$329 torque wrench at Harbor Freight

how about a link.. cant find it.

speaking of links.. this one is an EXACT replica of my precision instuments split beam torque wrench
HF ICON

Precision instruments

Even the specs are the same.. makes you wonder if its a knockoff or a private labeling.

only one I could find is not 329$ shows 159.99
It does torque angle.

Seems like a nice piece but I would need one once every 5 years.. and I love my split beam for anything not requiring angle.

Last edited:

That link shows up as this
image_2022-02-08_210242.png

This link works

For the price I'd try to use the 160$ model if I used it everyday.. I'd probably spend on the snapon.
330$ is abit rough for HF but then again it is lifetime warranty.. so that would give me a little more confidence.

I get the email about it today. I can't justify that kind of money for anything from HF. I'll stick to my PREC3FR250F which cost me about half of the HF tool.
I have that 250 ft-lb PI split beam wrench you linked. I am very disappointed with it and with PI in general.

I bought it last year, have put it through less that 50 cycles, none of them over 150ft-lb, and recently sent it to an accredited calibration lab. It tested 12% high at 50 ft-lb, and 4.3% high at 150 ft-lb. After a calibration adjustment, all test values were within +/- 1% of the target value.

I also have a 600 in-lb PI split beam that I bought in 2020. It tested 5.4% high at 120 in-lb and 4.3% high at 360 in-lb. It had less than 50 cycles on it at time of testing. After a calibration adjustment, all test values were within +/- 1.2% of the target value.

PI split beam wrenches are hugely overrated, IMO. You get a wrench that fails to meet its 4% accuracy specification, you get a pseudo calibration certificate with no test data on it, you get a wrench that was very likely not tested after manufacturing, and you get only a 90 day warranty.

More likely, both are sourcing from the same vendor in Taiwan.

If eclatorq is still making these for HF, $329 for the 1/2" is a great deal.

I just wished it went up to 300 ft-lbs.

I have that 250 ft-lb PI split beam wrench you linked. I am very disappointed with it and with PI in general.

I bought it last year, have put it through less that 50 cycles, none of them over 150ft-lb, and recently sent it to an accredited calibration lab. It tested 12% high at 50 ft-lb, and 4.3% high at 150 ft-lb. After a calibration adjustment, all test values were within +/- 1% of the target value.

I also have a 600 in-lb PI split beam that I bought in 2020. It tested 5.4% high at 120 in-lb and 4.3% high at 360 in-lb. It had less than 50 cycles on it at time of testing. After a calibration adjustment, all test values were within +/- 1.2% of the target value.

PI split beam wrenches are hugely overrated, IMO. You get a wrench that fails to meet its 4% accuracy specification, you get a pseudo calibration certificate with no test data on it, you get a wrench that was very likely not tested after manufacturing, and you get only a 90 day warranty.
That sucks. I still have more faith in the PI wrench than the HF wrench. @Trav had turned me onto them, he has been using the PI wrenches for years IIRC w/o issue.

Reactions: JC1

I have had mine for years and use it a lot, it is still accurate under 4%, it is possible the initial calibration was off.

Back