3rd party maps for Garmin devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Open Street Maps on my older Garmin devices.

I needed Italy for a trip back in 2012 and OSM had me covered. I just D/L'ed the maps and put them on an SD card for my Garmin LM50.

Did similar by purchasing and older Garmin, getting updated US Maps to give my oldest daughter a GPS for her move to Seattle.

I have no complaints about OSM maps on my Garmin devices.

Edited to add, I now have an Android head unit in my car, so I use OSMAND+ and / or Sygic

I can D/L maps and keep them on the SD card in the unit, so I don't need to have data during the drive.

Last edited:
I'm surprised people still buy GPS units. I use Google Maps any time I need directions. Most notably when I was in NYC and D.C. last summer trying to figure out how to get around town. Maps even shows you where to get on the subways and what time they leave. Garmin can't keep up with that, especially it being free.

I save cell data and it works in the middle of nowhere by using a GPS that I already have. Open Street Maps is cool-- got the wife Canadian maps for a trip up there.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I'm surprised people still buy GPS units. I use Google Maps any time I need directions. Most notably when I was in NYC and D.C. last summer trying to figure out how to get around town. Maps even shows you where to get on the subways and what time they leave. Garmin can't keep up with that, especially it being free.

I'm the same way. Don't even know where my Garmin GPS is. Obsolete technology.

Try using Google Maps when you're in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Try using Google Maps when you're in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage
wink.gif

Exactly, i keep a garmin gps in the avalanche just in case.

I have paper maps to back my GPS up. I have the phone maps (Waze, Google), but I really need a back-up option. if you drive a lot, you may need them all. I also like older maps with roads that are still there, but no more on modern maps. Comes very handy during road trips in remote trips. Paper maps are the best: you use your eyes and brain more with those.

As long as you download the maps for offline use, you can still use your phone. We did that the past two summers when going to places like Yellowstone, RMNP, Acadia, and so on.

But I still have my Garmin that I bought back in 2012.

When travelling overseas, one doesn't always have cellular data, or it's not cheap. So having offline maps makes sense.

Originally Posted by Reddy45

wink.gif

You clearly never go off the beaten path...get out there and explore! Phones are only good when you are near people...yuck!

Originally Posted by DriveHard

You clearly never go off the beaten path...get out there and explore! Phones are only good when you are near people...yuck!

I have yet to use Verizon anywhere that I have lost signal. Even out in rural western Kansas pheasant hunting miles from the main highway. I deer hunt a lot too. 15 miles from town and a few miles from the highway, still have signal. The only time I have never had signal with Verizon is when I went far up into the Colorado mountains like 7 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back