40 mile 2007 Yukon oil change Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. But that is not oil related. If your engine blew up or needed repair your oil would have nothing to do with it. They would fix it because it was a failed part and their problem.

Does anyone else think this is kinda stupid....why run 25,000 miles of ANY oil on an engine that was still in the meat of it's break-in? Any results are basically worthless for that reason.

If it's perfectly in viscosity, will that mean it sheared and thickened up, or that it thickened up and then sheared? You won't be able to tell if the oil was failing and increasing wear metals. TBN will most likely be below 3, regardless.

I vote that the UOA will be pretty much useless and nothing conclusive will come out of it except the idea of running oil with that many PPM of metal in it for 25000 miles is not a good idea.

Joe

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Sure. But that is not oil related. If your engine blew up or needed repair your oil would have nothing to do with it. They would fix it because it was a failed part and their problem.

So, .05% problem rate is 1/5000, right? Drove a Chrysler 3.3l in a Dodge Caravan and had it implode just under the warranty but crossed over 70,000 limping the engine back home since the first sign of something wrong was a ticking that started on the last leg of a road trip through the Southwest US. Chrysler refused to assist in any way and the engine had to be replaced with a rebuild (will never buy another car from them, quality is the worst of all the major makers).

Had a Honda Accord 2.3l start consuming a lot of oil prior to 36,000 miles and Honda replaced it at 50,000 miles.

That's two engine failures that *could* be blamed on motor oil. At 0.05%/failure needing repair that would make my situation 1 in 25 million! If you factor in the fact that these were the only two engines I've had experience with we might be talking about 1 in 5 million chance of experiencing two of these events. I'm willing to bet problems are more common than that.

^Maybe its your oil
28.gif

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine

So, .05% problem rate is 1/5000, right? Drove a Chrysler 3.3l in a Dodge Caravan and had it implode just under the warranty but crossed over 70,000 limping the engine back home since the first sign of something wrong was a ticking that started on the last leg of a road trip through the Southwest US. Chrysler refused to assist in any way and the engine had to be replaced with a rebuild (will never buy another car from them, quality is the worst of all the major makers).

Had a Honda Accord 2.3l start consuming a lot of oil prior to 36,000 miles and Honda replaced it at 50,000 miles.

That's two engine failures that *could* be blamed on motor oil. At 0.05%/failure needing repair that would make my situation 1 in 25 million! If you factor in the fact that these were the only two engines I've had experience with we might be talking about 1 in 5 million chance of experiencing two of these events. I'm willing to bet problems are more common than that.

Have you considered playing the Lottery?
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA
Does anyone else think this is kinda stupid....why run 25,000 miles of ANY oil on an engine that was still in the meat of it's break-in? Any results are basically worthless for that reason.

If it's perfectly in viscosity, will that mean it sheared and thickened up, or that it thickened up and then sheared? You won't be able to tell if the oil was failing and increasing wear metals. TBN will most likely be below 3, regardless.

I vote that the UOA will be pretty much useless and nothing conclusive will come out of it except the idea of running oil with that many PPM of metal in it for 25000 miles is not a good idea.

Joe

I think it will be a VERY good analysis to see (if it gets posted) - you will see a 'true 25k run' of Amsoil, without top up or filter changes to skew the results. We will see what Amsoil is actually capable of in very long, uninterfered run.

From what I understand addyguy, break-in is one of the roughest periods on an oil....from both a heat, pressure, and contaminant standpoint.

I agree that if the TBN is decent, that'll be a testament....but the wear levels? The viscosity? Won't those be pretty useless?

Does OAI do a TAN assessment?

OrdnanceMarine: You hit the nail on the head. "Could" be oil related. Prove it was. Did they try to claim it was? Did they even ask or care?

Out of the millions of engines produced the internal engine failures are rare and any oil related failures would be incredibly small.

**Remind me to make sure I never buy a used car that you owned. You are bad luck!

Last edited:
I have no doubt oils can last well beyond what we see in owner's manuals. The question I have is how do engines look after 100k+ miles of going 25,000 miles per change? 25,000/yr is a lot of highway miles so it can be done. You chose a good oil to test.

I can't answer for sure how they look, buster, but I do about two 25k changes a year for a friend of mine using Amsoil ATM/ASL. His first car on the program was a Grand Prix with the 3.8 which went over 200k before he traded it. Last oil change was 27k on both oil and EAO29 filter and the car used 1.5 qt of oil in 27k. Not that it necessarily tells a great deal but looking through the oil fill hole always appeared remarkably clean.

His new car is a Monte Carlo with the (I think)3.4L and that has been using .5 qt per 25k. We have never done a UOA as he feels the results speak for themselves and doesn't care about numbers. All he knows is his cars last, use little oil and he saves a heap on oil changes. I may donate a kit just out of curiosity to see what the oil looks like.

Looking forward to that UOA. Personally I would of performed a couple of short 3k intervals with dino to flush those wear metals out before starting a monster 25k run on amsoil.

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine

reminds me of a guy I sold a GMC safari workvan to. we got to talking, I asked him about what happened to his last van. "transmission went out, twice". didn't want to fix it anymore. he told me about his wife's durango. "we have to get rid of that thing, nothing but transmission problems". about a month after he had my old van, I noticed I wasn't seeing it parked at his house anymore. guess what? his aunt told me the transmission went out on it.
some people have problems with every car they have, others have no problems with anything. sometimes that's just the way it goes.
on topic, I am looking foward to the report on the OP's truck, although going over the 12mo amsoil interval has me concerned.

Thanks for all the great replies! I should get my hands on the vehicle tonight and I will get the sample. Im still waiting for my OAI kit in the mail, luckily I have a KELLY TRACTOR/CATERPILLAR oil sample bottle I can save the sample in till OAI comes in, I want the TBN results and Kelly Tractor dont have TBN results.
so many posters so little faith!
LOL.gif

I have a 1993 Tarus SHO with 3 years on the oil and 26,000 miles,
no oil sample yet, I bet I get scolded for that too!
18.gif

OK oil change done sample collected and I will ship it out tomorrow morning, Oh and the vehicle is not a Yukon it is an Avalanche, and it has the OEM air filter so there goes the SI ppm to the moon...

I find it absolutely stupid to run an engine oil fro 25K miles. Oil change is as simple as taking a shower -- why not do it based on OEM recommended intervals.

The last thing one would want to do is have one's vehicle be a testing ground for Amsoil's tall claims (even if the UOA results come fine).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mpvue

reminds me of a guy I sold a GMC safari workvan to. we got to talking, I asked him about what happened to his last van. "transmission went out, twice". didn't want to fix it anymore. he told me about his wife's durango. "we have to get rid of that thing, nothing but transmission problem". about a month after he had my old van, I noticed I wasn't seeing it parked at his house anymore. guess what? his aunt told me the transmission went out on it.
some people have problems with every car they have, others have no problems with anything. sometimes that's just the way it goes.
on topic, I am looking foward to the report on the OP's truck, although going over the 12mo amsoil interval has me concerned.

It sounds more like it is an operator problem than a transmission problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back