407k on copper plugs

I thought some of you would enjoy this - a very good customer of mine brought her 2015 Tacoma with the 4.0 V6 in for a CEL flashing. The #6 coil died, so it's getting a coil and a set of plugs.

The owner is a courier and puts a LOT of miles on. She always buys Tacoma's, puts 400-450k on on 5-6 years then trades it in on a new one. I couldn't find any record in our system that we had done plugs on this one yet.

The plugs (old and new) are Denso K20HR-U11's. Here's a pic of the old plug for reference, the gap was around .090".

Attachments

• 20210126_100711.jpg
    20210126_100711.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 35
That's for posting. Can't believe there was any electrode left. Pretty hefty gap though. Out of curiosity, what's her transmission service been like? Original?

Reactions: JC1
That's for posting. Can't believe there was any electrode left. Pretty hefty gap though. Out of curiosity, what's her transmission service been like? Original?
The transmission is all original. I did have to put one in her last Taco around 350k, but this one has been bulletproof. Same with the engine and drivetrain. All her Tacoma's have been basically perfect through her ownership.

Clean, re-gap, and re-use. I would've told her to come back at 1 million miles for a set of plugs.

Some engines just don't stress certain components. Her driving style must not be too stressful either.

F!@#ing Toyota, you would think they could make a coil last more than 407k miles?

Copper plugs are like $25 a set and you would put those back in?

Copper plugs are like $25 a set and you would put those back in?
Waste not, want not. Those clearly have another 100k on them, maybe 200k. By then maybe the vehicle might be dead and gone?

That $25, if invested in the market for 50-75 years, might pay for another vehicle!

What went back in? Hopefully Iridium or Ruthenium
Nope, matching Denso's went back in. No sense putting expensive plugs in when the originals lasted this long. She's planning on getting a '20 or '21 this spring, by that time she'll have around 430k on this one and it will be time for a new one!

Curious she drives a truck all those miles. Imagine the cost savings if you drove a prius or corolla hybrid. But who knows, maybe she needs the carrying capacity.

Copper plug on a 2015 Toyota? I didn't think Toyota used copper since 1999? I wonder if perhaps these weren't original plugs and maybe they just went as cheap as possible with coppers previously?

Either way, I do love Toyota's reliability.

Back