40 mile 2007 Yukon oil change Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why run your oil so long on a new engine? Oil is cheap. I wouldn't fool with GM over this long OCI. Even if you had a non oil related internal engine problem GM would hammer you over your OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Don't expect to cash in on that 10 year 100,000 mile warranty any time soon.
smirk2.gif

Again with the spreading of misconceptions on BITOG. Unless the oil did some harm to the engine, the warranty is fully intact.

Oil Analyzers Inc (OAI) is an independent lab, yet in the Amsoil "family". They have now, what 6 or so labs around the country.

But back to the topic at hand. I'll bet copper is through the ROOF!!

Well I'm under the assumption it did do some harm to the engine. What GM considers excess wear numbers is anyone's guess. Either way, you'd have a heck of a time getting GM to fix anything wrong under warranty. There will be a lot of wear metals in this oil, what's to stop GM from saying they're excessive and you damaged the engine? There is a history of people who don't follow the UOAs and have gotten shafted. One member here had there F250 pulling a camper and the bearings were toasted. They went over the OCI by 3,000 miles and got the shaft from Ford despite evidence from UOA that no major wear took place from the extended OCI.

My point is, don't give the auto manufacture reason to void your warranty....UOAs don't tell you everything anyway.

Last edited:
They got shafted because they didnt fight it, that dealership just didnt want to replace an engine. Im curious as to how then proved that they went over by 3000 miles.

I have seen a few high mile engines running amsoil at 25,000 mile oil changes and they are doing fine though the miles are highway so it is amsoils recommended OCI for the oils use .My beef with Amsoil is not the Amsoil. It is the users who change it out at 5,000 miles and believe they're doing something good for the engine. You can change it ever day if it makes the user happy but that is not what Amsoil is designed is for.

smirk2.gif

Again with the spreading of misconceptions on BITOG. Unless the oil did some harm to the engine, the warranty is fully intact.

Oil Analyzers Inc (OAI) is an independent lab, yet in the Amsoil "family". They have now, what 6 or so labs around the country.

Well I'm under the assumption it did do some harm to the engine. What GM considers excess wear numbers is anyone's guess. Either way, you'd have a heck of a time getting GM to fix anything wrong under warranty. There will be a lot of wear metals in this oil, what's to stop GM from saying they're excessive and you damaged the engine? There is a history of people who don't follow the UOAs and have gotten shafted. One member here had there F250 pulling a camper and the bearings were toasted. They went over the OCI by 3,000 miles and got the shaft from Ford despite evidence from UOA that no major wear took place from the extended OCI.

My point is, don't give the auto manufacture reason to void your warranty....UOAs don't tell you everything anyway.
If you document the oil changes via uoa hopefully Amsoils legal dept. would stand up for your trust in amsoils claims.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Why run your oil so long on a new engine? Oil is cheap. I wouldn't fool with GM over this long OCI. Even if you had a non oil related internal engine problem GM would hammer you over your OCI.
G.M. only builds the highest quality vehicles
crackmeup2.gif

Glad i don't buy used vehicles, that's all i can say.

Copper is going to be thru the roof!!!

I'm chomping at the bit to drop the ASL out or our new gmc van; and it only has 7800 miles on the oil and EAO filter. OLM is now showing 0%, and has been for a week. Waiting until next month to order any more as the price is dropping.

I like Pablo's #'s but I think the oil will now be a 50 grade. I still think 15,000 miles is pushing it for any oil, including Amsoil, all but maybe the SSO/D1/S3k etc. I'm not convinced 25,000 is that practical.

Originally Posted By: buster
I like Pablo's #'s but I think the oil will now be a 50 grade. I still think 15,000 miles is pushing it for any oil, including Amsoil, all but maybe the SSO/D1/S3k etc. I'm not convinced 25,000 is that practical.

I like pablo's numbers as well.

I think 15k is attainable but only with UOA to back it up. But IT IS NOT attainable in a brand new engine that has a long history of leaching high amounts of copper during break in.
Our van's next OCI may go to 10k with ASL max, but the one after that will be 15k/1 yr.

4 pages on speculation, just wait until the test results come back. To the OP, this should have titled a 25,000 mile oil change, and may have drawn even more looky lou's.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
smirk2.gif

If you document the oil changes via uoa hopefully Amsoils legal dept. would stand up for your trust in amsoils claims.

Amsoil doens't have to honor any warranty. Amsoil requires you to change your oil every 12 months. he said it never needed a drop in 14 months.

I think the oil will thicken, lots of factory fill wear with copper, iron, and a touch of lead

warranty...shmarranty.

How many vehicles have internal engines problems really? .05%?

The tranny would fail before something involving the internals would.

I just had a friend go a pretty long time on Amsoil. I do not know how many miles or time is on it. She called me and said that the oil light flickered.

I told her add oil to the add line before driving it if you can't see oil on the stick. She told me she added 3 qts. I changed to dino with Auto-RX today and the oil had a very slight amount of shimmer to it on the bottom of the drain pan. Filter had no metal only slight carbon.

I think the Amsoil might have saved her engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
warranty...shmarranty.

Every single GM we've had for the past 10 years had the intake gaskets replaced under warranty.

[censored] happens, and denying that it does will most certainly activate Murphy's Law!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back