4-cycle engine and 50:1

Winterization of OPE will be upon us soon.. well maybe not so much for others.. 😉

I have been using either the Aspen2 50:1 alkylate fuels or the VP 40:1 in my small OPE for the first time this summer. I liked the performance and the peace of mind of clean fuels.

I understand one of the benefits is that you can leave this fuel over winter without any worry.

I have a Husq YTH lawn tractor with a Kholer KT735, I was thinking of draining all the fuel [ i use 91oct E0 ] and adding the little I have left of the 50:1 and run a bit and shut down for winter..

Bad idea..???

Cheers

J.

I have run 32 to 1 in my push type lawn mower when I was too lazy to get gas it worked fine.

I think that it would be a good idea for the extra lubrication.
Back years ago when racing two stroke snowmobiles with oil injection, we would routinely add some two cycle oil in the gas.

Yes use mix with alkylate fuel just before you winterize your OPE
ok just to confirm.. the alkylate is pre-mix 50:1 I am not planing to add additional 2-cycle oil...

I am wanting to get a consensus if running a 50:1 fuel in a 4 cycle engine has any negative outcomes..
Thx :)

I do it at the end of every season. Leftover 2 stroke oil goes into the riding mower. No issues. Plugs are still great when I pull them. If it weren't for the cost, you could probably run 50:1 in all your 4 stroke OPE and never notice a change at all.

No problem with TruFuel. Go ahead and run it. 2-cycle oil mixed in the gas will not harm a 4-cycle engine. Excessive amounts of oil may leave behind some carbon or foul the spark plug eventually, but normal mix ratios should be fine.

Before catalytic converters I used to run TC-W at 100 to 150 to one to one in all my cars without issues. Mixed with TE lead made nice white tailpipe inside coating.

Rod

Interesting. Any leftover 2 cycle mix will be going in my lawnmower. I use Amsoil Saber at 80:1 or so in my sthil.

Last edited:
Done....!! all OPE and the lawn tractor has been winterized..
I used all of my VP and Aspen2, 2-cycle fuels for the WWacker, the Lawnboy [circa 1979] and for the Husq tractor...
the chain saw has been running all summer on the Aspen fuel.
I must say i liked the way the tractor ran on that fuel... !!??!

Yesterday I added .5 oz of saber to my briggs gas tank. Ran for a minute and died with a puff of smoke out of the exhaust. Could of I added too much? Even with starting fluid it wouldn’t run. The plug wasn’t fouled or anything.

Not quite sure what -sabre- is.. :-/
Lets assume its 2-cycle oil... 1st question was the gas tank full..?? .5 oz seems rather rich... although it should fire...
if the gas tank was less than full... i would drain it... add fresh gas and try again

Not quite sure what -sabre- is.. :-/
Lets assume its 2-cycle oil... 1st question was the gas tank full..?? .5 oz seems rather rich... although it should fire...
if the gas tank was less than full... i would drain it... add fresh gas and try again
Amsoil Saber is a 2 cycle oil. It was half full when I added the oil then topped off the tank with gas. I was going to try draining the tank and try again.

Amsoil Saber is a 2 cycle oil. It was half full when I added the oil then topped off the tank with gas. I was going to try draining the tank and try again.

That's a lot, not sure why you added that much to 1/2 tank of fuel. That's like 26:1 , for a 4 cycle?
I use 650:1 which is 1oz to 5 gallons. I do this only for the last tank of the season for winter storage . I run it through each engine at the last use.

also came mind afterwards...
perhaps.. the oil went straight to the bottom of the gas tank and never fully mixed in the gas.. even if you topped it up.
so it could have been trying to run on a real heavy oil concentration..

50:1 in a 4-stroke seems a bit strong, although I've never tried it. Probably would be OK in most OPE as long as the spark plug is checked often and changed when necessary.
I do use TC-W3 at 500:1 (plus blue Sta-Bil at 500:1) in all my 4-stroke OPE, every tank. Been doing this for about a decade. Never had a reason to go stronger, as my mix does what I want it to do: keeps fuel from going bad, keeps small engines running well for a long time, doesn't foul spark plugs.

Back