40w oil warmup

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i switch to 40w oil this summer, doi have to let it warmup more than my 30w? With to 30w i now warmup the boat while i park the trailer and get ready idling out ect. This is about 5 minutes. Should i go longer with the 40w if the temps are about 70f?

this is not scientific but I start up my motor ,let it run untill it will idle turn off the motor ,it is a flatbottom drag race kinda boat put it in gear then idle out of the 5 mile per hour zone then drive it easy untill the oil warms up like I do to my cars.Iuse delo 400 15\40
or 40 and change it often because marine use is hard on the oil.

Can you tell the difference between the 15w-40 and the 40? Are your pressure and performance the same? By the way, what do you mean you "idle until it runs then shut it off"?

JonS I let engine build oil pressure and make sure water is pumping the alternater is putting out by then it is a minute or so then I have to shut the motor off to put in to gear as it has a basic Casale v drive I am sorry I did not explain myself better. the oil pressure with the 15/40
is about the same as the 40 wt.oil when up to operating temperature what ever that is ,because I am to cheap to buy a oil temp gauge.

Steve,
What year model and hull brand is you Flatty? What motor is in it and size /pitch of prop and diameter of the pop shaft ? What gears are in it?

Do you have a single Cavitation Plate or three separate and up/down pedals?

Is the boat completely flat at the back or do you have two runner of 1/4 to 3/4 inch deep running from the back forwards about 6-7 ft till it "V's out" ?

All this is off topic but I am interested in these boats more than Cars,thats for sure
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back