Maiden voyage of my new products; mostly impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based mostly on recommendations received here on BITOG (THANKS!), I tried out some new products on my wife's Mazda 6 yesterday.

The main products used for the first time were Duragloss car wash, Griot's Garage wheel cleaner, Duragolss 105 polish and cleaner, Collinite 845, and Aerospace 303 protector. I did not take photos, and the car is being driven this morning, but wow, did it look nice!

As a stand alone product only taking into account near term aesthetics (not long term durability), I'm not sure the DG 105 performs apprecialbly better than Nufinish. It is easy to use and does not dust up and leave white residue, which is nice. The wheel cleaner worked fine, ditto for the 303 (which I like a lot on tires, weather stripping, interior plastics, exterior black plastic trim, and engine bay rubber and plastic).

What really impressed me was the Collinite 845. Applied about an hour after I had washed and thoroughly used the DG 105 as directed, it went on (with a foam pad) and off (with a microfiber towel) very easily and really made the shine pop and the Sangria Red paint appear a little richer and deeper than with the DG 105 by itself. If the level of protection is as advertised I will be very satisfied.

I usually hand detail this car top to bottom 2 or 3 times a year and I think all the products I tried are keepers. I might introduce this car to a clay bar later this year, but besides that I think I found my new "kit".

Originally Posted By: cathy
When would you use Collinite 845 vs Nufinish?

As a cleaner and polish, I used to use Nufinsh a couple times a year and thought it worked well for its intended purpose. Even then, I would top the NF with a nonabrasive carnuba wax if I had time; just a habit I guess.

I was not attempting to compare Nufinish to Collinite, but NF and the Duragloss 105 seem like similar products to me which I why I made the NF reference. I have both products in my kit now, but I don't see the NF getting used very often in the future if my DG / Collinite combo holds up well.

If your using Nufinish and the DG 105 I'd probably alternate using them. Since you said you use them a few times throughout the year. Nufinish has some very mild diminishing polishing agents to help remove microscratches. The 105 has chemical cleaners in it. Duragloss makes #101 that's very similiar to Nufinish except the #101 doesn't stain trim or leave white powder behind. Try some #101 when the NF runs out. About $11 plus shipping. Or order a few things on Amazon and get free shipping.

edit: Eventhough DG calls 105 a polish it really isn't. A turbo version of 105 is their marine/rv sealant, 501 i believe it is. A super charged version of #101 is their Swirl Mark Remover(forget the number). Which has additional polishing agents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ddub
Based mostly on recommendations received here on BITOG (THANKS!), I tried out some new products on my wife's Mazda 6 yesterday.

The main products used for the first time were Duragloss car wash, Griot's Garage wheel cleaner, Duragolss 105 polish and cleaner, Collinite 845, and Aerospace 303 protector. I did not take photos, and the car is being driven this morning, but wow, did it look nice!

As a stand alone product only taking into account near term aesthetics (not long term durability), I'm not sure the DG 105 performs apprecialbly better than Nufinish. It is easy to use and does not dust up and leave white residue, which is nice. The wheel cleaner worked fine, ditto for the 303 (which I like a lot on tires, weather stripping, interior plastics, exterior black plastic trim, and engine bay rubber and plastic).

What really impressed me was the Collinite 845. Applied about an hour after I had washed and thoroughly used the DG 105 as directed, it went on (with a foam pad) and off (with a microfiber towel) very easily and really made the shine pop and the Sangria Red paint appear a little richer and deeper than with the DG 105 by itself. If the level of protection is as advertised I will be very satisfied.

I usually hand detail this car top to bottom 2 or 3 times a year and I think all the products I tried are keepers. I might introduce this car to a clay bar later this year, but besides that I think I found my new "kit".

Its nice to get the real "kit" off the internet and not have to do everything trial and error. The DA was a real game-changer for me. All of a sudden the most time consuming part of the wash and wax is the wash. I've decided to get one of those "nanoskin" bonnets for the DA which substitute for a claybar. They apparently work very well.

P.S. It seemed to me that DA actually worked better with hard sealant as opposed to liquid sealant--less absorption of the product into the pad, more direct application to the finish. Elbow grease issues are irrelevant to the DA. You might want to try the Collinite 476 product after you are done with your liquid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Is Collinite 845 strictly a sealant wax without abrasives? Is it synthetic ?

Yes and yes.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Is Collinite 845 strictly a sealant wax without abrasives? Is it synthetic ?

I guess most people would say it was a hybrid, because it has carnauba wax in it. The distinction these days is a little like the distinction between synthetic oil and conventional--kind of blurred. Carnauba wax or not, there are plenty of weird chemicals in there, that's for sure. I left the tin lid of the Collinite 476 every so slightly loose and when I went out to the garage the next morning, I thought something had died---I'm not speaking figuratively, either---it smelled exactly like a dead animal.

I'm a little perplexed about using Collinite to top some other product--the main advantage to the stuff is the way those weird chemicals make it cling to the finish. Why would you want to give that up? You can always top the Collinite with a low-chemical (and probably dust attracting) beauty wax if you want to warm up the shine a little I guess.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
All of a sudden the most time consuming part of the wash and wax is the wash.

Many professional detailers will do a rinseless wash like a Duragloss rinseless to save time and labor with excellent results. Some have remarked if they had to go back to doing traditional washes they would leave the business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
All of a sudden the most time consuming part of the wash and wax is the wash.

Many professional detailers will do a rinseless wash like a Duragloss rinseless to save time and labor with excellent results. Some have remarked if they had to go back to doing traditional washes they would leave the business.

I guess that's the next time-saving step, although since I only do a real wash once a month that might be asking a lot of it.

Originally Posted By: Ddub
I'm not sure the DG 105 performs apprecialbly better than Nufinish. It is easy to use and does not dust up and leave white residue, which is nice.

I actually had a lot of problems with Duragloss leaving white residue and staining trim, which is why I recently decided to stop using it.

I was recently trying to remove the stains from Duragloss on my trim.

This Griot's wax remover did almost nothing. I would not recommend it:
http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-1103...ots+wax+remover

This Meguiar's black trim restorer made the stains disappear and made the trim look good, likely by masking the stains like the old peanut butter trick. We'll see how long it lasts, but so far I'm happy with the performance.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g15812-ultimate-black/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back