4 New Filters Cut Open

Great cut and posts. My choices are #1: Donaldson and #2: Endurance. Other two I wouldn’t use.

Thank You
The Endurance & Amsoil are the same filter. This particular Amsoil filter had sloppy glue & slightly less media by one pleat. I’d venture a guess that if I did 10 of each they’d average out to even.

The Endurance & Amsoil are the same filter. This particular Amsoil filter had sloppy glue & slightly less media by one pleat. I’d venture a guess that if I did 10 of each they’d average out to even.

I can’t disagree but from what I learned from chatting with OVERKILL; Donaldson gets my vote. When I hit 10k I’ll flip a quarter and decide to chop it or run it 15k or….

I can’t disagree but from what I learned from chatting with OVERKILL; Donaldson gets my vote. When I hit 10k I’ll flip a quarter and decide to chop it or run it 15k or….
I’ve previously stated that I’m also a fan of the Donaldson synthetic media. Big fan actually. I’m not a fan of the ADBV in this filter & the core shift/warpage wasn’t great either but likely won’t impact filtering. It’s also rated at 17 micron instead of 20.

Donaldson synthetic filters saved me a bunch of headaches at a former power plant I worked at. Was all in on the Amsoil filters when they had the contract with Donaldson for sole automotive usage of that media. Wish they would have kept that going.

So I was curious about a couple different filters. Had heard good things about the Fram Titanium at AAP so picked up a couple 3614’s. Also grabbed a couple Donaldson P551132’s for the same application due to being a fan of their Synteq media from my power plant days.

Before cutting anything I did the old ADBV “blow” test. Hands down the Fram Ti won that. No matter how hard I tried to blow through the exit port, that thing sealed right up. Worst was the Donaldson. You’ll see why during the pics but the entire inner filter assembly was warped. I’m sure this is what was causing the massive leak by. The Fram Endurance & Amsoil both had what I would call minor leak by. Not a perfect seal but not a drastic amount that I could blow through either.

Also, I apologize for the messy work space & cramped area. I’m working on the Bronco & it’s not mobile right now. It’s pretty much in the way of my bench & storage area so things are starting to pile up as other projects are worked on.

On to the pics & media measurement:

View attachment 227525

Donaldson:

48 pleats plus the crimp
42.5” long
1.5” width between caps

View attachment 227526
View attachment 227527
View attachment 227528
View attachment 227529
View attachment 227530
View attachment 227531

Fram Ti

47 + crimp
1.7/8” width
54” long

View attachment 227532
View attachment 227533
View attachment 227534
The Fram Ti center section literally fell apart. There was hardly any glue holding the media to the bottom cap and the tube and lower cap even wiggled prior to cutting. Also noticed no more pink OG media or wire backing. This one was 51st day of 2023 construction.

I’ll need to continue in next post
Another fail from fram on the ultra/titanium. Not even surprising anymore.

Thank you for the contribution to BITOG!!! Without all of us doing c&p’s we’d be blindly making filter decisions.

The new style ultra/titanium have been a no go for me period. I’ve also noticed the Endurance/Amsoil getting sloppy. My biggest concern has been the threads. The sloppy glue is a sign of bad craftsmanship but probably doesn’t effect performance. I’d use only after close inspection. Donaldson looks great but I don’t think they fit my applications.

Luckily I can still get OG titaniums for my vehicles. PG is still killing it on quality control and are my second choice.

Thank you for the contribution to BITOG!!! Without all of us doing c&p’s we’d be blindly making filter decisions.

The new style ultra/titanium have been a no go for me period. I’ve also noticed the Endurance/Amsoil getting sloppy. My biggest concern has been the threads. The sloppy glue is a sign of bad craftsmanship but probably doesn’t effect performance. I’d use only after close inspection. Donaldson looks great but I don’t think they fit my applications.

Luckily I can still get OG titaniums for my vehicles. PG is still killing it on quality control and are my second choice.
My main complaint with the Donaldson is the ADBV not sealing, at all. Once I finish this cup of coffee & walk the dog, I’ll go take a look at the remaining Donaldson to see if it seals better. From what @Mewbs has stated, it sounds like it might be a poor ADBV. Wish it was a silicone one with better fitment.

Just got back from walking my dog. Decided to go ahead and check the second Donaldson for ADBV sealing. Well, it’s just as bad as the first one. Didn’t cut it open.

Also checked the second Fram Ti. It sealed up perfectly, just like the first. Was still curious about the lack of glue holding the first one together so decided to cut it open. This one did have additional glue holding it together but had another major issue. I’ll show below:

Both backup filter after checking ADBV seal but prior to cutting:

1719759570911.jpeg

After cutting Fram Ti, while removing media it separated at this pleat with almost zero effort. Zooming in, it looks as though it was only fully attached at the top of the media & the cellulose had severely weakened at the fold. I have serious doubts this media wouldn’t have allowed unfiltered oil to leak by.

1719759831791.jpeg

Additional glue seen at base of center tube that the original lacked:

1719759897827.jpeg

Still a bit shy on the adhesive for all of the media to end cap though:

1719759967946.jpeg

Final pic of second Fram Ti minus the can:

1719760044751.jpeg

If Donaldson would use this base plate and ADBV from the Fram Ti, or the bypass, base plate & ADBV from a Motorcraft filter, it would be the best filter on the market & likely by a wide margin.

Just got back from walking my dog. Decided to go ahead and check the second Donaldson for ADBV sealing. Well, it’s just as bad as the first one. Didn’t cut it open.

Also checked the second Fram Ti. It sealed up perfectly, just like the first. Was still curious about the lack of glue holding the first one together so decided to cut it open. This one did have additional glue holding it together but had another major issue. I’ll show below:

Both backup filter after checking ADBV seal but prior to cutting:

View attachment 227686

After cutting Fram Ti, while removing media it separated at this pleat with almost zero effort. Zooming in, it looks as though it was only fully attached at the top of the media & the cellulose had severely weakened at the fold. I have serious doubts this media wouldn’t have allowed unfiltered oil to leak by.

View attachment 227687

Additional glue seen at base of center tube that the original lacked:

View attachment 227688

Still a bit shy on the adhesive for all of the media to end cap though:

View attachment 227689

Final pic of second Fram Ti minus the can:

View attachment 227690

If Donaldson would use this base plate and ADBV from the Fram Ti, or the bypass, base plate & ADBV from a Motorcraft filter, it would be the best filter on the market & likely by a wide margin.
Xerox called and wants their paper back - been saying the same thing about the XG’s …

They were the least expensive of this bunch at $10/ea
They're cheaper in cases of 12, about 6 dollars a piece, making them a good option if high efficiency short term filtration is good enough.
The ADBV cooks itself open probably influencing leakdown. But so far I haven't had problems yet. 1/2 second of oil pressure delay might not be a big deal on ignition as it disspears right before the RPM needle hits 2000 before dipping down on idle after a cold start.

Anyways, guess here if you look carefully there are spot weld dimples on the back of the baseplate, you can see the ADBV radial seat mark that overlaps it. Seems to me there has been a design oversight. But since oil filters usually go through ADBV testing it must have passed the test or met a minimum leak down spec.

1719774578998.jpg

They're cheaper in cases of 12, about 6 dollars a piece, making them a good option if high efficiency short term filtration is good enough.
The ADBV cooks itself open probably influencing leakdown. But so far I haven't had problems yet. 1/2 second of oil pressure delay might not be a big deal on ignition as it disspears right before the RPM needle hits 2000 before dipping down on idle after a cold start.

Anyways, guess here if you look carefully there are spot weld dimples on the back of the baseplate, you can see the ADBV radial seat mark that overlaps it. Seems to me there has been a design oversight. But since oil filters usually go through ADBV testing it must have passed the test or met a minimum leak down spec.

View attachment 227713
What perfect little leakage points.

Here’s the one I cut open:

1719776399811.jpeg

1719776419654.jpeg

But since oil filters usually go through ADBV testing it must have passed the test or met a minimum leak down spec.

1719774578998.jpg
Hard to say if filters are re-ran through a test like the ADBV leak down test when a slight design change is made. That does look like a design oversight, leading to leakage past the ADBV.

I just left a message with Donaldson about the ADBV sealing issue. Couldn’t attach photos to the form but requested an engineer or technician respond if they wish to see the issue.

I just left a message with Donaldson about the ADBV sealing issue. Couldn’t attach photos to the form but requested an engineer or technician respond if they wish to see the issue.
Thank you, keep us updated! Would be nice to have a Donaldson rep here on the forums. Though it boggles me they are not into the light duty market since Amsoil OEM days.

Back