blackstone is getting their figures from.

An Xw-60 oil should have viscosity between 21.9 and 26.1 according to SAE J300.

Your oil is now a mid-50 grade. This is very typical for this particular oil. It does not stay in grade for very long. No cause for concern though.

http://widman.biz/English/Tables/J300.html

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ammolab
Note: at 1500miles the TWS is still in grade.

Not really. I don't know where Blackstone is getting their figures from.

An Xw-60 oil should have viscosity between 21.9 and 26.1 according to SAE J300.

Your oil is now a mid-50 grade. This is very typical for this particular oil. It does not stay in grade for very long. No cause for concern though.

http://widman.biz/English/Tables/J300.html

Thanks! I see that but I'm also good with it staying a 50Wt.

I'd dump the oil in a thousand miles or so, simply to get any break in junk outta there before you start going back to a normal OCI.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I'd dump the oil in a thousand miles or so, simply to get any break in junk outta there before you start going back to a normal OCI.

With those 2 Oil Results.... I don't see any "Break in Junk" in there. Only things changed were Rod Bearings...only "Junk" would be Lead/Copper, right?

Based on the silicon I see it doesnt seem like you had much dirt ingress during the job. I usually try to valve adjustments on my engines just before oil changes for that reason. With those numbers I dont see a reason for an early change.

Its nice to see an oil analysis save someones engine.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Based on the silicon I see it doesnt seem like you had much dirt ingress during the job. I usually try to valve adjustments on my engines just before oil changes for that reason. With those numbers I dont see a reason for an early change.

Its nice to see an oil analysis save someones engine.

They charged me for a whole tube of sealant on the pan gasket...I would expect to see MORE silicon on the post repair report. Nice save, yes! And I feel even better with the good Post Op results!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back