3rd oil change, noticed something different....

What I'm impressed with is that someone can make a definitive prediction of future performance based on a spectrographic analysis.
After barely no new test results From these people they change there format and spent a lot of money at no gain. Someone's kid or a friend of a friend needed a job. They need to go back to the old format which gave you a much better comparison where their product sat compared to peers.

My Accord doesn't "like" the current PP. Via analyses they drastically cut the moly. Went from over 200+ppm down to maybe 50? I switched over to Magnatec and she loves it!! Since Magnatec has been discontinued, hopefully the Edge BB I bought will be just as satisfactory.

Edge was basically making Magnatec a questionable choice anyways.

I just switched to a Fram XG (Ultra) filter yesterday and I believe there is something to this.

Maybe the filter is ensuring maximum flow and thus leaving the oils to interact with the metals in their own unique ways.. someone get in here and slap me lol.

I just switched to a Fram XG (Ultra) filter yesterday and I believe there is something to this.

Maybe the filter is ensuring maximum flow and thus leaving the oils to interact with the metals in their own unique ways.. someone get in here and slap me lol.
Sigh…..

Positive……..displacement……..pump.

I have noticed that some oils are “louder” than others. Does it matter? Probably not, but with all things being equal, I’ll chose the quieter oil. But I definitely think that new oil is quieter than old, and I also notice a slight uptick in fuel economy for a week or two with new oil. Then that goes away🤷🏻‍♂️
I notice the opposite. There is a slight downtick in fuel economy for a week or two with new oil. I've charted MPG on every vehicle I've had for nearly 50 years. The thing is, we're both correct in what we think we see, but neither of us can REALLY tell because there are so many variables to take into account that are not oil-related. Despite what my charts show...it just isn't scientific information.

That's it. I'm going to buy the equipment to record and analyze the volume and frequencies of the sounds being produced by my engines and do recordings at the beginning and end of every OCI. I'll start by getting the data on new oil, then again after it's depleted, then right after that get the new oil, then repeat. I'll keep the mileage on the oil as exact as I can between OCIs and I'll do it for at least 4 different vehicles. The recordings will be done in the same spot, from the same distance and orientation compared to the vehicle. I'm serious. I'm so tired of this debate that no one ever has any actually data for other than "Trust me, I know what I'm hearing."

VU meter.gif

I notice the opposite. There is a slight downtick in fuel economy for a week or two with new oil. I've charted MPG on every vehicle I've had for nearly 50 years. The thing is, we're both correct in what we think we see, but neither of us can REALLY tell because there are so many variables to take into account that are not oil-related. Despite what my charts show...it just isn't scientific information.

been running pennzoil platinum 5w30 in my 2021 ranger xlt. 2.3l ecoboost turbo. I drained the factory fill at 1k. I change every 4-6k.

getting ready to do my 3rd change and walmart was out of most oil except for mobil 1 synthetic . luckily they had 5w30. I figured why not. so I looked for my 910s filter and they didn't have it either. so I grabbed the only one they had for my truck, fram ultra xg3641 rated for 20k miles.

a funny thing happened after I changed oil. my truck became more quiet. ran more smooth than it ever has. what in the world did M1 do differently than my trusty PP didn't? I've used pennzoil for 30yrs. before any of you say its all in my head, I assure you it isn't. there is a very noticeable difference in the way my truck sounds and runs.

how good or bad are the fram ultra synthetic xg filters? I've heard horror stories about fram, but that's been ages ago. this is my first fram. I'm a little nervous about it but this particular xg series has very good reviews.

I have also used Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for years and then switched to Mobil 1 ESP. I also noticed the same thing you did, and 2000 miles into this OCI I am so glad.

I went from Valvoline synthetic blend Max life, to Kirkland full synthetic, and noticed a difference immediately.. it seemed like quicker acceleration, better fuel mileage, the engine was quieter...🤷🏻‍♂️ I will be doing an oil change this week using M1

I went from Valvoline synthetic blend Max life, to Kirkland full synthetic, and noticed a difference immediately.. it seemed like quicker acceleration, better fuel mileage, the engine was quieter...🤷🏻‍♂️ I will be doing an oil change this week using M1
That's quite the placebo effect. JK Recently went thru the grief of trying to tell the "Last Minutia" folks that is was an obsevation not a measurement. Good Luck

Edge black 5W20 = worst oil I have ever run. Just ran it. UOA on here. Same result in 2005 in a Suzuki Aerio. Different formulation.

Magnatec FS = pretty good stuff, Magnatec SS- Stunningly good.

Neither engine was worn in yet, so maybe on a clean engine well worn Edge BB would do OK.

Edge black 5W20 = worst oil I have ever run. Just ran it. UOA on here. Same result in 2005 in a Suzuki Aerio. Different formulation.

Magnatec FS = pretty good stuff, Magnatec SS- Stunningly good.

Neither engine was worn in yet, so maybe on a clean engine well worn Edge BB would do OK.

Only Edge I ever ran was a 0W-40.. seemed to do pretty well.

The eternal question (for me) of 5W-30 vs 0W-40 remains. People seem to like Edge (?? general statement.) I forget the whole Gold vs Black bottle thing.

Asking myself if a 20 grade is worth it anymore.. if it says to use it, I probably would...

Even the orange cans are fine, people have been using Fram orange cans for decades without a problem. I'd rather an orange can than a cheap paper champ or ecogard, at least the orange can will actually filter the oil.
Yup, i've never had an issue with the orange 9688. But now that they're virtually the same price as the XG (PH9688 vs XG9688), i will buy the XG if buying FRAM.

Only Edge I ever ran was a 0W-40.. seemed to do pretty well.

The eternal question (for me) of 5W-30 vs 0W-40 remains. People seem to like Edge (?? general statement.) I forget the whole Gold vs Black bottle thing.

Asking myself if a 20 grade is worth it anymore.. if it says to use it, I probably would...
Castrol 0W-40 BMW, MB, VAG is a high level approval product v. ILSAC

Back