4 Months of Storage - List of Possible Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so my beloved Eclipse will be coming out of four months of storage in just 2 more weeks! This was stored in my garage in Massachusetts. I've assembled a check list of things that may need to be checked over or 'fixed'.

__ Decreased tire pressure/flat spots on tires
__ Fuel degradation (fuel was topped off)
__ Battery sulfation
__ Excessive moisture in crankcase

I know I left a few things out, so please add anything that I should be thinking about, thanks!

Last edited:
How many months you think it was on the dealers lot before you bought it?

4-months is not a long time for me.

A year ago when I pulled my winter car out from 5 months storage the clutch hydraulics immediately blew. Clutch line and slave cylinder. Old beater that has been through many canadian winters

I wouldn't worry much over something sitting for 4 months. Check all fluids and tire pressure. Otherwise, if it cranks up... it'll be good to go.

Before you store it again:

Add some Sta-Bil to the gas and top it off

Inflate the tires to 45psi to prevent flat spots

If you have access to electricity, hook up a trickle charger

Change the oil

But 4 months really isn't very long. I bought a 91 S10 that had been in a garage for 3 years and it only had flat spotted tires. You're good to go.

I agree with others. 4 months is nothing to worry about. The only issue is the battery. I would trickle charge it for two days before starting the car.

Put some mothballs inside to discourage mice from setting up home and I would put a charger on after 2 months and again before starting.

Thanks for the advice guys.

My main concern is battery acid sulfation...I know the battery will be severely discharged and I certainly will charge it. Ya think it is still resusitate-able after four months?

For what it's worth, the car is kept in a cold Massachusetts garage, and I do know sulfation favors warm temperatures so maybe the cool climate helps.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I would trickle charge it for two days before starting the car.

I will repeat what brianl703 said in another thread. You want a regulated trickle charger not an unregulated one which increases as the demand drops.

If you filled the tank, the fuel will be fine. Contrary to popular belief gas can be stored for up to one year if done properly.

From the Chevron web site: "Chevron gasoline can be stored for a year without deterioration when the storage conditions are good -- a tightly closed container, moderate temperatures, and out of direct sunlight."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back