40 mile 2007 Yukon oil change Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lazaro
results are in as I promised, you guys should have a field day with this! 40 miles to 25,856 miles 5.3 gas engine.
I did cut open the oil filter and the pleats, after cutting away from filter and squeezing out excess oil, were free of any large pieces of metal or free of any sludge, but the results are significant
Aluminum 12
Chromium 4
Iron 132
Copper 332
Lead 141
Tin 10
Moly 79
Potassium 7
Silicon 70
Sodium 45
Calcium 307
Magnesium 18
Phosphorus 614
boron 30
Zinc 782
cST Viscosity @100 14.5
TBN 2.76
OXIDATION 57
NITRATION 45

I want to add more report info, that Im learning due to OAI changing things around. the severity level was tagged at 3
Quote:

Severity Status Levels:
0- Normal.
1- At least one or more items have
violated initial flagging points
yet are still considered minor.
2- A trend is developing.
3- Simple maintenance and/or
diagnostics are recommended.
4- Failure is eminent if
maintenance is not performed

Quote:
Check air induction system (filters, housings, air intake, etc:) for source of abrasives (dirt). Abrasives (Silicon) are at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL; SUGGEST monitoring OIL PRESSURE closely between samples; Bearing metal is at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL; Viscosity is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGH; Base number is below acceptable minimum; Infrared results indicate OXIDATION is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGH; Cylinder region metals (pistons, rings, liners etc.) are at a MODERATE LEVEL; Lubricant and filter change acknowledged; Resample in 30 days;

Last edited:
In other words, this oil was run far too long and significant wear and oil degradation occurred.

The next 25k mile sample should look a bit better, hopefully.

It would be wise to perform a couple of short oci's to clean out the junk, then go back to extended oci's.

Originally Posted By: webfors
It would be wise to perform a couple of short oci's to clean out the junk, then go back to extended oci's.

I will do a 10,000 mile UOA in a few months, since the vehicle is driven daily 150 miles.

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
Wonder how much residual oil this engine hold on to? That could definitely skew any early samples you might take.

I did drain the OEM fill HOT! I do like to let the engine drain as long as possible. here is why, quick story.

My diesel truck had a flagged UOA 7% fuel so it stayed parked, until I felt like yanking the engine.
I let the oil drain for 5 days in a large pan.
3 months later I pulled the engine.
I decided to pull the drain just to make sure all the oil was out not to make a mess, 3 quarts came out! I said WTH!!
so I like to let it drain as long as possible, if not, the UOA may not be so bad.

new oil sample collected with 2000 miles.
8/9 days till I can post results.
this UOA was run with a generic oil filter.
it was changed with a EAO50.
both samples were with the oem air filter.
owner just added EAA filter couple weeks ago.
lets see whats new!

Originally Posted By: lazaro
new oil sample collected with 2000 miles.
8/9 days till I can post results.
this UOA was run with a generic oil filter.
it was changed with a EAO50.
both samples were with the oem air filter.
owner just added EAA filter couple weeks ago.
lets see whats new!

Data flagged for observation only; Copper is at a MINOR LEVEL; Bushing/thrust metal and/or most of the copper may be coming from lube cooler (as applicable); Please provide unit model number so we may compare data to the proper standards for this unit; Filter change acknowledged;
Aluminum 12==2
Chromium 4==0
Iron 132==18
Copper 332==78
Lead 141==19
Tin 10==1
Moly 79==57
Potassium 7==0
Silicon 70==12
Sodium 45==11
Calcium 3078==3389
Magnesium 18==13
Phosphorus 614==670
boron 30==210
Zinc 782==823
cST Viscosity @100 14.5==10.7
TBN 2.76==7.71
OXIDATION 57==40
NITRATION 45==21

Hard to tell if these are good results, b/c you are still flushing out all the wear metals from break-in. Its gonna take 2-3 shorter changes to see these number stabilize to something even resembling normal.

+1 addyguy. A couple more oci's and the wear metals will drop even more. Good results considering the first UOA. Trending down nicely.

You guys crack me up. That engine will go 200 to 300K + easily.

My friend is a top mechanic around here. He bought his suburban brand new. He changed the oil every 25K with Mobil 1. He had over 200K on it and it still ran like new when he traded it in on a new one.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
You guys crack me up. That engine will go 200 to 300K + easily.

My friend is a top mechanic around here. He bought his suburban brand new. He changed the oil every 25K with Mobil 1. He had over 200K on it and it still ran like new when he traded it in on a new one.

sounds like a dumb mechanic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back