Lifetime Maps - Magellan GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

JFYI:

===============
Thank you for contacting Magellan Technical Support.

As I understand, you are having difficulties updating the map of your Magellan RoadMate 1700-LM. We apologize for the inconvenience. Not to worry, I''ll be happy to assist you.

We regret to inform you that, upon checking our system, it shows that the first fix date of your device was January 09, 2012. This is probably the reason why there is no longer free update available for your device.

For more information about our lifetime free map update terms and conditions, please visit the link below.
http://service.magellangps.com/M0100/DownLoad_Faq_131823_America MAGELLAN_English Magellan.html

We suggest purchasing a brand-new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. You may visit our online store for more details. You may click on the link below:
https://www.magellangps.com/store/

We are truly grateful for your support with our Magellan product through the years.

If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact us. We’ll be more than happy to assist you.

For more information about our products, you may visit our website:
www.magellangps.com

For Downloads and Frequently Ask Questions:
http://service.magellangps.com/

Regards,

Hazel
Magellan Technical Support

" lifetime refers to the useful lifetime of the device, considered to be 3 (three) years from the date of manufacture."

Okaayyy. Well they do put it in print, but does seem like 'somewhat' of a scam type definition. Don't like to throw that word around without due consideration. Good to know.

Otoh, I own two older Garmin GPSs, one really old, both with lifetime maps. Both still update maps.

"Lifetime" Maps!
I haven't tried to update my TomTom in a while, but last time I did it I have to choose between Eastern and Western USA due to memory limitations. Definitely updated it more than once after it was 3 years old.
It also came with traffic for life, but it seems to me it is becoming less and less useful...I think more drivers use their phones and there are fewer cars with TomToms from which to collect traffic data. I am going to need to switch to an unlimited data plan if I end up using a phone for nav, we tend to scrape by at 10Gig and I had to pay for a 1Gig overage last month that I think was caused by spotty WiFi operation at our hotel on a family trip as well as asking my daughter to do some backup nav work for us on the drives there and back when I didn't quite trust what our two GPS devices were saying.

The GPS in my vehicle has never had a map update, it is stored on an SD card (!!!!!!?????) and it is a nightmare to get an updated card. I think Subaru updated to a less ridiculous system for the '16 model year.

Last edited:
Just like other companies they reneged on the promise of Life time. As long as that device is working they should be supplying you with down loads. Just remember Magellan isn't the only GPS company out there and then kindly remember to write them when you replace your Magellan with an new maker.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Just like other companies they reneged on the promise of Life time. As long as that device is working they should be supplying you with down loads.
Of course you realize that the user agreed to the terms and conditions when they signed up.
And now you're trying to establish definitions?!?

What a joke!!!

I'd write them back and tell them you will report this to your State Div. of Consumer Affairs and the same for the Federal Government since they trade in every State, plus the USPS Postal Inspector because they ship through the mail.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I'd write them back and tell them you will report this to your State Div. of Consumer Affairs and the same for the Federal Government since they trade in every State, plus the USPS Postal Inspector because they ship through the mail.

That would be equivalent to threatening to tell your mom.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648

That would be equivalent to threatening to tell your mom.

Very true.
And besides, what would you say?
'Hey, Magellan is abiding by their terms and conditions!?!?'

I think the OP and a few commenters think they are the ones that define the agreement terms and conditions. Unfortunately this isn't true. Most sellers will only allow you the agree to their terms with no negotiations.
If you don't like the terms, don't buy the product.

Agreeing and then complaining is lackadasical at best and lazy at worst because you should have done your homework in the first place.

Utter rubbish. No where on the box or in the Amazon ad for my GPS does it mention a 3 year limitation. To make matters worse, according to that link it's 3 years from MFG date not purchase date. They are still selling a refurb version mine with the "lifetime maps".

my tomtom also has 4GB of memory.. and the USA maps were around 4.5GB last time I checked.

I just picked Eastern US IIRC.

maybe you have a similar option?

Just another reason why google maps on a phone work just fine. you can even predownload areas so you wont need internet unless you want real time traffic etc.

Maybe send it and a note explaining the situation to the Hydraulic Press Channel.
Ask them to read the note before pressing the button, as they make a YouTube video of the whole thing.
Email: [email protected]

Originally Posted By: 1000MPH
Utter rubbish. No where on the box or in the Amazon ad for my GPS does it mention a 3 year limitation. To make matters worse, according to that link it's 3 years from MFG date not purchase date. They are still selling a refurb version mine with the "lifetime maps".

Welcome to the 21st century!

I have both a Garmin Nuvi 250 and a Magellan 5045-LM - both are several years old.

I bought the lifetime map upgrade package for the Garmin and I regularly get map updates. It's been years since Magellan gave me a map or software update even though it has "lifetime" in its name.

I now mainly use the Magellan as a metric speedometer and don't rely on its navigation abilities. Even on roads that have not changed in decades, it often gives me screwy routings and its ETAs are often wildly inaccurate. Before I go on any trips with it, I always check with Google Maps first and commit that routing to memory.

Another disappointing thing with the Magellan is its lack of trip data functionality. For example, if I need to check the calibration of my odometer, I can easily use the Garmin's trip odometer.

What you thought that I had thought was wrong, as I never complained in my initial post, simply was sharing to prevent others from becoming marks of this con art. And check your spelling of 'lackadaisical'

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
my 2007 garmin with lifetime maps is still being a good GPS
As is my older Garmin Nuvi. It use to have memory problems that only allowed partial maps but they changed the program to allow the added memory card to hold the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back