303 Aerospace protectant question

303 is very easy to over apply, and their sprayers are no help. Best to spray it on a microfiber applicator and then apply to the surface. Much less product is used and is much easier to buff off.

I really like the darkening affect that it has on hard plastic.

Durability can be poor around cleaners, as when cleaning the inside of the windshield. Rag hitting the top of the dash can strip the 303.

No such problems on my Ford. I have no idea if it really works. Plastics just hold up better than they used to. Does make plastic slick and it has to be stored in a narrow temp range.

Kayakers favor it for what it's worth.

303 seems like watered down Armor All to me. All the times I've used it,after a rain the piece that was 303'd would always turn white and chalky. I think a good spray wax on exterior plastics blows away using a protectant type product. Eagle One Nano Wax makes exterior plastics look great (on new condition plastics,it won't temporarily "revive" faded plastics like protectants do). Plus after a rain it never tunes white and chalky.

Been using 303 for vehicle interiors, kayaks etc.
I spray on MF (light, not heavy), work it in a section (like a door panel, half the dash), then work a clean MF over the area before moving on to another section. I don't put it on heavy, and don't let it sit. After a few sections, I cull out the 1st MF then use the the drying one in place, bringing in a unused MF for the drying part. I go through a few MF towels just doing one interior.

303 is complete snake oil. I put it out door grill cover many years back. 6 months later the cover looked like it has been bleached.

Surprised by the negative comments. 303 is one of the most highly regarded detailing products on the market. I’ve used it in the past. Worked well. I currently use Sonus Motorkote for the engine. I don’t use anything for the interior at the moment.

Seriously. All the comments about how it's chalky and it doesn't last long leads me to believe that people are applying it incorrectly. Spraying a little into a microfiber and covering a single panel at a time, then buffing off with a clean MF has always given me great results. With this stuff, a little goes a long way.

I can't speak for durability and duration of the shine/protection because I've only had my car for 5ish months, and every customer I've used 303 with has said that it lasts.

Originally Posted By: buster
Surprised by the negative comments. 303 is one of the most highly regarded detailing products on the market. I’ve used it in the past. Worked well. I currently use Sonus Motorkote for the engine. I don’t use anything for the interior at the moment.

Actually, the interior is the only place I like it...it's a dust magnet on sidewalls...

I hit the entire engine bay with a good dose of 303 today. Dried nicely. Looks great. Compares very well to Sonus Motorkote.

I hit the entire engine bay with a good dose of 303 today. Dried nicely. Looks great. Compares very well to Sonus Motorkote.

Did you wipe it down, or just let it dry? Did it pool up anywhere? I have a test mule here I'd like to try it on.

I love Sonus Motorkote but I ran out and was able to get 303 at Ace Hardware. Being I can also use this on the interior I will be sticking with it.

I sprayed the entire engine, but I didn't directly hit the fan belt. I was surprised it dried w/o much wiping bc the instructions say to wipe. However, the link i posted from that UK Detail shop said otherwise. What I would do is wipe after it dries to buff it out a bit and to help it bond even further. I've used 303 before but not like this. It really is a great product.

I sprayed the entire engine, but I didn't directly hit the fan belt. I was surprised it dried w/o much wiping bc the instructions say to wipe. However, the link i posted from that UK Detail shop said otherwise. What I would do is wipe after it dries to buff it out a bit and to help it bond even further. I've used 303 before but not like this. It really is a great product.

I like it too, I will give it a try on in an engine bay soon. Thanks.

Sorry, what exactly is 303 doing under the hood?

Uv isn't a concern... What other property besides availability, makes this so good for underhood applications?

This is a silicone emulsion, right?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Uv isn't a concern... What other property besides availability, makes this so good for underhood applications?

Mostly for looks and protective qualities. Obviously not much UV under the hood but plenty of heat and 303 is a know protective covering. Also helps to keep new dirt from sticking to the surface. Should make cleanings less common and easier when required.

I'm on the lookout for something cheaper.

Did you use the stock sprayer?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Mostly for looks and protective qualities. Obviously not much UV under the hood but plenty of heat and 303 is a know protective covering. Also helps to keep new dirt from sticking to the surface. Should make cleanings less common and easier when required.

I'm on the lookout for something cheaper.

Right. Protective covering from heat/keeps plastic/rubber hoses pliable. Can also be used in the interior, which came out great too. So I use it for both engine/interior. I've used 303 before with good success, but I've been using the Sonus Motorkote the last 3 years or so. I like the way the 303 dries better than the Sonus and I like having just one product I can use for both engine/interior.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Did you use the stock sprayer?

No I bought a sprayer from Ace Hardware. Worked well. I'm not sure how good it really is though. Did the job.

*Of course the day after I did all this it rained. And it's supposed to rain all week here LOL. Just my luck. That's usually what happens when I detail my car.

Back