4.5 bolt wheel on 4.52 car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the wisdom and opinions.

Since it was a rainy day in these parts and I couldn't really work outside, I went ahead and swapped the "Primewells" onto the factory wheels that came with the '95 Olds, (the 4.52 aka, 115 mm).

After pondering all the wisdom shared, I figured that was easier and quicker than grinding the bolt holes out.

So now it has two good "Primewell" brand 195/70/14's (made in 0909) on the front and the old 185/75/14 still on the back which were made in 2006.

Of the four that came off, I put the better two on the back, but their days are definitely numbered.

I still have four "bouncy" "Douglas" brand tires that came off the "Bluesmobile."

I'm tempted . . . . I'm really tempted . . . .

I also have one 185/60/14 "Cooper" brand that was given to me that looks pretty good. It's just so small. Perhaps that's another post.

It's either that - or another trip to the junkyard. I wonder if they're open Christmas day?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Sorry, but, No, that does not work.

Ya' see, the wheels have a tapered seat that exactly fits the lugnut's taper. (Yes, there are exceptions, but this is not one of them!) If the lugnut isn't properly seated, it will wear the seat oblong.

Not to mention the difficulty in getting the wheel centered on the hub.

I'm with CR on this. Glad to hear you didn't do it. I've seen it far too many times. The lugnuts won't seat correctly, the holes will wear badly, the wheel will not center, the studs will bend and the car will shake at speed.

Of course you could go ahead and pre-damage the bolt holes by making them oblong. This has the advantage of being impossible to get right and weakening the structure that holds the wheels on the car while still causing all the same problems. That would be awesome.

I'm kidding. Don't do that.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back