3rd oil change, noticed something different....

My 3.5 ecoboost does not like pp. My engine just drinks up PP, about half a quart/3-4k miles. I've tried 5w20 and 5w30. My engine eats both PP oils, about half a quart/3-4k miles.

Mobil 1 EP 0w20 seems to be the best for my engine. Does not eat ANY oil, and the level stays exactly the same even after 5k miles. Also, PP is noticably louder. I've had this car for 12 years, so I can really tell the noise difference with different oils.

Mobil 1 EP 0w20 is quiet in my engine, and the oil stays at the same level.

If I were you, I would probably use Mobil 1 EP over PP.

And yes, 0w20 was not a typo. I do use 0w20 in my 3.5 ecoboost in South Carolina. It gets really hot in the summer, and Ive been using 0w20 year around. Works perfect and does not burn any oil. Car has 100k miles, and the engine had absolutely zero visible wear inside at 85k miles. The turbo is fine too.

just switched to a Fram XG (Ultra) filter yesterday and I believe there is something to this.
Agreed, startup rattle completely gone with Fram Ultra, it's a FPS (Fram Pro Series) nos Probably the silicone adbv. With Toyota filters I usually always have startup noise, nitrile. Totally gone with a top of the line Fram. Since Tough Guard also has a silicone adbv, I'll see if that theory holds up

I will pose the unpopular opinion.

The change in noise level is likely due to the filter. Independent testing shows this filter to have an absolute filtration of at least 15 microns, and it has significantly less flow restriction than most competitive synthetic filters, much less a typical cellulose filter.

New oil can and will make some minor differences, but I suspect the result would be similar regardless of which “shelf” brand you use.

I will pose the unpopular opinion.

The change in noise level is likely due to the filter. Independent testing shows this filter to have an absolute filtration of at least 15 microns, and it has significantly less flow restriction than most competitive synthetic filters, much less a typical cellulose filter.
Are you implying that the more restictive oil filter is causing less oil flow to the engine and therefore more engine noise? If so, it's not unless the oil pump is completely shot.

Are you implying that the more restictive oil filter is causing less oil flow to the engine and therefore more engine noise? If so, it's not unless the oil pump is completely shot.
I am implying that the filter has a lower restriction by about 50%. That’s a huge difference in load. It’s about 15% better than a competitive filter like Champion Labs M1/RP filters. That’s a huge difference. Many of these modern engines have a “just enough” oil philosophy at idle. That difference in flow may very well make a significant difference in noise at idle in some applications.
Hemi engines in particular may be quiet with a new Mopar filter, and start ticking as the filter loses flow at 2-3K. Regardless of using Red Line/AMSOIL/etc. The Fram filter will remain quiet over the interval.

The ONLY plausible explanation is that the oil flow at idle has been reduced so greatly to improve efficiency, that the additional flow rate from the reduced restriction is the difference.

My Maverick Hybrid is noticeably quieter with the Mobil 1 than the FoMoCo Factory fill. Mostly less rattily in the higher frequencies.

I am implying that the filter has a lower restriction by about 50%. That’s a huge difference in load. It’s about 15% better than a competitive filter like Champion Labs M1/RP filters. That’s a huge difference. Many of these modern engines have a “just enough” oil philosophy at idle. That difference in flow may very well make a significant difference in noise at idle in some applications.
Hemi engines in particular may be quiet with a new Mopar filter, and start ticking as the filter loses flow at 2-3K. Regardless of using Red Line/AMSOIL/etc. The Fram filter will remain quiet over the interval.

The ONLY plausible explanation is that the oil flow at idle has been reduced so greatly to improve efficiency, that the additional flow rate from the reduced restriction is the difference.
The oiling system in an engine isn't like the plumbing system in your house where a more restrictive filter reduces water flow. An oil filter delta-p at engine idle will only be about 1-2 psi, virtually nothing. The oiling system is about 15 times more flow restrictive than any new oil filter.

A positive displacement oil pump is going to force the same oil flow volume through every new oil filter at idle when the pump isn't anywhere near pressure relief, and of course if the pump isn't shot. The PD is so misunderstood by many.

Last edited:

The oiling system in an engine isn't like the plumbing system in your house, where a more restrictive water filter will reduce the water flow volume. Pretty much every decent (ie, big brand name made) new oil filter will only have 1-2 psi of delta-p at engine idle speed with hot oil. The oiling system is typically 15 times more restrictive than the oil filter. The oil pump and engine will never tell the difference in oil filters unless the PD pump is in pressure relief, which takes a lot of high RPM with cold oil. And even then, when some oil volume is cut back due to pump relief, there's still a lot of oil flow volume making it to the oiling system.

A positive displacement oil pump is going to force the same oil flow volume through every new oil filter and the oiling system at idle when the pump isn't anywhere near pressure relief, and if the pump isn't shot . The PD is so misunderstood.

Last edited:
The oiling system in an engine isn't like the plumbing system in your house, where a more restrictive water filter will reduce the water flow volume. Pretty much every decent (ie, big brand name made) new oil filter will only have 1-2 psi of delta-p at engine idle speed with hot oil. The oiling system is typically 15 times more restrictive than the oil filter. The oil pump and engine will never tell the difference in oil filters unless the PD pump is in pressure relief, which takes a lot of high RPM with cold oil. And even then, when some oil volume is cut back due to pump relief, there's still a lot of oil flow volume making it to the oiling system.

A positive displacement oil pump is going to force the same oil flow volume through every new oil filter and the oiling system at idle when the pump isn't anywhere near pressure relief, and if the pump isn't shot . The PD is so misunderstood.
What is the difference at cold idle? Keep in mind that when someone says they “hear” a significant difference - this is occurring typically right after startup, after an oil change…

I want to say a current Hemi has ~7 psi at idle, hot. The difference in 1 or 2 psi is big! 15% of the overall flow!

The water filter in the house is installed at the tap, after the primary restriction (pipe size has already been reduced, and so the result is very drastic).

In most engines, you are still on the “Primary” side. But where in my 90s engine, the passage has about 2.5x the volume of the secondary feeds, some of these new engines aren’t sporting near as much differential either.

I might say the noise difference was attributable to a thicker viscosity of oil, as it’s new - but oxidative thickening would likely prove otherwise. I might have told you that the additive differences in Red Line Oil eliminate the so-called Hemi tick - but it comes back after 2-3K with a Mopar filter - while it remains gone for the 7500 mile intervals with the Fram, using the same oil…

So somehow, the filter is making the difference… another primary difference between them is that the capacity is much higher on the Fram as well, meaning the differential pressure is not only 50% higher to start, it increases to a significantly higher percentage improvement over time!

I have seen first hand, that with many of these new pumps, it may see 7 psi at idle (650 RPM), and by 900 RPM, it will ramp to 40-45 psi… I honestly think they have dialed them down to a point where flow at idle is a significant issue…

What is the difference at cold idle? Keep in mind that when someone says they “hear” a significant difference - this is occurring typically right after startup, after an oil change…
Maybe it's because the oil filter's ADBV isn't doing its job and allowing the oiling system galleries to drain out, which can cause engine noise for a short time after a cold start-up.

I want to say a current Hemi has ~7 psi at idle, hot. The difference in 1 or 2 psi is big! 15% of the overall flow!
Is ~7 psi within the normal operating temperature for that engine? Sounds like a variable displacement pump, or a pump that is designed to regulate to a set oil pressure vs engine RPM. These are still PD oil pumps, but the pump is regulating by computer control the actual pressure with some kind of oil pressure sensor, then it still wouldn't matter what the restriction of the filter is because if the filter had 1 or 2 psi more of flow delta-p (restriction), then the computer would still try to maintain the set-point oil pressure at the feedback sensor.

The water filter in the house is installed at the tap, after the primary restriction (pipe size has already been reduced, and so the result is very drastic).

In most engines, you are still on the “Primary” side. But where in my 90s engine, the passage has about 2.5x the volume of the secondary feeds, some of these new engines aren’t sporting near as much differential either.
It doesn't matter where the filter is located, because in a hydraulic system that is feed/supplied by a constant pressure source (like the plumbing system in your house), if the filter becomes flow restrictive (ie, clogged up), the flow volume will decrease. But in an engine oiling system with a non-variable PD oil pump, the system is never in a fixed pressure feed/supplied mode until the PD is in pressure relief. The only way an engine oiling system could make the PD pump hit pressure relief at idle or low RPM is if the filter is basically completely clogged and the filter is in bypass with a very small bypass opening. Highly doubt that's happening in any situation where there is a new oil filter installed.

In an engine with a variable flow/variable pressure oil pump system, the specific oiling system needs to be totally understood before any accuate assertations can be concluded on what's going on, and what's causing what. Does the factory shop manual outline the details of how the variable oil pump is controlled? Does it actually use the oil pressure sensor as feedback to control the pump?

I might say the noise difference was attributable to a thicker viscosity of oil, as it’s new - but oxidative thickening would likely prove otherwise. I might have told you that the additive differences in Red Line Oil eliminate the so-called Hemi tick - but it comes back after 2-3K with a Mopar filter - while it remains gone for the 7500 mile intervals with the Fram, using the same oil…

So somehow, the filter is making the difference… another primary difference between them is that the capacity is much higher on the Fram as well, meaning the differential pressure is not only 50% higher to start, it increases to a significantly higher percentage improvement over time!
The holding capacity and how the filter performs in flow performance (the "flow vs delta-p" curve) are not necessarily related. The Fram Ultra for instance has a very high holding capacity, yet it flows very well even as it gets loaded up with debris. Maybe that Hemi oil filter loads up really fast and isn't really good for anything above a 5K of use.

I have seen first hand, that with many of these new pumps, it may see 7 psi at idle (650 RPM), and by 900 RPM, it will ramp to 40-45 psi… I honestly think they have dialed them down to a point where flow at idle is a significant issue…
Yeah, I'd say if a variable flow PD oil pump is only supplying 7 psi at hot idle, that seems like the engineers are cutting it down too far IMO. Where is the oil pressure sensor located on this engine? I'd guess it's located after the oil filter like most engines are.

But the fact still remains that if the pump is not in relief at that low oil pressure condition, the oil flow volume will not change depending on what oil filter is used. That is the whole key to an oiling system that uses a PD oil pump ... which every engine has used as long as engines have been around.

That engine would be extremely tired, mine has ~32psi hot at idle with 0W-20 in it.
Yeah, if an engine with the traditional old fashioned PD oil pump only has 7 psi at hot idle when it should have 30-32 psi, then the oil pump and/or oiling system isn't healthy. I'm betting the oil pressure sensor is after the oil filter, so the oil pressure sensor would not indicate any difference in filter restriction effect. Only time that can happen with the oil pressure sensor after the filter is when the oil pump is in pressure relief.

Yeah, if an engine with the traditional old fashioned PD oil pump only has 7 psi at hot idle when it should have 30-32 psi, then the oil pump and/or oiling system isn't healthy. I'm betting the oil pressure sensor is after the oil filter, so the oil pressure sensor would not indicate any difference in filter restriction effect. Only time that can happen with the oil pressure sensor after the filter is when the oil pump is in pressure relief.
And relief pressure is 65psi BTW, if that's helpful. You remember seeing my 0-60 video where I hit the relief.

And yes, at least one of the oil pressure sensors is WELL after the filter, situated at the front of the engine above the timing cover, I can show you a pic if that would be helpful.

And relief pressure is 65psi BTW, if that's helpful. You remember seeing my 0-60 video where I hit the relief.

And yes, at least one of the oil pressure sensors is WELL after the filter, situated at the front of the engine above the timing cover, I can show you a pic if that would be helpful.
How many oil pressure sensors does it have, and for what reason if there are more than one?

How many oil pressure sensors does it have, and for what reason if there are more than one?
It has at least two IIRC, one is used for the VCT system, that's the one on the top of the timing cover, but that's not the one used for the gauge, because when my VCT one crapped out on my Charger the gauge was still reading properly.

It has at least two IIRC, one is used for the VCT system, that's the one on the top of the timing cover, but that's not the one used for the gauge, because when my VCT one crapped out on my Charger the gauge was still reading properly.
It doesn’t have a “sensor”.
It has a pressure switch, and the ECU makes a calculation based on oil temperature and RPM…

It uses a pressure switch that only trips on when the pressure falls below something in the 4-7 psi range.

I’ve seen several that we’re making 7-9 psi on a manual gauge at hot (219-221) idle.

Back