4 New Penzoil Oils

Horrible marketing and they need to stop talking about GTL. So what. It's a great base oil, one of many.
But GTL is the only distinguishing feature between Pennzoil and the other name brand oils! They have to ring that bell constantly!

My only issue with the GTL is their fully formulated oils tend to shear more than some others. Since they have a surplus of 3 cSt (and not 4 cSt and 6 cSt) I have speculated they may be asking the 3 cSt Base to do to much and as such require more VII.

Disclaimer: Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about which is why it's called speculation.

For a company that gets so many things right, they consistently have no idea how to market their products. It's kinda bizarre.

Well, they might. The whole battle might just be shelf space at Walmart and auto stores more than targeting specific customers. I'd bet it is a far more complicated equation than we know. Of course, none of them saw Covid coming, but rather were banking on the strong economy continuing, which it would likely have done.

Then again, history is littered with motor oil marketing misfires.

Maybe @GenaFishbeck can provide some further insight into the whearabouts of these oils?

Hi there - appreciate you looping us into the conversation! We at Pennzoil continuously evaluate our portfolio to ensure we’re producing the most technologically advanced products that meet the evolving needs of our customers. Through our evaluation, we have made the decision to streamline our product portfolio and will no longer be producing the Designed For Your Drive line of motor oils. Pennzoil remains driven by a passion for innovation and an ambition to make the highest performing motor oils on the market and we are proud to continue to offer an industry leading lineup of motor oils made from natural gas.

Our full line of quality products include Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic motor oil Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Top Off Oil Full Synthetic motor oil, Pennzoil Gold motor oil, Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle motor oil and Pennzoil motor oil. For additional information, please visit our website: https://www.pennzoil.com.

I thought someone posted about these oils last year. Marketing at it's finest.

Next thing someone will market is oil that doesn't require a filter change and charge $4.99 more a jug for it. ;-)

That one kind of snuck in without anyone here noticing. Top Off Full Synthetic? Really?
Oh, I noticed, but I thought it was a joke at first.
So I googled it, and turns out Pennzoil trademarked it last year.🤦‍♂️
Please don't.

Edit: I can think of one or two ways to market a "Top Off" product. Though I don't think SOPUS would go there...

Last edited:
Please don't.

Edit: I can think of one or two ways to market a "Top Off" product. Though I don't think SOPUS would go there...
What exactly is it?

Please don't.

If I had a GDI that consumes oil ? Think I’d top off with SAE30 to offset diluted oil …

Well, they might. The whole battle might just be shelf space at Walmart and auto stores more than targeting specific customers. I'd bet it is a far more complicated equation than we know. Of course, none of them saw Covid coming, but rather were banking on the strong economy continuing, which it would likely have done.

Then again, history is littered with motor oil marketing misfires.

I'm going to whack you in the shin with my golf club lol.

The above post was a reference to a crazy oil commercial from Castrol, by the way. With a Scotsman and a golf club whacking people in the shins...

Back